You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: A Night Of Terror In The Bush

Real Ghost Stories

A Night Of Terror In The Bush

 

My tale takes place a few weeks back while camping in the bush. This was my first break in several months from work as I'm now a roadie for international bands (like Pink, Nickleback etc). I decided to go camping with two old mates up in the bush for a few days, far away from the world as possible. I'm an experienced bushman and camped in the bush many a-times over the years. We heard about a place, way out at the back of a small town named Kyogle (Northern NSW), at the back of Mt Lindsay. The locals call it Yowie Country. A Yowie is an Australian equivalent of Bigfoot, an Aboriginal Mystic Creature like the Bunyip. So just before the entrance to Kyogle is the Gateway to the National Park. After a few hours of driving, we finally found the old road that led to our purposed camping site. It was located on an old disused logging trail, not many people, in fact NO ONE, goes anywhere near here which made it better for us.

We left the truck five miles from where we were camped and made our way up through the dense forest along the barely recognizable track, avoiding snakes and jumping ants (yes, we got ants that jump and attach themselves to your privates and sting the bloody hell out of yah) before we found our site. It took about twenty minutes to set up the site, tarpaulin over the branches to prevent rain from wetting us (but we're in a drought but old habits are hard to break), a pit to bury our beer in it to keep it cool (see? We're bushies) and also food buried in it as well, and a decent fire pit. Gathered wood and twigs, we were ready for a good night of playing cards and drinking beer and talking about the best roots we had, y'know the usual BS.

The night was clear as I remember and hot. No moon but the stars were like little eyes peering down at us (maybe they were). I had to go to water the old lizard and stumbled off with the torch into the bush hearing the lads cat calling out saying: Beware of the boogieman. I was more concerned about the bloody Deaf Adders and Brown Snakes, never mind the bloody Boogieman. As I was doing my business and gazing at the stars, a strange and horrible smell like something rotten overwhelmed me. Like as if someone let off a fart that stunk so bad that it really made my eyes burn and water. I stumbled back, gagging but as I was stumbling back to the campsite, I thought I heard a deep growl, like when your stomach rumbles when you had nothing to eat but louder. The hairs on the back of my neck rose as I quickly hurried back to the site. I told the other two but they said that it might have been some animal so we went back to our card playing.

It was 11. 45 by now and I was dead beat. I had my sleeping bag already unrolled and crawled off after saying night to the other two and slid into the bag. It wasn't long before I passed out. I don't know how long I was asleep but the three of us were suddenly woken up by the strangest, spookiest, loudest, piercing scream that I've ever heard. IT WAS NOT HUMAN. It was INHUMAN. We sat up and looked at each other when we heard loud crashing coming towards our campsite, like a bulldozer ramping through the bush. Whatever the hell it was, it was BIG. Then I saw it. Something massive, well built coming crashing through the forest. I couldn't make out the details but it looked strangely like a human or, even better, a Gorilla, the smell will haunt me to the end of my days. It was that rotting stench like a corpse. This thing stood over seven feet as it came tearing through the campsite then vanished into the night. We all jumped up, gibbering like madmen about what we just witnessed. Was it just some hippie that just smoked some potent weed? No, can't have been, too tall and well built to be hippie. But it smelt like one though.

I tell you this; none of us slept that night. I had the hatchet ready, while one of my mates had a huge branch, the other I don't know what he had but we waited until dawn popped its' head over the ridge before we left.

What we saw in the daylight frightened the Christ out of us. The small saplings were all bent back and snapped, some of our gear was trampled beyond repair but we were shaken (and stirred) by our experience that we drove into town. We didn't tell the locals about what we saw or heard in case they thought we were nuts. I did find out though that a few weeks after we saw that someone else had the same experience a few miles from where we were.

I don't know what we saw but I'm put off from camping up there. Maybe the local Blacks are right when they saw that Yowies exist in that region. Thanks for reading this.

Other hauntings by AussieRedDog

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AussieRedDog, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Hassanisabah2 (6 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-20)
Yeah I have heared some stories of the yowie, it is a lot more rare to see one here than in the US they see their bigfoot (Sasquatch) thousands of times a year. They are no doubt out there, sooner or later it will no longer be thought of as a legend but fact. Some advice would be if you go into the bush alone and hear some strange deep and fast paced chatting noises or whistling then you should not hang around to long, and if it screams at you then just run.
nance (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-22)
EVERY WORD IS TRUE! Hi I'm not a local black but I'm a Indigenous traditional owner from that very area you camped That bunyip YOU disturbed is a guardian over my great grandparents waterhole, you are extremely lucky to be alive!, white people have been taken from our lagoon & NEVER seen again, My Father was born on the river bed in wiangree kyogle, the reason our guardian Bunyip is there is because of white people poisoning the river, so in order to keep our water hole free from poison God gave us Supernatural power to conjure up (if you wish) a Bunyip, which you've eye witnessed, tell hey from the Sandy ' s next time your that way lol checkout old newspaper clippings it's all true, you can't make this stuff up peeps lmao glad to hear He's still vigilent inthe area
hmb2002 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
it kind of sounded like bigfoot! 😜 if it were me I would tell somebody that worked at the site and see if they had had any similar things happen to them. ❤
enchantedglades (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-29)
It was old groundskeeper wilbur, he gets angry, when people trespass on his land. 😆
calvert (5 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
im a bushie to live up in the gulf country got 1.4 million hecters mate the things I have seen, heard, ufo's I don't doubt one word your saying the smell is unbeliveable like rotting fish I say I was chased a couple of days ago well out hunting pigs wit me dog just on dark came to a dry creek bed an all I could smell was rotting fish then was aloud shriek like nothin I have eva heard I called the dog an started makin tracks I could hear it comin behind so I broke into a srint back to the ute where the trust. 243 was bye the time I got there got the gun nothing was behind me an me dog well gone...
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-11-13)
Why can't hippies be big & built? & what does weed have to do with it running around? I've never smelled a hippie that smelled like a rotting corpse. Unless of course the hippie was a rotting corpse. I don't doubt you had seen what you all witnessed, but the lame comments about smelly pot smoking hippies was offensive to me.
~LSD~
anzac_biscuit (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-19)
Hey mate, I live out in Lismore and my friend who lives in Kyogle has said there's some weird stuff out there. Of course I told him to keep off the mushies;) unfortunately it seems he was right this time. Thanks for the heads up too. Next time I'm in the area I'll keep a 12 gauge with me. Cheers! 😉
Tahneekate (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-23)
Aah bunyips and yowies... When we were kids our elders used to yell out "bunyip'll get ya" so we would behave while we were camping lol always scared the hell outta us since we were raised to believe it
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
Excellent story. And I believe you. Its stories like this that keep city people away from the wilderness.
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-03)
Man, now there's one more thing I have to worry about killing me in Australia. Its a very good story, and I don't doubt it one bit! The bush is an odd place. 😨
pipsta (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-15)
Hey mate, having grown up in country Victoria (just down the road from a place called Bunyip, funnily enough) I have obviously heard about Yowies and Bunyips, but never had seen one or really believed it until September 05, in Puckapunyal Army Base.
With Night Vision Goggles, 0300hrs, my whole section saw a 7ft+ figure 'lumbering' through the bush about 70m ahead of us. We all swear to this day that it was definitely NOT a sniper in a yowie suit (sniper suit). And, oh god, even at 70m the smell, athough faint from that distance, was feral. Like a dead roo after 2 weeks on the side of a road.
Scared the S*** out of us, we ended up getting in strife from HQ because we moved our hootchies (tents) too close together for comfort!
NativeGirl (1 stories) (5 posts)
-2
14 years ago (2010-04-04)
wow yure lucky, yew came across a bigfoot, I have been tryna experience one on my rez but no luck, it seems other people do =[...
AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-03-19)
I don't live in the outback. I live in the bush. There's a big difference. Miss Hill is correct. A Yowie, believe this or not, is actually a cousin of the Bigfoot. Recently I told the above story to an Aboriginal elder and he nearly shat himself. He told me that he, too, saw the same creature when he was a teenager back in the 40s, well, maybe it wasn't the same creature but you never know. These creatures are believed to be a strange beastie that evolved over the years (centuries). To be honest I was shiatting myself. I've left my job as a roadie and hardly see those two guys now since that night. One, I believe, is now a Hare Khirsna. Freaked him out so much that he went religlious. The other one, he vanished. No one knows where he is
MissHill (6 stories) (67 posts)
-2
14 years ago (2010-02-07)
The mountains is not the outback, and a Yowie is not a Bigfoot. Very diffrent cultures. Many things can hide in mountain country, and you don't even know they are there, think I'm wrong? Remember those tribe of people in South America? Things can live there and no one knows.

Http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2009/05/five-uncontacted-tribes-nearing-extinction.html
1926 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-07)
Interesting story. Not many people are going to believe you if you said you came across a bigfoot in the Australian outback. I say have faith for what you believe in, because if its real to you that's all that matters.
The Austalian outback is a big place, and some remote place hardly ever get visited by humans, so it's possible anything strange could be living out there. I have faith in your story. Next time carry a video camera.
MissHill (6 stories) (67 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-07)
At first I was thinking this might be an area for the big black cats, what ever they might be, but then,"it looked strangely like a human" thus not feline shapes, and then I was thinking somewhere up mountains could have some seriously twisted in-bread people we just don't know about but "The small saplings were all bent back and snapped, some of our gear was trampled beyond repair" made me think again, I don't see how anything human could snap saplings and trample your gear as they are running past, pushing a sapling as you ran past it would just bed and flip back, and gear would just be pushed into the ground a bit if it was stepped on.

So yeah this is bloody freaky, also when you where talking about the smell and the growling that also made me think of a big cat, but after reading, then I don't think so.
kaza (9 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-01-26)
what a spooky story, so when you guys heard the noise did you go out side of your camp to have a look? I think it could be a djinn or a demon,
marion0323 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-16)
what an adventure!
I wouldn't want to experience it myself though... Hehe 😉
AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-01-01)
[at] Cookiekitty999, I live in Australia and we don't have bears. I couldn't say a giant roo so the only detail popped in my mind was a bulldozer, which it did sound like but not a bear, not here in Australia unless it smuggled on board some plane and parachuted out 😆 but seriously, though we don't have bears here. I have heard stories about ABCs-Alien Big Cats like Pumas and Panthers. A mate of mine back in the 80s saw one and it scared the shiate out him. But not a bear.
cookiekitty99 (5 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-01-01)
ummmm ok I gotta say I believe you but you kind of went overboard by calling it quote "like a bulldoser ramping through the bush" and well you know it couldve been a big adult bear... 😕
SteggyAU (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-30)
Awesome story, and storytelling 😊 nice to know of some freaky aussie tales too
MandoSadGirl (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-29)
ay' g'day mate (lol I'm in aust too, but I live in the city, so I'm hopeless with the accents), umm, yeah, it could B a Yowie, but I'm thingking more Bunyip, - freaky! I'm like sooo scared of the aboriginal stories (dude, I was scared of the rainbow snake lol) yea, well, thanks for sharin. 'ave a gud one
eniealici (3 posts)
-3
14 years ago (2009-12-26)
sounds like a demon to me... I bet you guys woke up at 3 a.m. With that piercing scream
AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
+3
14 years ago (2009-12-22)
To coolboy, what drugs were you on? 😕
Fishlover, the history goes back to the Indigenous Dreaming. I'm not sure about the legend but there is a ghost story about people vanishing up there dating back to the late 1800s.
fishlover155 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-22)
Y'know,there might be a reason why no one goes near there... Try to find out more about the area.
coolboy505 (3 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2009-12-20)
hay aussie red dog I was down were you were and had the same thing happen insted I saw it! Infact when I saw it it had the deepest blue eyes and it was so hairy its face went bright pink when it saw me I thoght it was going to rip my head off luckly my car was only a few steps away otherwise I would be dead! 😆
AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-18)
You know we never thought about that. We were too s**t scared and wanted to be away from there far as possible 😨
EyesWideOpen (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-18)
AussieRedDog,

Great story, very entertaining! Did you see any foot prints? I think a plaster cast might be worth some money.

Let us know about your future adventures. 😆
AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-17)
The area is notorious for weird sightings like the Yowie I just mentioned above and UFOs and also ghosts are often sighted around Mt Lindsay. The local Korries (Aborigines) believe that the devil or debil-debil - resides there. Mate, I don't bloody doubt it. After what we saw, it could've been any of the above, well, besides the UFO, unless it was a Hairy Alien. I love bushwalking, you read my other story when I saw the boy in the bush, I'd other strange encounters in the bush which I will write one day in the near future. Yes, we were brave and stupid to stay the night there. Five miles through the dark bush we were NOT going to attempt, not with night tigers, dealy snakes they are, roaming around and that hairy beast that ran through our campsite was around, I think we were wise enough to stay put until day light 😨
ZiShu (281 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-17)
Sounds like you encountered an animal similar to Big Foot.
Did your friends see the same thing? Would be cool if you somehow got a picture of it.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: