You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Cereal Box

Real Ghost Stories

The Cereal Box

 

Recently, I've been thinking about all of the paranormal experiences that I have had in my home. As far as I can remember, there are only one or two that I have not shared with you. One of them, I'm not even sure can be considered a paranormal experience.

The one I am about to share with you however, most certainly can. It happened probably about 4-6 months ago now.

My sister was sitting in our Living Room watching her shows. I had come downstairs to talk to her a little bit, and maybe ask her to watch tv in her room because I wanted to play a couple video games.

We were talking about how we wanted to do something over the weekend, when all of a sudden we hear something fall off a shelf in the pantry. As soon as that happened, we were both really creeped out. Both of our parents had already gone upstairs, and the shelves in our pantry are too high for our cats to reach. I walk into the kitchen, and sitting in the pantry doorway, is a box of cereal. You would think, that if a box of cereal had fallen, it would have landed on its widest side right? This box was standing up; just like you would see it on a shelf. I stood in the entrance of our kitchen and just stared it. I wasn't sure what to do. Normally, I would pick the box up, and put it back on the shelf, but something was telling me that picking it up, was the last thing I wanted to do. I was frozen.

I must have only been standing there for a few seconds, but it felt like a lot longer. I very slowly left the room, keeping my eyes on the box for as long as I could. As soon as I got back to the living room, I told my sister what I had seen. She could tell that something about the whole situation had scared me. She went a little pale, and glanced at the kitchen door. I couldn't help but notice how tense things had become.

I honestly believe, that my sister and I made the right choice that night when we decided to go back upstairs, and not come back down until morning.

Other hauntings by Cole_Harris

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cole_Harris, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Quirky (2 stories) (23 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-27)
Hello Cole -- thank you for sharing an intriguing read concerning the cereal box mystery. The cereal box post compelled me to read your other three YGS posts.

Needless to say, I was fascinated with your posted paranormal experiences.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the other three stories (the white figure in front of your door X 2 and your niece's dinner show), the mention of two pet cats was absent until the cereal box story.

Similar to your one year old niece (then), observing an entity that wasn't seen by the other members of your family, some people believe that in addition to young children, pets can also see apparitions that are invisible to the human eye.

Accordingly, have your cats ever acted peculiarly while residing in your house?

Kind regards,
Mr. Quirky
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+6
6 years ago (2018-09-16)
Cole,
I wonder if you associate that brand of cereal with a particular person? Either one who has passed or one you've not heard from in some time.
I ask because I've had similar experiences in the past (not as dramatic, but odd) that turned out to be messages. One example would be that in preparation for a visit from my dad, I bought a bag of Orange Slices Candy. I can't stand the stuff, but he loves it. Anyway, it was about 2 days before he was due and that bag kept moving itself - from the cupboard to the middle of the floor. Of course, it made me think of my dad, and I was getting that 'dread' feeling, so I rang him up. No answer. I called again and again (every few hours) with the same result, no answer. I think it was the fourth attempt, perhaps the third, a friend of his answered - my dad was in the hospital having suffered a heart attack, that morning. About the time the candy first fell.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-09-16)
Aporetic - Cereal killer indeed, very clever 😁 That's very funny!
Don't know whether I've made my 50.

Regards, Melda
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-16)
Greetings, Cole

There is a likelihood the commotion was caused by your cats - if they're anything like mine, who follow me around the house. At times I'm hesitant to get off the bed and disturbing their slumber.

The noise of the cereal box falling would have spooked your cat (s) and caused them to scamper off. Sudden, loud and harsh sounds make them bolt. Depending on their personality, they might return to 'investigate' the new scene. Curious buggers. So they may or may not have been in the vicinity.

Out of all the possible objects, I wonder why the cereal box. Is there any relative or friend, who passed, who loved cereal and is trying to give you a clue as to who is around. Was the box where you left it when you checked the next morning? Why did you fear touching the box? A cereal killer might appear? LOL No offense intended. Just my warped sense of humour.

Go well.

Regards
Apo
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-16)
Cole - Thanks for your response.

Well if there wasn't a cat in sight then it seems as though something might have been trying to attract your attention. You have already established that there is a presence in your house so perhaps it's not so surprising.

You can also sage the house when nobody is around, asking whoever it is to leave. If you have a specific religion, also say a few prayers. Perhaps your sister will help you. You mentioned that she was a little fazed by the incident.

Regards, Melda
Cole_Harris (11 stories) (29 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-09-16)
Melda, I unfortunately have not done the house cleansing yet. A good portion of my family members are skeptics (even though they have witnessed stuff they cannot explain). I sadly am afraid of what they will think of me doing this, so I'm waiting until I have several days with the house completely to myself. As for the cats, both cats were upstairs with my parents when I had gone down to talk to my sister. They are in the habit of sleeping on our beds, and so will follow us to our rooms.

Though actually seeing anything is somewhat rare for me, I often get the sensation of being watched. Often coupled with an idea of the general location of who is doing the "watching." There have been times where I somehow know that going into a certain room is a bad idea. (I'm hesitant to say this next part, but here goes) I feel as though there have times where I have been able to feel when something really bad is about to happen. As in national tragedy bad. Mostly by way of an overwhelming sense of dread, and the need to watch the news more then usual.
Amor (5 stories) (64 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-09-16)
If the bottom is heavy (i.e. The contents are wrapped in a foil, preventing them from scattering inside the box) it is possible for any container to land on its "feet" so to speak. Happened to me lots of times. I'm only saying it has probability and therefore possible.

If you got spooked, however, well you have reasons. Consider doing a cleansing, as everyone suggests here. If it is indeed a ghost, it is trying to send you a message using a cereal box 😉

Keep us updated. Thanks.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-15)
Cole - I had a quick glance through your previous submissions and noted that it was suggested by lady-glow that you should do a house cleansing. Did you ever do this?

The cereal box - well it might not have been anything paranormal. If it was sturdily in place it certainly is strange that it fell down. I don't really know how you personally perceive the presence of a spirit. You have mentioned before that you have seen one (or two?) but do you actually "feel" their presence without seeing them? If so, did you have that sensation when you discovered the cereal box in the kitchen?

In contrast to RC I am very much a cat person and it is truly amazing how high they can climb. However if the cat had been the culprit it should have been close to the scene.

Consider doing that house cleansing.

Regards, Melda
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-09-15)
Hi, Cole. I just want to say, from experience, nothing is too high for cats. I have never had a cat for a pet, and never will myself, but I've shared apartments with people owned by cats, and even did some pet-sitting for other cat's pets 😁 and I have seen them climb to places that should be impossible.

Still, the cereal box should have landed on its side, as you said.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: