You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Experiences At One Of My First Jobs

Real Ghost Stories

Experiences At One Of My First Jobs

 

From 1987 - 1990, I worked for a supply company. Here are some things that happened while I worked there:

One afternoon, a co-worker, Tina, and I were the only ones in the office and she decided to clean the filing cabinets by my desk. Tina took a can of general purpose spray cleaner, sat the lid on my desk and started cleaning. When she went to put the lid back on the can, it was gone. She asked me what I did with the lid. I told her I hadn't touched it. We looked all over the place for that lid, but it was nowhere to be found. When I say all over, I mean literally all over. We looked in closed drawers, garbage cans, etc. She and I were the only ones; I repeat the only ones in the building and neither of us did anything with that lid. We never did find it. The filing cabinets were completely against the wall so there was no way it could have fallen down behind them.

Soon after that, for three or four days in a row, I would reach for something on my desk and it wouldn't be there, even though it had been there a few minutes earlier. I lost a tape dispenser, a stapler and a couple of other things that were never found. I even opened a box I had sealed shut to send out UPS to see if I had sealed up my tape dispenser in it. Of course it wasn't in there since I had to use the tape dispenser to seal the box! But I thought it was worth a shot.

Every last day of the month, one of my bosses (Mike) and I had to work late running our end-of-the-month reports. This night was no exception, routine as always. We did our job, closed up and left.

The next morning my other boss (Don) called me into his office as soon as I came in. While walking to his office, he asked me if I had been in his office the night before and I told him I had put his reports on his desk. He asked me if I shut his door when I left; yes. He then asked me if Mike had been in his office and I told him no. He asked me if I was sure. Yes again. And I do know Mike hadn't been in there. I could see both their offices from my desk and Mike didn't leave his office until we left. Don asked me if anyone else had been there the night before. Again I said no, wondering what in the world was going on. I figured something bad must have happened for Don to be questioning me like this.

When Don opened his office door, I couldn't believe it. Don was a neat freak. Every day before leaving work, Don would straighten his desk. Nothing would be out of place; even pencils and papers would be straightened and put away. But that morning everything was all over his desk. His lap drawer was pulled out; his papers were thrown everywhere; pencils, pens, paperclips, etc were scattered all over his desk. It looked like someone had turned on a fan that blew everything all over the place.

Then I figured out what was going on. Don thought I had done it. Of course I didn't do it, which I told him when he asked. Don then told me he was the first one in the building that morning and it was like that when he arrived. We each had different security codes for the security system, and Don had called to the security company to see if anyone had come in after Mike and I left and he arrived. Their records showed Mike's code was the last one used the previous night and Don's code was the first used that morning.

Ironically enough, just the day before, Don and I had been talking about ghosts and he told me he didn't believe in them and that he really thought I was crazy. His words, not mine. That morning I told Don I think he offended the two ghosts we supposedly had and they let him know it.

Just a little bit of history behind that last remark. When I first started working there, I was told about the ghosts that inhabited the building. One was the spirit of a man who fell down the elevator shaft during construction. The other was an older lady who had been the bookkeeper. Apparently she went to the lady's room, had a heart attack and died. No one knew until they were leaving for the day and noticed her car was still in the parking lot and no one had seen her for hours. (I think that's terrible.) Anyway, one employee quit just a few weeks after being hired because he was tapped on the shoulder when he was on the 3rd floor. Story is that no one else was on that floor. It was just an open space; used for storage. He walked downstairs, left and never came back. I got spooked every time I had to be up there. I'm not sure how much was just my imagination because I knew about the ghosts, so I can't say I experienced anything on the 3rd floor.

There was also this incident with the phones, but it could have been a phone malfunction. I guess it's up to you what you believe. On one of those last days of the month nights that I worked late, I noticed the light for the phone in the warehouse would light up and then go out. It would just blink on and off, it would stay lit for several minutes. That's what caught my eye. We closed at 5:00 and no one worked overtime, so I couldn't figure out what anyone was doing there at 6:30 p.m. I got up and looked in the parking lot to see if anyone else was there but I was the only one.

That phone light went on and off for a long time that night. By the time my boss Mike got there (he was a coach and had a game that night), I was seriously paranoid. I told him I would never stay there by myself again. If he was going to be late, I'd wait until he was able to be there. Of course, he completely made fun of me!

During the daytime, because the phones were constantly in use, it was too hard to determine whether it was a malfunction or not. All I know is, I never worked late again by myself and when Mike and I did work late at the end of the month, the phones never did that again.

By the way, this was way before I was brave! So everything little thing scared me. I've learned so much since then. Thank God! Everything isn't scary and if you take the time to try and figure it out, you might not be so scared. And as I have found over the years, most of my ghosts have been rather calm.

Other hauntings by Miracles51031

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Miracles51031, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-21)
Loved the story. I have often wondered if I would ever encounter one of our deceased defendants at court while I worked late, or the pro tem judge who died in our judge's chambers (office) but I have never felt or seen a thing there... Thank goodness. Started laughing when I read about your stuff going missing, I got the mental picture of a stapler apporting onto someone's dining table 20 years from now lol...
Thanks for sharing! 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-05-20)
Thanks, Val 😊 this is one of my favorite experiences because there was lesson with it. I don't know whether or not that lesson stuck with my boss or not but I hope so.
valkricry (49 stories) (3271 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-20)
Miracles, really interesting. I think you were right about the desk mess though. The ghost wanted to teach him a lesson!
bandet888 (86 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
When people pass away and their souls stick around for some reason I wonder why they retain the same age in the after life? Old people that die remain old, children that die remain children in the after life. Maybe you have to cross over to the other side to reset your spirit age.
hope4ever (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-06)
Very interesting memory. I'd have been creeped out too, even if I was brave then. It was still creepy, even for me =P

Sounds like a spirit was playing with the phones, if it never did that again. Office buildings are good for spirits, lots of energy they can feed off of.

As always thanks for sharring the memory. 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
Opaleone - I worked there for 5 years and that was the only time anything like that happened (Don's desk).

I really don't know whether these were all related or just isolated incidents that occurred during my employment.

Thanks for your comments.

Marjie
opaleone (41 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
It certainly would be funny...that's mostly why I suggested it.
Although, honestly. It sounds to me like it was just a pretty basic Poltergeist. Why it was manifesting at all is the question to ask.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
Opaleone - I never even considered alternate reality as an explanation or possibilty. Wouldn't it be funny, though?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
Opaleone - actually, he apologized to me for telling me he thought I was crazy. He never seriously thought either I nor Mike had vandalized his office. It was just one of those "you have to ask" things.

Thank you,

Marjie
opaleone (41 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
Also, what if you think about it like this...? (Not that I"m saying I neccesarily believe this...)
Maybe another you in another reality was just as confused as to why she kept finding all these extra office supplies all over her desk that didn't seem to belong to anyone... 😉
opaleone (41 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
I do hope that your boss Don didn't make things hard for you after that... Since he thought it was you that did it, and of course you couldn't actually PROVE you hadn't...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
Hey Darkness - thank you for stopping by. Yep, freaky pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

Now (I hope I can say this with certainty) I would do things a little differently. I'd try to figure the phone thing out. Don't know how, but I'd do something other than wait by the door on my boss to come back! Does the word "chicken" mean anything to you? 😆

Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

Marjie
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
Hi scoops - never did find any of it. I thought for awhile someone was messing with me, but when something disappears that you just had in your hand and you set it back down and it disappears in a few minutes? With no one else around? Crazy, huh?

Thank you,

Marjie
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
Hey Miracles: Your story reminds of an experience I had in my workplace aswell I was upstairs in my office and this would have been around 6 in the evening, I was finishing some last minute things and I also had the lights of the phone start blinking then go red which meant someone was downstairs and had picked the phone up I even picked mine up and pressed the red button and it said it was busy! Well I well and truly freaked out after that, as nobody else was there. But as you mentioned it could also be a fault with the phones, spose we will never know.

Thank you for sharing another great story.

Dan
Scoops (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-04)
Crazy story. I enjoyed it. Those TPS reports are a pain! (Silly Office Space Movie Reference)

Missing stuff, you ever find any of it? Ever?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-04)
Troyarn - thank you. I'm glad to see a comment from you.

Marjie
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-04)
Very freaky story and well written. Thanks for the shivers!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: