You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Aunt's Freaky House

Real Ghost Stories

My Aunt's Freaky House

 

I was 15 living with my aunt and uncle in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin back in 82-83 school years.

There would be times when I would end up being alone in my aunt's house. She has a large split level home, downstairs she has another living room, and then in the back there's a small kitchen. In that small kitchen is a door to the basement and at the back of that basement is the fruit cellar. Now there's two ways of going in the basement. One is as soon as you go down the stairs, or go through the living room/kitchen area. I fully understand houses creak and settle all the time.

As a young child we would always stay downstairs, and I never felt uncomfortable until I lived there. Like I said there would be times when I ended up staying there alone during the day, when there was no school. I would hear things moving from downstairs, and then I would hear footsteps. I would keep telling myself it's just the house settling... It's just the house settling. Then this one particular day I had stayed home alone, again, I heard the footsteps coming up the stairs. I ran into the bathroom and locked the door, for I really thought someone was in this huge house. I heard the footsteps getting closer to the bathroom and then stopped. I was so freaked out that if I could have gotten the window opened, I would have jumped out of the 2nd story window onto the driveway. I stayed in the bathroom for almost an hour, tears stained my face. I finally got the nerve to come out of the bathroom and I called my aunt who at that time owned her own beauty shop. I called her told her what had happened; she said that my cousin was supposed to have come over and pick up some stuff from the garage. Well first I thought that was odd because he knew I was there, why didn't he say hello to me, or knock on the door to let me know he was there. However... The bathroom is located at the front of the house, and I didn't see his car. So he must have parked it out back.

Well I called my cousin and asked him if he had come over to get what he needed and asked him how come he didn't say hi to me. He told me I was delusional, because he hadn't come over yet, and wasn't going to until dinner. So that just made me feel more uncomfortable. I left it alone for a while and stayed outside to enjoy the nice weather and practiced my flute until my uncle got home.

This type of stuff went on a lot, one day I came home late from church, my aunt and uncle weren't home when I got there. No biggie, I went around the back to get in the backdoor. I turned on the lamp and turned on the TV. I noticed that my uncle's ankle biter was downstairs locked in the basement, so I went downstairs to get him. As I got down the 2nd part of stairs, I heard what sounded like someone was trying to stop the ankle biter from barking. Spunky always barked when we would come home and come get it. This time it wasn't the case. I freaked out... Ran out of the house to my neighbor a couple of doors down, told them I think there's someone in the house. As I ran outside... I saw that the light turned on in the kitchen area downstairs... That wasn't on when I first got home.

My neighbor went inside and said no one was there, not even the dog.

My uncle took the little ankle biter with them, so what was making that terrible noise? Nothing really happened after that, I tried hard not to stay home alone much.

My mom unfortunately passed away in this house back in 2006 the Sunday before Thanksgiving. We came out to Wisconsin for our family reunion that following summer. I didn't want to sleep downstairs because of old memories. The bedrooms were already occupied, so I had no choice to sleep in the TV room where mom passed away in. My youngest slept on the couch she died on. Coty and I slept on the air mattress next to the couch on the floor.

For some reason I couldn't sleep, I was very restless. So I got up, and put a church movie on to help soothe me. It was working because I was slowly drifting off to sleep, when all of a sudden; I was smacked on the butt rather hard. Well needless to say, that woke me up and I looked at Dakota thinking he did it, but his hands were on his stomach. Mom used to always smack us on the butt when we would walk by. I think it was her.

My aunt said a few nights later that she had seen my mom standing in the doorway to her bedroom. My aunt got up to get a better look, and she disappeared.

I've been to my aunt's house once since then, and hadn't had anything else happen to me... Which I am really thankful. I did find out that my cousins (my aunt's grandchildren), said that they were relieved to know that I wasn't the only one who had experienced some kind of paranormal in that house.

Thanks for letting me share my story.

Other hauntings by bozoe6

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bozoe6, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
bozoe6: You are very right! We are born into this world alone, but we do not die out of this world alone. Our loved ones that have passed on before us are there with us, we have our spirit guides, guardian angels as well as our totem animal right there with us to assist with this miraculous journey over to the other side. You hear people say, that their loved one died all by themselves and they weren't there to say goodbye. Their loved one did not die all alone, they were surrounded by loved ones, angels and guides to assist them. They are still around us in spirit, so they know all and see all.

God bless you!
bozoe6 (7 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
Correction: It means a lot to me... Sorry my fingers have a mind of their own sometimes... Instead of hitting the edit button, I hit publish.
bozoe6 (7 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
thank you so much for your comments. I means a lot to me. I don't think the spirit in my aunt's house prior to my mom's demise, was evil. I found out that someone who lived in this house with my aunt and uncle... Everyone called him Grampa Sig, he passed away and lived in the downstairs portion of the house. Which would explain the footsteps always coming up the stairs. I strongly believe this is possibly him and not evil.

One thing I forgot to mention... When my mom passed away, she was visiting my aunt becuase it was my aunt's 80th birhtday. The night my mom died, my cousin was sleeping in the living room, and three times, she heard the backdoor open and shut, but did not hear any body walking in the house. After the 3rd time the door opened, she got up to check it out. The backdoor was locked. We think it might have been my brother, my grandmother and one of my uncles coming to be with my mom when she passed. To me that's a comforting feeling knowing that she wasn't alone when she died. Sighs.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
Hey My mum does that too.
I think you did the right thing going into the bathroom, because if you tried to confront it afraid it could have hurt you.
WIckedWitch2000 (1 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
I do not entirely agree with you fernsclint. Firstly, one does not always have to pray to Jesus Christ. You either say the God's prayer or simply tell the spirit to leave you alone. Secondly, of course YOU believe in spirits. We all do. That is why we are here. You do not have to be honest. Finally, the 'one' does not ALWAYS have to keep praying. As I said up top ^^ You do not always have to. Here's a little tip for you:

One always experiences immortal beings, One has to fight against the power of fear. Evil, evil brings a hole, you're weakness. You do not know what it will do to you.

Not so little but I hope it helps. Once when I had a terrifying experience I said those words, and I think it calmed the spirit down. For answering a question you may ask: "Evil brings a hole" part is... Is like an ouija board. A hole comes through to the spiritual world.

Pretty obvious.
And bozoe6. I give permission to share this information with you.
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-15)
Whatever was in that house scaring you before your mother passed away, will probably never frighten you again. Your mother will keep what ever it is in check and will protect you and the rest of your loved ones. Be comforted.

God bless you!
fernsclint (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-15)
well scary story... To be honest I believe that spirits do exist...evil...one has to always pray well to jesus christ to keepp away form all evil... Keep praying... God bless...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: