You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Unfortunate Woman

Real Ghost Stories

The Unfortunate Woman

 

Friends today the story I am going to tell you is about a true incident that took place with my mother and maternal aunt many years ago.

My mother with my maternal aunt was washing her clothes at a nearby well in the village. They were happily talking with each other suddenly a faint sound of a woman crying along with her child was heard from under the stone on which they were washing their clothes near the well. First, they felt that it was just their imagination, but soon the sound became so loud that everyone got scared to death and started trembling with fear, fearing their life.

Suddenly a woman appeared behind my mother and all the other women and told them, "what you all are hearing is not your imagination, it is a truth. But if you get scared of it, it will not spare all of you alive. So better ignore it and keep quiet."

The woman went far away from all of them, after telling them and vanished. All of them ignored the crying sound and came back.

Later on my maternal aunt and my mother came to know that, a young woman was cheated by her boyfriend who refused to accept her after she became pregnant with his child and he left her for another woman, who was rich in comparison to this poor woman. Soon she had a child born out of marriage and people used to make fun of her and insult her, every now and then asking her about her child's father making her life painful.

One day, she committed suicide by throwing herself in that well, but still people can hear her crying sound along with her little child, crying in the same way, loudly as his mother. Many people have reported seeing her near the well on full moon day in a sad state, along with her child and no one from my mother's village dares to go there on full moon day in that area, fearing their curse and getting scared of their lives. Perhaps, she is still looking for her unfaithful boyfriend to avenge her miserable death, which he caused due to his greed for money.

Whatever happened to that innocent woman was really unfortunate. I wish her boyfriend gets the punishment for what he did, but the woman who warned my mother and other woman, who were washing their clothes was totally different. I still wonder who she was. I would like to have an explanation about the another woman, which all the women, including my mother saw. Readers your opinion about the strange woman and this story are most welcome. Kindly explain me. I would be very thankful to you all.

Other hauntings by Amchi1986

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Amchi1986, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TravisCannabis (69 posts)
+8
1 year ago (2023-02-14)
No offense bro, but I don't understand your story. 😐 maybe the second lady was mother Teresa trying to help?🤷‍♂️😊
BaiAnina (3 stories) (41 posts)
+7
1 year ago (2023-02-14)
Hmm... If I'd have to guess, the woman who warned your mother and aunt might have been a local who's no stranger to the spirit in the well. Assuming that the person was a living human and not a spirit, which would be the preferred course of thinking in most bizarre situations. She could have been a witch doctor of sorts, or a faith healer. But of course, one can't rule out the possibility that it might be paranormal in nature.

You might find your answers upon further investigation of the place, or you could ask the locals if you still live there. Otherwise, your guess is as good as mine:')
Amchi1986 (18 stories) (71 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-02-14)
I just wanted to know who was that different faced woman who warned my mother and other's from readers point of view.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-02-13)
Hi Amchi1986

There's been mention of vengeful spirits in lots of cultures, like how India has the churel, Japanese culture speaks about the Onryo (which is the base of all The Grudge movies) so in that sense I believe that someone who dies in tragic or horrific circumstances possibly can become a vengeful/angry spirit due to the negativity that surrounds their passing, their final emotion, be it vengeance or anger, it leaves a negative impact behind and it doesn't matter who it's directed to, even unsuspecting strangers who might be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-02-13)
Hi Amchi.

Thanks for clarifying the part about your aunt. Just like yours, English is not my first language and, in this case, I would have named your aunt "my mother's sister in law".

Before any one comes claiming that I'm selectively criticizing your story, let me explain that what I intend through my observations and questions, is to understand better what you are trying to say.
In other words, I'm trying to open a bridge over the language barrier between a non English speaking writer and a non English speaking reader.

And not because I find any problem with your command of the English language, which, in my opinion, it's very good, but because I have experienced the frustration of not always finding the right words to express my ideas.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the way I understand your story is that your mother and aunt were not aware of the suicide that took place on the well, neither knew the unfortunate woman who died.

"Later on my maternal aunt and my mother came to know that, a young woman was cheated by her boyfriend"

Then, how was it possible for them to say that the two women were not the same?
What kind of curse fell/falls upon the people encountering this spectre? Do witnesses face the same fate regardless if they see the apparition on a full moon night, or if they hear their cries near the well?

Thank you in advance for any additional information to these questions and to the ones I asked in my previous comment.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-02-13)
A tragedy on so many levels. People judge and condemn without having even a single factual basis for their decision. And while I can understand certain people, and their ghosts, to be vengeful, why would they attack innocent bystanders? Oh well. Some things we shall never know.

Thank you for sharing, Amchi.
Amchi1986 (18 stories) (71 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-02-13)
See, the main thing is that the woman who warned my mother and maternal aunt was totally different (I.e, she had a different face from the woman who threw herself in the well with her child, to avoid becoming called a unwed mother) . To tell u the truth, lady glow she was not my mother's sister (but my maternal uncle's wife). Please read the story carefully. I do not have high expectations, from any reader. All the other woman, went back to their respective homes.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-02-12)
Hello Amchi.

It's sad that any woman would attempt against her child's and her own life as a consequence of the irresponsibility of a worthless man like the one you have described. Though, unfortunately, stories like this are very common and people shouldn't judge, nor condemn the victim.

I have some questions regarding some points of your story that aren't very clear to me, and will appreciate your feedback.

" was washing her clothes at a nearby well in the village... A faint sound of a woman crying along with her child was heard from under the stone on which they were washing their clothes... Everyone got scared to death and started trembling with fear, fearing their life... All of them ignored the crying sound and came back."

Did your mother tell you where all the women went after hearing the cries?
Do you know if they walk together as a group, or if they scattered around taking different directions?
Did your mother and her sister use to do the washing always in that well?
Was this the only time the cries were heard?
Any idea how long it had been since the woman took her life to the time your mother had this experience?
Is she aware of any woman dying after hearing the cries? If so, what was the way they died?
What kind of curse falls upon the victims of this spirit?

As for the "woman who warned my mother and other woman, who were washing their clothes was totally different."

What do you mean by her being "totally different"?
Was her physical appearance extraordinary, otherworldly, extraterrestrial, had extra body parts or lack of them?

I hope you don't take my comment the wrong way but, in my opinion, your expectations are too high if you hope for any member of this forum to know who or what this woman was based on the little information provided by your narrative.

Personally, I find it far fetched that the spirit of the dead woman would try to kill anyone just because they got scared of her cries. Just think, if the spirit had the strength/power to hurt any person, why wouldn't it go and finish the cheater boyfriend instead of attacking the innocent laundresses, and then be at peace after achieving its revenge?

Just my opinion.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: