You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Gas Station Convenience Store

Real Ghost Stories

Gas Station Convenience Store

 

This took place in Michigan. In the late 1990's. I worked the afternoon shift, 3pm until midnight. At a gas station convenience store, called Stop and Shop I worked those hours for about a year and a half. I worked alone in this store on my shift. Once in awhile I worked until 5am the next morning when others never showed up to work.

Where this store was located was on the main drag more in the country where the houses were far between. A store was to the right of it but, it closed at 5pm. Other then that was a house kiddie corner from this stop and shop store and one house way down the road from it. No street lights. Only the lights to where the gas pumps were.

I worked for about nine months, before anything took place here. Then one night near midnight I heard the cans in the back room making noise as if someone was throwing them into a container of sorts. In between my customers that night, I went to look in the back room to see if anyone was there. I seen no one. So thought maybe it was mice or something. I went back to work.

All was quiet then about 1 am heard the noise again. I just figure it was mice and kept doing my work. When my manager came in at 5am I told her I heard noise in the back room, where we kept the filled and empty cans from beer and soda. She said she call in the guy who checks for mice and bugs. I left and went home.

My manager called me the next day told me the guy found no signs of mice or bugs, and that they could not figure out what I heard. There was no holes in the walls that anything from the outside could come in so I said okay.

I went back to work a few nights later and nearing midnight I heard the noise again, still didn't think nothing of it. I went to the back room to get some items to stock the cooler with. When I came out there was five guys in the store. I smiled at them and went to the counter where the cash register was. One guy stood next to the counter with his back to me. He appeared to have something in his coat pocket that he kept his right hand into. And by what I could see of him he was Hispanic. He never spoke at all. And the other four guys, where Caucasian they got beer, chips all kinds of snacks.

One guy came up and brought some of the stuff, put it on the counter, and one of the Caucasian told me this was a robbery. I told them "Let me help you get the money out" which I took the whole drawer out and set it on the counter. While doing that pushed the silent alarm with my leg. They told me thanks and left the store.

The police came and a report taken. I was off work for two days. I came back and just before midnight I heard that noise in the back room of the cans being tossed into something. I still was not afraid thinking of what it could be and did not relate it to nothing.

A week later the noise happen again just before midnight. At exactly midnight the five same guys came back into the store. And I already knew what they are going to do, and I am alone but kept my cool. Yes they robbed me again and, again I used the silent alarm for the police and file another report told the police it happens right at midnight.

I then went to the daytime shift after the second time I was robbed. Then this gal that worked with us Crystal (not this gal's real name), was pregnant and in labor. She had to leave work so I went in, to cover the rest of her shift. Got there about 8pm. At just before midnight the cans noise happen again. And I thought "oh no am I going to be robbed again". Sure enough right at midnight in came the same five guys and the Hispanic man always stood in front of me with his hand in his pocket. He never spoke it was always one of the other guys.

The police came, I made out another report. I called my manager told her to come and run the store the rest of the night or I was closing up the store and going home where I would be safe. She told me I had to stay there or be fired. I said fine I am fired. I handed the police officer the keys said "it's got to be locked up before you leave I have been fired".

I tried to find out why that happen, that I heard the noise just before midnight and the robberies were always at midnight while I worked. Never found out anything about the store if anything happen there. But certainly something warned me of what was going to happen.

Two months later those same guys robbed that same store a total of six times. And so the police staked the store out and finally they were caught. They were very polite robbers, as they always told me thanks for helping them. They did that to the others they robbed too.

I seen Crystal after she had her baby, she told me when she was robbed at noon twice, she heard noises in the back room. Not sure if the manager heard anything before the robbers came in or not.

Other hauntings by Flutterofwings

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Flutterofwings, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-23)
Heavens! That is scary. In this story, not so much the ghost aspect of it, since whatever was making the noise was trying to help you. This story fits a good quote I heard once, "Give me ghosts anyday. The living are scary enough."

Being robbed multiple times? How frightening. It's good that you kept your cool all those times. I agree with some of the other posters, your boss seems very cruel. I bet she wouldn't have liked to stay in the store after that.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-19)
[at] mustang, yes it was odd with the number 12 for some reason was the times. And yes Crystal and I were protected from something watching over us. Lets just say the day my boss fired me she done me a favor.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-17)
It sounds to me, like most everyone else on here has said, that you have an intelligent haunt that was warning as well as protecting you and Crystal. What a horrible boss that woman was. It's no wonder that she is working for someone else rather than owning her own business. Thank God and whoever the spirit was helping you, that you and Crystal did not get hurt. That is strange that your store got robbed at noon and at midnight.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-15)
Thanks Joie, glad you like this site. I have not been here to long myself and most people on here are very nice. And write how they feel about stories not sugar coat them. Hope to read many stories you write too.
Joie (1 stories) (39 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-14)
Flutterofwings- amen to that! Glad to hear you are safe and sound now. I just joined this page and I think everyone is amazing- I love the stories and the people are so friendly!
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-13)
Thank you Joie and Chris for your comments to my story. I think more then a Haunt was watching over me, but something more powerful then that to keep me safe. After that I didn't work in a hick place like that alone on any shift.
I did work in a big department store/grocery store and worked there for four years and never had anything like this happen again... Once in a life time is enough for me lol
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-13)
NP whitebufflo, I know you weren't putting me down, I was just making a statement that teens without children don't have to think what will happen if they quit a job, where as I did have to think of that... So don't worry about it.
Joie (1 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-13)
That's pretty awesome! Clearly that's an intelligent haunt, not many interact with people. You are lucky two fold- you experienced something that amazing, and the robbers were not violent!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-13)
Wow.Now that was wierd. I bet when you heard that noice in the back of the store you probably got some chills running down your spine. I agree with you that that was a warnig. I just wonder who it may have come from. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-13)
You are right, I did not yet have my children to care for, and make sure that they had a home in which to live. In a perfect world a teenager would not have to help in paying the rent to support the extra children introduced into a home after their parents were gone, and both parents would be able to work to pay the bills, and the town economy would have been just right that one parent was all that was needed to keep all fed, a teenager would not be turned down for a job as there were not enough around for the adults and the loss of a part time job during the school year would not have been that important.
I am sorry if it sounded as if I was telling you that you should have left after the first robbery, what I meant to point out was the strength in your character for hanging on there and hoping beyond hope that this would not happen again. And praying that each night (or morning) you were able to go pick up your children at the sitters and once again be safe in your home. I did not mean to belittle your decision, and if you took it that way, I am truly sorry.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
[at] Bellissima. Crystal who was pregnant at the time she was robbed said she heard noises from that room But she said she just thought maybe it was just her imagaination since she was pregnant and afraid of a lot of things at the time. What I can't believe out of this is it was midnight with me and with her it was 12 noon... I guess must of been something with the # 12 there.
[at] whitebufflo, I suppose a teenager don't think of fiances when they are young. But I needed my job as I had two children to shelter and feed. And living in a small town not much to look for, as far as a job went. I guess our police are Andy Griffith and Don Knotts. I once got into an auto accident on the way to work in the winter time. I called the police from the house of the man I slid and ran over his fence. It took the police two hours, by the time they got to the accident they said I lost control a mile back. I only lived two blocks from this guy. But I got the ticket anyways. Later on he got fired from being a police officer this cop, as he pull ladies over tell them if they went to bed with him they not get a ticket.
Many of us women called and made complaints and he was fired and banned to ever be a cop in our state again.
[at] bogienova I sure do live in a small rural area in Michigan. My boss in that store, just thought I would never quit. She tried to get me back to work at that store the hours I wanted, if I came back. I told her NOPE not again.
I never much thought of getting a job on the intenet but I know there are jobs to get on here or own a business. My son and his friend just got a business going on here a few weeks ago they are doing fairly well.
Thanks all for your comments.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
Hi Flutterofwings. Did you ever ask around, after you quit, whether the clerks who were working during the other robberies ever heard anything before they were robbed? If you were the only one who heard the noises, I was thinking that maybe your spirit was someone you knew. Since you've had other experiences it could be possible that one of your other spirits was attached to you, keeping an eye on you. Someone who had a reason to give you the warnings. Either way, I'm glad you weren't hurt. I really enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing it.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
When I got robbed at the convenience store I was working in while in high school, (well, technically it was not me who was robbed, it was the "older gentleman" that worked with me that night. He was in his late twenties) I calmly hung up my apron, unclipped my name tag and placed it on the back desk, and just walked out the door.
I needed the money too, I was heading out of town right after grad and was paying rent etc. Never did the thought of financial obligations enter my mind that I can recall. All I can remember thinking was if that woman had used that gun, I would not have to worry if I had made enough on that check to pay my bills.
We did not have any cameras (what little shop did in the 80's?) and just a brief description of the woman as she had out attention on the weapon, and not her.
I do not remember if they ever caught her, but I did not care, either. I was out of there. Surprisingly enough, years later I got another job, a couple of cities away, in a convenience store. I never even imagined putting myself back in that situation, and here I was working thirds alone.
I just can not believe that these boys were allowed to rob the place repeatedly. Sure, at the pump I can see, as the person does not have to enter the store and you may not get any kind of description, but this does make me think, like Tonith hinted at, that Don Knotts and Andy Griffith were running the towns security and maybe one of the boys was Opie. That is just crazy. Six times...
Thank you.
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
It sounds like you live in a rural area of Michigan. I live in a large metropolitan area of Texas and it is pretty much standard practice to have two or more people on staff if the location is a 24/7 operation. Sounds like your old boss was trying to run her business on the cheap and it cost her and could have cost you too.
Her actions were deplorable and maybe the resident ghost didn't like how she was running the business either... Hence the warnings prior to the robberies you endured. I understand how small town living can be... Jobs can be scarce... And the jobs that are available sometime come with bosses who think they can abuse you because there aren't any other options for you in town...That's why the internet is cool... Ever thought of starting your own business? Just a thought...
Peace and safety your way,
bogienova 😊
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Thanks [at] bogienova for your comment to my story. Who knows about the police in my area. They just take their time to get around to do anything.
As for my boss, she was a trip that is for sure. She knew the people that worked for her needed the money, and so she took advantage of everyone that worked for her. Knowing darn well that Crystal was pregnant and it hurt her legs to be on them to long, and yet our boss, still made the schedule for her to work long hours.
In the area that I live and Crystal lives in, the jobs are not easy to find. And now they are lots harder to find then when this happen.
Shortly after all this happen, some of the other workers who worked for our boss quit and she had to hire temps, to keep the store open 24/7.
I often told our boss that from night fall to day light that two people should work those hours. But the boss would not do that.
I have not been to this store at night time since all that happen. But have talked to others who have. They tell me two people work at the store on all shifts now. The boss I worked for now works else where herself. Hmmmm I wonder why? Ha ha ha
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Any kind of all night store is going to be more likely to be targeted by the criminal sorts...I'm wondering what was wrong with your local police department that they didn't investigate the matter more fully after you were robbed the first time!? Thank God you weren't hurt! And what kind of cold hearted monster was your boss at the time to try and make you stay there after you had been robbed for the third time! At less your ghost buddy was trying to warn you!
Peace and safety to you,
Bogienova
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
[at] tonith, I was a single mom, just bought a house, put all my saved earnings into this house and just couldn't up and move again. I should of given up the second time it was robbed, but I didn't. I still live where I did at the time this took place. It's the only gas station in this area of the country to go to. I however use a credit card at the pump now, and don't go into the convience store.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
I don't want to sound like Andy from Mayberry but if I was working someplace that got robbed all the time I would be looking for a new job in a new town. How do people live like this?
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
[at] rhodes68, this store has changed hands twice now and is called something else. I asked the gal at the Library hear it, if she knew anyone killed in that store. She said "nope not that she knew of". And I can tell you that gal knows this area well. Now next time I see the gal from the library, I will ask her what was on that piece of land, before it became a gas station/convience store. As it could come from that.
But it also just could of been a ghost of something, not only warning me but perhaps protecting me too...
[at] Kimsouth0 yes something helped me. I never did get hurt, tied up or anything. I was actually THANKED FOR HELPING take the drawer out and giving it to them. That is what was the oddest thing to me of the robbers to actually thank me on their way out of the store.
[at] 6senses The back room had no door, there were two doors however but they were, where I could see both of them. The room in the back that had the soda and beer in it had no door. Now they could not of broken in that way. And my boss never mention the back door broke in either.
Now they could have banged on the walls, I suppose to warn me, but how would the cans make a sound? As they were not real close to the walls. If anything if they banged hard enough it would of made the cans of beer and soda that were still un-opened fall off the shelf and burst open. But the noise I heard didn't sound like that at all. Nor were there any open when I did check.
Just a mystery of some sorts. And for me being fired was far better then being killed or hurt. I had young children at home, and they neeeded me.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR COMMENTS.
6senses (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Well, either those guys broke in the back first to get beer and soda, then came to the front for money, or: There are ghosts who were trying to protect you. They were probably hoping that you would go in the back room to see what the noise was, so the men could take the money without you even having to face them. You would have been in the room while the men walked around the counter to the machine. Of course, you would have been blamed for taking the money, but you were fired anyway! 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
First of all, let me say I am glad you were not hurt! How terrifying to have that threat!

It must have been ment as a type of warning. Wether or not 'whoever' was making the noises was hurt or killed may be irrelevant. The 'whoever' making the noise had apparently some tyoe of traumatic experience, trying to warn you may be the only thing they can figure to help.

I enjoyed this stories, as I have all of your others! Thanks for sharing!

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
What an experience Flutterofwings! Obviously the noise was no coincidence but a sort of warning. Could it also be that whatever or whoever was warning you had also been protecting you at the same time? Quite possibly. Thank God you came out of it unharmed!
It would be interesting to know if there had been a robbery prior to that, maybe way back, and someone had been killed. Your story reminds me of a similar experience I heard from a friend years ago and when he searched into the history of the place he found his answers there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: