You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grand Dad?

Real Ghost Stories

Grand Dad?

 

2003 was a tough year for my family. My cousin, Daniel, died from cancer at the age of nine on June 23rd. A few months later, my grand dad also died on December 1st. I was very close to my cousin, as he was the same age of my little brother, and was like another brother to me. I was Grand dad's little girl.

My grand dad was slightly ill before he died with cancer also, but he actually died of a stroke. I have always felt that my grand dad just couldn't handle burying his nine-year-old grandson and gave up, in a way.

I have only one nice picture of my grand dad. It is a small one that sits just inside a big frame, and inside the frame is a picture of my sister, my brother and myself. My grand dad's picture is pushed into the frame firmly, as for three years it kept falling out.

The previous tenants of my house claimed it was "haunted". My family, though we are not skeptics, have found perfectly normal explanations for the noises, such as the boiler, and there was a gap underneath the back door which explained "eerie noises". However, since my grand dad 's picture stopping falling out, there have been some unexplained happenings and noises.

First was the stairs creaking. This could be explained perfectly as we have cats in the house, which could make the noise when they walk up and down the stairs. However, after a few months of hearing this every single night, I got out of bed, intent on picking up which ever cat it was and bringing them to my room to stop the noise. When I got to the top of the stairs, there was no cat in sight, yet the creaking noise was still going on! I was very tired that night and dismissed it, going back to bed and falling asleep. A few weeks later the noise on the stairs was very loud, so I got up again and, again, there was no cat on the stairs. There was a cat sitting at the bottom of the stairs in the hallway, just looking at the third step. I'm scared of Crane Flies (Daddy Long Legs) and since this was November, I though that it was one of them! I quickly went back to my room, shut my door and got into bed.

My sister and I spoke a few weeks after Christmas about the noises, and decided that it was just because the house wasn't built very well, and that the noises were because of that.

Now, I dream of my grand dad and cousin a lot. I was very close to them as I've said and dreaming of them is not unusual at all.

But one night, after I was woken by noises outside (my house is close to pubs) I could remember dreaming of my grand dad, though I couldn't remember what had happened in the dream. I felt a sudden urge to go downstairs into the living room where my grand dad 's photo was. I was stood near the window, which looks into the back garden, looking at my grand dad's picture and felt sad because he wasn't there. I felt tears come to my eyes and I brushed them away quickly. I didn't want my grand dad's photo to see me crying. He wouldn't have liked it.

I turned to the window and pulled open the curtains a little to see outside. I could just see two of my cats by the light from the window, playing in the grass. I smiled and was about to turn away when they both stopped playing, looked at me, and then both looked up, to where my bedroom window was. I thought they could see another cat on the windowsill and laughed. I went back upstairs to my room, and was shocked to find my curtains open. They are very heavy curtains so I couldn't see how the cats could have moved them. I went to the window, which was free from cats, and looked down. My two cats that had been playing were still looking up. I closed the curtains and went back to bed. I think I must have fallen asleep at some point, because the next thing I knew I had four cats on my bed and they were all looking towards the door. I looked, too, there was nothing there. Then I heard the stairs again, and, I still don't know why, I felt really sad for my grand dad again and started crying.

Then I felt something touch my cheek, as though to wipe away my tears, and I smelt my grand dad's aftershave, Old Spice. My tears stopped at once.

I have never felt anything since that night, but I still hear the stairs creek and I have found my grand dad's picture on the floor at least once a week since.

Could it be that he was there? Or was my fear just making me silly?

Other hauntings by staci13

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, staci13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

jasbelieveghosts123 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-18)
My grand pa died in 2005 & at the moment while I'm writing this I am wearing a necklace my grand ma gave to me (she is still alive) and every so often it feels like my grand pa is looking & touching the necklace because a sudden coldness occurs & my window is closed.
I miss my grand pa very much 😭
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-18)
Im very sorry to hear about your loss. Though time goes by these scars may never heal. But love can sure help. Cherish the times you spent with your cousine and Grandad. They love you very much. The things that may have caused the house to "wake up maybe the feelings you all have been going through. Emotions can realy bring the house to life. But I believe that this maybe your grandad popping in once in a while to see how you are all doing. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
I'm very sorry for your loss, Staci. It must be so hard to deal with not only one death in the family, but two!

It definitely sounds like your granddad came to visit you though, and that he doesn't want you to be sad for him. I hope that you feel better and find peace soon.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
You're far from silly although I must say YOU ARE SO SWEET! "You didn't want your granddad's picture to see you cry..." that is really such a sweet and innocent way of putting it!

You seem to be a very logical person as well as composed staci. You searched around the house, you checked to see if you could find a natural cause for the noises before you claimed it was anything extaordinary so I have to believe it wasn't your imagination. The noises can sometimes be explained like you pointed out but the smell of Old Spice (that was my granddad's after-shave too), the photo, the curtains and the touch couldn't possibly be anything else but him coming to visit his beloved grandchild. He's there alright- I believe he's free to visit you because he needs to comfort you and protect you.

Cherish your memories with him and the life you both got to share and don't cry-there's no need for that. You will be reunited when time comes and there will be no death or sickness.

God bless you!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
Staci, as having a similar experience with my grandpa after he died, it was your grandpa, letting you know that you were going to be okay, and that no matter what he loves you and always will.
I posted the story about my grandpa on here, My grandpa, My best friend. If you want to go and read it. I believe that loved ones come around, to let us know not to worry, that our memories and love for them will always be with them, and the same as us. As for the picture being out of the frame, it was probably your grandpa's way of showing you that it was him and that he was around watching over, and that you don't have to be scared.
No one here thinks you are crazy or anything like that, there has been a lot of people that has been able to see or feel that their loved ones are still with them and is watching over them 😊.
If it is an peaceful feeling, but if it is a uncomfortable feeling, it might be something more. Like you said though you believe it could be your grandpa, then that is a good thing.
Hope that helps. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: