You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Figures & Anxiety

Real Ghost Stories

Figures & Anxiety

 

It was February 20, 2017, when my husband and I got a phone call from my mother-in-law letting us know that my husband's grandmother passed away. She was diagnosed with stage 4 cervical cancer in early 2016, she had had the same cancer 20 years ago but it came back. The worst thing that added on to that was shortly after they diagnosed her with having stage 4 cancer she had developed dementia (Sundowning). It was an extremely hard year for all of us watching her go through this, if anyone knows what happens when dementia takes over its terrible. She was the most loving, caring woman in the whole world and I adored her. We were happy that she no longer had to suffer but ultimately it left us all with a lot of sadness.

That day I had went over to grandmas house to help look through pictures that we could bring with us for the wake and I felt strange going into the house knowing she was not going to be there anymore. My sister-in-law and I went upstairs to get some albums with pictures in it, and we noticed that grandmas door was open about half way we thought one of our cousins were up here as well so we went to look and we saw what looked like an elderly woman standing in front of the window, my sister-in-law looked at me and said that's grandma. After she turned to look at me we both looked back and she was gone, we ran downstairs and told my mother-in-law and she said that she went upstairs earlier and was in her bedroom when she felt a hand on her shoulder but no one was there. We were very happy that she came through for us to know that she was there and was looking after us.

A few days later after the wake and funeral, I started to feel a lot of anxiety and paranoia in my own house, I did not want to be in the house by myself, this usually only happened when I wanted to go into the bathroom to take a shower I always felt extremely paranoid in there like someone was watching me and I would wake up at 3 am every night the same time and not be able to go back to sleep because I felt like I was having a panic attack. This all started after she passed away and I don't know why this is happening.

About a month later, I was in my basement where my laundry room is and I heard footsteps in the house right above me, my husband was outside mowing the lawn with his headphones on so I knew it wasn't him and my dog was downstairs with me. After I was finished loading the clothes in the machine I went to the front where my husband was and asked him if he had went into the house and he told me no, but he did say he saw someone peeking through the blinds in the front bedroom. That scared the hell out of me, I am not sure if it was grandma paying us a visit or if it is something else.

If anyone can give me some information on why I might be having this anxiety that would be great.

Other hauntings by brighteyez

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, brighteyez, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

steveJ (2 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-13)
Hi brighteyez,

I've been studying spirits for many years. I've helped people understand why they see and feel certain things while others may not. From reading your posts, it seems like you've been having a lot of these occurrences within the last couple years. My research suggests that some people experience these things because they may be more sensitive to particular parts of the electromagnetic spectrum (specifically UV light).

Would you be open to having a quick email or phone discussion on the topic? I might be able to help you better understand what's going on, and maybe you can help me learn more too.

My email is shown in my profile, it's stvn.jaeger [at] gmail.com Please contact me if you're interested and have time,

Very much looking forward to it,

Best,

Steven
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-30)
Greetings, brighteyez.

To the best of your knowledge, was there any activity in your husband's grandmother's house *before* she died? I'm going to presume that your answer will be "no," simply based upon the fact you and your sister-in-law were not expecting anything or anyone to be there. Did you run downstairs out of fear, or out of surprise? (Did you run simply because your sister-in-law was already running away, leaving you to fend for yourself?)

One of my first thoughts was very similar to Melda's second comment, "I've read about some nasty events where spirits are prevented from crossing over by evil entities." There are old (well, "archaic" is more accurate) traditions in Europe about taking a less-direct route home from a graveyard to prevent anything from following you home. Now, those traditions started out of fears that the deceased would want to bring family members with him/her, and a lot of the older vampire lore is based around the belief that they first hunt their own families (as opposed to family members catching a viral infection while they had been nursing the now-deceased person).

The reason for the above paragraph is that there are multiple accounts in which unpleasant, manipulative, potentially 'evil' entities do try to enslave the spirits of the newly-deceased. I do not imagine for a moment that your husband's grandmother is deliberately causing you to feel oppressive fear in you own home. However, as she died in a state of confusion brought about by dementia, that is a physical condition that had an impact on her awareness, and she may have been manipulated (or simply stalked) by an inhuman entity who took advantage of her need to re-orient herself before moving on.

I think that another cleansing of your home is probably in order. Which reminds me, did you ever figure out what that little boy was talking about? Are you still living in the same house? Is it possible that the negative presence from your earlier narratives has taken this opportunity to re-manifest itself in your home or in your life? (See: Unknown Entities In Our New House Pt. 3: They Wake Me Up.) Just a thought.

Best,
Biblio.
tigrisvpm (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-25)
[at] brighteyez Thanks for sharing. I'm amazed that you got a chance to see your grandma again. She want to see you all and make all of you to know her visiting. And I understand how she loved you all ❤
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-23)
Just a thought based on Randy's question and others' input... Maybe when a spirit manifests itself in a place that energy has an effect on the veil that separates us from the other side. As though the energy it took for them to cross over and visit created a temporary weak spot in the boundary that others can slip through until it is able to 'heal' again.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-23)
Brighteyez, I have found myself feeling heightened anxiety during periods of extreme emotion, such as a death.

I've had specific anxiety about going to the bathroom and showering after my grandma died. I repeatedly told myself that she wouldn't want to scare me.

I've come to the conclusion over the years that I just get that way during certain types of stressful periods.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-19)
Babygoatpuller - Heaven forbid that I should be haunted by a ghost after I become one. Being haunted by them whilst alive is enough to contend with 😨

Then again, I've read about some nasty events where spirits are prevented from crossing over by evil entities. I hope that after I join the spirit world I'll retain enough of my human spunk to kick them in the groin (or elsewhere)!

Regards, Melda
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-18)
brighteyez-

I'm with Melda on this. I don't think grandma would want to scare any of you and your first interaction was pleasant so perhaps RANDYM is on to something here. Thank you for sharing this with us.

RANDYM-
Great question! I'm anxious to see what others have to say but right now, in my head I'm thinking, do we need to worry about ghosts haunting us after we become a ghosts? 😆

I'll have to ponder on this for a bit and if I come up with any kind of opinion, I'll get back to you.
brighteyez (9 stories) (21 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-18)
Melda thank you, I love that she comes to visit us. As RANDYM said if really like to get others opinions on if something else can attach themselves to a deceased person, that is something I have always wondered.
brighteyez (9 stories) (21 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-18)
Thank you RANDYM I do not mind others discussing your idea on my story, I think it would help a great deal. I do believe something else is here when she came to visit us, I know she would never intentionally scare us. I think it's possible something can come through with a deceased person. I'd like to hear other people's input on that as well.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-18)
Brighteyez - I found your experience fascinating and if grandma comes to visit, I think that's great.

I wish I could see some of my passed relatives but all I do is dream about them. The apparitions that I do see are not related to me at all.

I don't believe that your grandmother would try to frighten you in any way, so it's unlikely that she would cause your paranoia and anxiety.

RANDYM's question is very relevant. I would also like to hear comments on that!

Regards, Melda
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-07-18)
Brighteyez

Thanks for sharing
I really liked reading your experience

If you feel something is negative then I think you should start right away by demanding it to leave. Tell it clearly and plainly that it isn't welcome and this space is yours. It works more often than you may think

If you as the OP don't mind me asking on your thread I want to toss an idea out there for discussion I'm asking here on this thread because I think it's relative to your experiences.

We often hear of cases where someone visits a place that is supposedly haunted
Then they return home and find out that something followed them home
In your case it seems natural enough that grandma came to visit so to speak
I wonder if something can or does follow a deceased person around at times without their knowledge?
In other words your grandma stopped in and something was tagging along and she wasn't even aware of it.

Perhaps others would care to comment if it's ok with the OP.

Thanks again for sharing
Randy

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: