You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Ugly and Laughing Clown

Real Ghost Stories

The Ugly and Laughing Clown

 

This took place in the late 1950's. The basement of my aunt and uncle's house was where they lived until they built a house onto the top of the basement. It was large but had very little lighting in it. Which most of the bulbs to the lighting in the ceiling were taken out. And only three worked, one by the steps, the bathroom and the largest room. The lights were turned on by pull strings.

As children we were too short to be able to pull the string to turn on the light. The basement had many small windows around it, but none of them open. The day time playing in the basement one could see okay, with the many windows around it. At night time was very dark.

My younger sister and I had to spend all our summers, when out of school at my aunts house. My cousin Maxie (not her real name) had a nice size big bedroom. In it was lots of stuffed animals and these ugly clowns. I would often beg her to put them away while my sister and I, was staying in her room to sleep at night. She would tell me I was a cry baby just wanting to go home before I was suppose to. No matter how much I ask my mom "why we had to be there every summer?" I never did get an answer to those many questions.

One night shortly after my sister and I were there at my aunts house, my sister woke up and had to go to the bathroom. We had to get up and walk past the shelf, where the clowns were. Down many steps to the dark basement, where the bathroom was. I held onto my sister's hand as we went down the stairs, only a light to show us down the steps. We had to cross over to the other side of the basement, to the bathroom in the dark.

We made it to the bathroom, but while in the bathroom we could hear laughing. My sister is hanging onto my hand really tight. I am trying to be brave. I left the light on in the bathroom, as it showed us to the steps, instead of walking in total darkness. We climbed all the steps and ran back to our cousin's bedroom. On her shelf where the clowns were, one was looking right at us and laughing. We got into bed and covered our heads.

My cousin Maxie woke up and wonder why, the bedroom light was on. "We told her that ugly clown was looking at us and was laughing". She got up and went to that ugly clown, took it off the shelf and threw it onto my sister and I. Making us scream so loudly, our aunt came into the room, to see what was the matter. We told her of the laughing, ugly clown.

So our aunt took the clown out of the room, turned off the light. I am looking at that shelf in the semi darkness and I can hear that clown laughing again. I just covered my head up and got close to my sleeping little sister.

Some days went by and nothing happen. Maxie and my sister and I went to the basement to play, one rainy day. I said "Did you hear that?". Maxie tells me she heard nothing. I said "it's that ugly clown again laughing". She told me I was lying. I asked her what her mom did with the clown? Maxie said she didn't know. She said she has had those clowns, in her room for years and she never seen or heard them laugh.

Awhile later we were outside playing, Maxie, my sister and I. We went to go around the corner of the house, when I stopped abruptly! I came face to face with that clown. My scream was heard across the street. The lady from across the street came over, and so did our aunt from inside the house. Maxie ran into the house. I told my aunt and the lady across the street about the ugly, laughing clown. They made me think I was hearing and seeing things, and all would be fine.

Some time later I was in the basement going to the bathroom, with my little sister. We had the door closed to the bathroom. We could hear Maxie screaming and banging on the door to get in. We let her in and the lights went out. I could hear Maxie scream, my little sister crying for mama and the laughing of the clown. It got nearer and nearer to us. It drowned out the crying and the screaming in the bathroom.

My uncle came into the basement, to see what was going on. He turned on the light by the stairs. His daughter flung herself into, her daddies arms still screaming. Then she said "I was going to come down here and scare the cry babies". "When I got down here near them, I seen the clown off my shelf looking mean and laughing". Our uncle took us all upstairs to their room. "See he said the clown is still there", pointing towards a closet in his bedroom. We all looked and didn't see, any clown in there.

We went to Maxie's room and there sat that ugly, laughing clown. Our uncle ask his wife if she put it back in Maxie's room. She had not. Yet it was there. My aunt took all the clowns off the shelf and burnt them. Told us we have no more problems with them again. My sister and I went home. We told our mom we were not going back to that house again, something was wrong in that house. We never did have to go back again.

I seen Maxie about three years ago at a wedding. I asked "Do you remember those clowns, you use to have when you were young?". Her face turned white, she dropped her glass, which held her drink in it onto the floor. She told me "NEVER to mention about those clowns, or any clown to her again". I learned from Maxie's sister that Maxie's room was closed up and locked. That Maxie and her shared a bedroom. When they moved from that house, Maxie's stuff that was in the room stayed with the house, still with the lock on the door. I am now in my 50's, and to this day still afraid of clowns.

Other hauntings by Flutterofwings

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Flutterofwings, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Amna2 (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
Whoa Flutterofwings!
What a creeepy story.Ugh!Those clowns, I hate clowns too. Sometimes they come in my dream and scare the daylights out of me. I too once had a dream of a clown haunting my house.Creeepy!
Amna
migelito23 (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-06)
Its like the movie chucky when a doll comes to life.
The good things its to burn those ugly clown dolls and
Lit them with fire, or the best thing to throw it on your
Enemies to scare them at night with that evil clown laugh.
I don't like clown dolls because they look creepy and especially
The old antique clown dolls that can be posses by evil spirits.
ghostseeker9 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-06)
I'm scared of clowns. If I see a clown, I want to get away from it as fast as possible. I don't think I will ever stop being scared of clowns. If I ever saw an ugly ghost clown, I think I would faint or scream.:)
cookie-eated-me (2 stories) (29 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
I don't hate clowns as such, but neither do I like them.

I know of one that would freak any clown hater out. Scared me as a kid. Still does, actually. In Blackpool Pleasure Beach, they have or had this huge laughing clown in a case. At one time, it laughed continuously, so you heard it anywhere you went in the pleasure beach. But some years ago, they made it coin operated, and last time I saw it, it was in the kids area of the fairground.

And don't forget that clown in poltergeist that attacked Robbie. 😨
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-28)
Ahh *Shudders* Creepy clown My mom have a bunch of them with music inside that head move. 😉
HoppysParanormal (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
I am scared to hell of clowns. I don't quite know if I should believe this or not. It is very, very odd and out of the ordinary. Thanks for sharing anyway and I think that your cousin was being an ignorant, self-minded cow for being that mean to you. Well done for being able to tell us though. 😆 ❤
moonfire2011 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
I was looking for crazy clown stories when I stumbled on this, lol! Wow this takes the cake. Did this happen for real? If so, it sounds like a portal to hell!
GaurdianGhost (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-05)
That's really freaky. When I was very young my brother locked me in his room at like 9 PM and turned off all the lights and made me watch Stephen kings "IT" and I swear to god ever since then I hate clowns, keep in mind, my moms side of the family is VERY connected with the paranormal kind, but in my house I hear stuff, crying,footsteps, even sometimes I see stuff out of the corner of my eye. Like shadows. But one time, after my brother moved out and I got his room, I woke up because I heard weird laughing, more like chuckling and I looked out my window which is right above my bed and I swear to god I saw the shadow of a balloon. I hate clowns. 😨
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
I thought I was going insane! I was sitting here looking around at other things to see if they were right. LOL. I was like I know I'm tired but this can't be happening. I knew I'd lose it one day I just didn't think it would happen at 25! Very very good joke. I'm impressed!
aya22 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
This has got to be the funniest April Fool's joke I've seen in a LONG time! Ditto, BJJ! Whoever did this, you are also my hero. ❤ 😆
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Me too. 😁
I've been going back to old stories, re-reading the comments and cracking up. Demon, clown, purple pants, big red nose... Omg whoever had the idea to do this, you are my hero. ❤
Hellquin (15 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
lol, this word switching is too funny! I totally love april fools day!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Good morning and welcome to YGS!
Alot of words are getting switched around for April Fool's. Just roll with the clowns, stuff will make sense again tomorrow. ❤
LucifersUnicornPuppet (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
can I just ask what a 'Big Red Nose' is? Sorry, I'm new here.

And I completley believe this, and I too am scared of clowns. ❤
Amibear (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-27)
thats just freaky... I have always hated clowns since I was little, but even then I had a clown teddy called Clarence and I loved him... Then I lost him but I was scared of any other clown:)
cosmocher (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-27)
Ugh! I hate clowns. They're so creepy.
I bet you had nightmares for years after that.
AliceLeftWonderland (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-23)
That's horrible!

A dislike, or fear, of clowns is often due to the way our minds are made up.
It's to do with the fact that, through the make up, we can't see their real expressions. Something that in our primal days, we would've shied away from.

You must've been petrified, and I'm so sorry for that.

All the best

- Alice
Xox
NearNR (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-23)
It is in the understanding that clowns are highly disliked by many, though it isn't without a knowledge I let you know of if not remind you of John Wayne Gacy, the killing clown, though in most situations I harper a dislike of clowns. I will not go into details though I will say... To that response earlier by AngelDemonGhost101 the name of that story is the Fear House... It basically attacks based on your fear... I have the collection.
AngelDemonGhost101 (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-02)
That is sooooo creepy, I was watching some random ghost show called A Haunting and there was this really creepy clown demon from hell came into the house and while this little boy was going to the bathroom similar to your story, the clown came out of nowhere and started to laugh mechanically and opened his mouth to show fangs. I screamed too as it looked realllyyyy evil. I also find it creepy as you had it taken from the room and it came back. Burning them was the best thing for your aunt to do. Well done for being brave. 😁
ghostsarereal2 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-02)
I hate clowns soo much! When my mum had to go to the hospital to give birth to my brother I had to sleep in my nans lounge on her sofa, with clowns hanging from the walls, on her floors, on her cabinet everywere! I was so frightened! 😭
galvon (142 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-28)
i got used to clown dolls and those evil looking dolls... Because they were in my room and evrywhere in the house... I watched chuckie when I was little and at night... I always duck under my blanket. Hoping none of the dolls would come alive... Tough when I'm older and have kids I'm never gana buy clown dolls etc... And not let them watch scary movies about it
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-28)
I have always hated clowns I have never liked them. That story is so freaky, and I can't believe that "Maxie" (or your cousin) left the room, and locked it. I would leave to! Ha ha! You should have burned those clowns years ago. What I think is weird is that, "Maxie" had never had an experience with the clowns before, and when you came... Have you had many other experiences with family or friends? Because I would love to hear them. I look forward to reading them, please inform me, when you have posted a story. Thanks!

Princess123 x ❤
no_average_angel (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-21)
That's freaky! I've always hated clowns! Mostly because you never know what they're hiding under all that make-up and who they really are! And your cousin is really mean! ❤
Spirit_Helper (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-13)
That's scary, I always hated clowns when I Watched that movie "IT" Thanks for posting it was very interesting.

Good luck ❤
ThatRandomGuy (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-11)
Damn...insta fave here. I too am afraid of clowns, but only because I walked in on my father watching "Killer Klowns from outer space". This one geniunly frightens me, as I'm still afraid of clowns 😨
-TRG
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-14)
[at] illusionation,peekaboo and angel_from_heaven. I would like to thank the three of you for making your comments to my story. Peekaboo if I knew what the name of your story was I would read and make a comment. So if you can tell me the name of it, I would appricate.

Clowns running off your blanket when you were small may of really happen you never can tell.
angel_from_heaven (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-20)
That's so freaky! Your cousin was really mean! I'm also scared of clowns, I don't know why but they just really creep me out! It's because of all the make-up, you really don't know what they're hiding under there or who they really are 😊 ❤
peekaboo (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-01)
OMG that was so scary I havea story about my bff bfriend when he was a baby. I have always been scared of clowns and maybe I now know why! If you see my story soon maybe you could read it and send me a comment and once again OMG! 😲
illusionation (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Thats funny, the very first memory I have period, is about this dream... Or at least I think it was a dream... That I had when I was maybe 3 or 4. I was still in a crib, and I remember my mom had draped this baby blanket just covered in clowns over the rails in the crib... Sometime in the night, I dreamed that the clowns started jumping off the blanket into my crib and oh gosh it was terrifying. I screamed and screamed until my mom came in.
😭
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Thanks Pakman555 and rubyrose_99 for making comments to my story. Sometime after this happen went to a carnival with mom and my sisters and cousins and aunt. I was trying to hit the round thing on the ground with a heavy hammer to make the bell ring at the time. A man came by hit it once and it rang the bell. I turned around as he said I can have the prize and looked up into a clowns face. I screamed and said I didn't want the prize.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: