You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Granny's Bed

Real Ghost Stories

Granny's Bed

 

I grew up in Granny's house. I had a very happy childhood, even though there was no mother around. My dad, Auntie, Uncle Norm and Granny were all I needed to make my life whole.

My dad was a man to be admired, Granny and Auntie took care of me, and Norm was there to sing to me and fascinate me with his stories of the weird, strange and occult. (I can remember wanting to be a 'white witch') He pointed the way to books by H.G. Wells, Bram Stoker, Dennis Wheatley and such like. (He was my mentor) So, I grew up, very open to anything paranormal. (Despite the fact that my Granny and Auntie were very religious.)

Years later, after my dad remarried, and I, in turn, left home and married, my husband and I would return to Kimberley (South Africa) to visit the family on a regular basis. We live in what is now known as Gauteng Province.

At the time of my marriage, Granny was already bed-ridden. When our first daughter was born, ('67) Gran rallied enough to sit up in bed to view her great-grand-daughter. Eighteen months later, I was back to show her our second daughter and again she showed enthusiasm. Sadly, after her prolonged illness, she passed away fourteen months later. She died two days after our third daughter was born, and never got to hear of the birth. We did not have a phone in those days, and my husband told me, that between work, seeing to the other two girls, and visiting me in hospital, he just did not get a chance.

Yes, three girls within three years! But, remember, we didn't have TV in those days, he he...

About three or four years later, we were visiting Auntie, who had inherited her mom's house. She had taken over Granny's bedroom, but the furniture was still the same. The old wardrobe with its double doors, the dressing-table with the ornate carvings and the matching bed all stood in their familiar places.

We were all in the kitchen talking. (It's funny how old kitchens can be the centre of a family home.)

All the lights were on in the house, as dusk had fallen early. (It was winter.)

We didn't notice that the youngest girl had slipped away (presumably to explore by herself). A few minutes later, we heard her skipping down the passage, calling "Mommy, Mommy, Who is the old lady in the bed?"

I honestly can't remember if that question was ever answered, we were all too startled. Of course, we all trooped through to the front bedroom to have a look, but there was the bed, all neatly made, and of course, empty!

I wonder if Granny came back to see my last daughter? What do you think?

Thank you for reading my story.

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-19)
[at] WishfulNull - I have just read your profile. As you don't have a 'story' of your own, I will try to help you here.

You mention electrical interference where you live and work, and don't know the reason why. From your description, you belong to a select portion of psychic individuals called SLIders... Please be my guest and google it. I am sure you will be relieved to discover that there is nothing "wrong" with you.

I hope my post will be of value to you, and your peace of mind.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
Oh shame Krys, I know that you didn't Intentionally mean to offend Gran. Given the fact that I know the 'Taal'. I only learned how to speak Afrikaans, the hard way, when I was 21. What we learn at school is virtually useless, in a Government run work place!
That episode will be told at some point in time.
I am sure Granny would gladly forgive you, as she was a very loving person! ❤
KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
😊 No offense taken what so ever! I am very sorry for unintentionally offending your Grandmother! I take it back, it is totally undertandable why she would detest the word! Sorry again Fergies Grandma.

😳 Krys ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Thank you Krys, It makes happy to hear that you think my account is worthy of being added to your favorites.
Only one small thing; My Gran would turn in her grave, to be called 'ouma', she had an intense hatred of Afrikaans, & refused to utter one word in that language. I think it was because she lived through the seige of Kimberley, with the Boers bombarding the town. 😢
Sorry, I hope I didn't offend you!
KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
I too like geetha have nothing new to add.It's always nice to read a touching and sweet experience. Your ouma sounds like she was a very sweet person.

Also going to favourites.
Thanks for sharing Fergie.

Krys
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
Thank you Geetha, Your reply is most welcome. I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to leave a nice comment. 😊
I am so glad you enjoyed my tale.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
Have nothing new to add. A really good story and like others I do believe your granny came back to visit her third granddaughter. Going into favourites.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
Dan, Thank you kindly, sir, she said. It is a pleasure to drag my old memories out of hiding. At least now I can relate them without the fear of people thinking that I am wierd. I can also enjoy telling them, (not only because I received nice comments) but I receive intelligent responces, not strange looks.
Yes, as many people believe, it seems that the young, are more open to spirits, ghosts, etc. I always wonder why I never 'saw' anything when I was young? Maybe, there was nothing to see, in that house? 🤔 My Gran's was the first & only death, in that house.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
Fergie as many posters before me have mentioned I loved the narration and the simple effectiveness of this account of yours.
Well it does seem that your Granny wanted to visit your latest creation, also being the youngest it was easier for your Granny to be viewed by her. Intelligent or Residual this is a great experience for you all to cherish!😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
Adsouza, thank you for reading my story. 😊 I never expected so many lovely comments. 😳 I am so glad you liked it.
adsouza (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
I loved your narration. Very touching story. Thank you for sharing.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
Thank you YellowRose & Casper, Granny was a very loving & caring person. She raised 5 children of her own, plus me. I don't ever recall her raising her voice to anyone; so, I could imagine her coming back to 'look in' on the family, more especially, to see the latest addition. 😊 ❤
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
Fergie,
I loved your story, it was comforting and delightful to know your granny is still watching over the family. 😊
YellowRose (1 stories) (12 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
What a touching story ❤
It would be lovely to know that your granny came back to see the child she missed. I know that children are open minded so it's easier for spirits to communicate. I love experiences like this 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
Thank you all for your lovely comments, I really appreciate them!

[at] Jav: no nobody got a fright, only the adults were very puzzled! The little one had no idea that it was anything unusual.

[at] Nysa: I have no idea if it was residual or not! I would like to think that it was especially to see the youngest. That would be so nice! Gran did spend the last 7 years of her life in that bed, so anything is possible.

[at] Peter: I am sorry for your loss. It must be a comfort to know that she still cares for you all enough to make contact.
I am glad I brought joy to your heart & thank you for the compliment.

[at] Anneke: My grandfather built the house for my gran back in 1910, when they got back from New Zealand. It was just across the road from the famous Kimberley Big Hole. We were the only family to live in it.
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
Granny, I agree with you. Our loved ones sometimes come from the hereafter to visit us, we just don't know it 😢
Fergie, it is so sad that the house was torn down!
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Fergie,

A beautiful sharing which gave my heart a kiss of joy... Recently, last month, our granny passed away in her bed here and she also continue's making contact. Your granny came to say hello to your youngest daughter while bathing in all the love coming from the kitchen... Bless you! Really loved your writing to.

Peter,
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Well that certainly is a good reason for a spirit to drop in, so it seems a reasonable assumption to me. Though I wonder why she chose to show up in the bed, not where the rest of her family is in the kitchen. That leaves room for the possibility that the "woman in the bed" was a residual of your grandmother, imprinted where she spent so much time at the end of her life. On the other hand maybe she wanted to see your youngest by herself so she could really concentrate on her.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Oh Fergie!
I agree with everyone on this one. How wonderful! For it to have just been the youngest to have seen her is a pretty good confirmation. How would she have ever known it was anything out of the ordinary? No one got frightened or stunned into silence. It was just a sweet little peek at the one she never got to meet.

Jav ❤ 😊 ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Oh Granny! Thank you so much 😳 I am really honoured.
This was my feeling exactly! It was only the youngest daughter that got to 'see' granny. I felt very comforted by the fact; to know that she cared so much, that she came back especially to visit the little one. 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Fergie: This gave me goose-bumps 😊...I agree with anneke... I think our loved ones are sometimes drawn to large (or small) family gatherings like weddings, reunions, wakes, etc... Like they want to remain a part of the festivities, or in your case, she wanted to visit the little one she knew was there and never got to see...

Thank you for posting, this is going straight to my faves! ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Thank you Anneke, for your sweet comment. My daughter doen't remember this, but her dad and I certainly do. Her eldest sister, says she thinks she remembers it. So many years have passed. It is such a pitty that that beautiful, old house was torn down for nothing. So many of my childhood memories, and dreams, were born there. ❤
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Children are most of the time the ones who see the spirits that come and visit us.
Fergie, I certainly think your granny came to see ALL of you! And after she was satisfied that everyone is well, she went to take a nap in her old bed before returning to heaven.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: