You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: The Abandoned Rest Home

Real Ghost Stories

The Abandoned Rest Home

 

This story is my first experience in becoming a ghost hunter. It was a cold night in February of this year. My brother-in-law tells me of a place he calls "Ashe Manor..." He tells me about how it used to be a nice rest home, but is abandoned now. He tells me about what happened when his girlfriend took him there to experience some 'paranormal activity' - a piano played when no one was touching it.

So, we go to this place and I start asking if there is a presence around that would like itself to be known and also asked other provoking questions too. We brought an old Ouija Board with us. We asked it who was haunting this building. The board gave us answers that we later found in file cabinets about a woman who died there named Betty Davis. She died of eating a bad fawn hamburger that made her very ill and supposedly killed her. We found her room, sat on her bed and talked with her through the board. She was friendly through the board.

After playing Ouija (I promise I don't use this anymore!) we were getting ready to leave because it was getting dark. Noises were here and there, but nothing really unusual other than the creaks of the walls and such... Until my husband says, "This place isn't haunted. Let's leave... We wasted our time." The moment he spoke the last word of that sentence, a loud bang on the wall happened right behind him. We all three heard it and I asked the presence if I could take a picture of it. The only picture that supports paranormal activity is a picture I took of my brother-in-law near Davis' bed. It looks like a woman looking at him through a purple cup.

We went back to this place once more. The place was wrecked. We figured it had been inhabited by people who party by the look of all the beer bottles around. The feeling at "Ashe Manor" this time was negative. We all felt the negative energy and decided to leave this place alone. I say, "To the next destination!"

Other hauntings by Ramzey

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ramzey, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
misty1970 ~ it's been so long since I've been to the old rest home that I honestly can't recall its whereabouts. My ex-brother-in-law was the person who knew where it was, I didn't notice a lot on the drive there, just pondering on how the hunt would go. I'm sorry I don't have directions for you. If I did, I'd share with you.
misty1970 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
I read your story The Abandoned Rest Home... I loved it and I am very into the paranormal... I was born and rasied in ashe county.
I haven't heard that story. So I was very excited about it.
Can you tell me where in ashe county it is located... Would love to go look at it one day
Thank you
schultz13 (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-12)
betty davis... This woman was named after betty davis! I'm so jealous, she was a beautiful famous actress!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-20)
Good choice to leave it be. Sometimes we get more than we bargained for.

What do you mean "fawn hamburger"- I hope you don't mean deer. Oh, no, don't answer that one.

Thanks for your story.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Wow, what an interesting story! Although I am totally against the use of a ouijia board, it seems to have worked in your case.

In your comments you mentioned, videos that you had located. Where you able to view any of the tapes? They may hold some interesting history and information.

Also, I would love to see any oictures or videos you have made during your investigation.

thanks for sharing your experience!
God Bless!
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
The Quija Board spelled out Bad Fawn Burger ~ We found her papers, her chart, she did die of stomach problems. A fawn hamburger must mean a deer burger. My step-dad makes them. Oh, as we searched through different rooms - (there were so many!) - we found empty purses, lots of papers on patients, lots of video tapes that were dated only, 2 old boxes of used needles, so many keys to the rooms, clothes, empty medicine bottles, shoes, toys, pens, etc. I still have yet to further my research on the place. I hope I do find out, so, I can let you all know what went on there. Even a nice piano(out of tune) was in there. Thanks for commenting and being interested! You all rock!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-14)
Hi Ramzey. I did read this story late last night but got distracted and forgot to comment and left the site. I, too, would like to know what a Fawn hamburger is? That is very strange, all of those things being left behind as if everybody just vanished. How were you even able to get into this abandoned building? Was it not locked up or did you break in? This all seems a little on the hmmmm... Side, sorry. If it is for real, you must have had one heck of a night! Thanks for sharing. ~Shelby
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-14)
What is a bad "fawn hamburger?" --baby deer?!

Just curious, thanks much!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hi Ramzey.
That is even more interesting. Your comment, I mean. For so many things to have been left behind I would think that some type of emergency caused the mass exodus. I would think that would make it easier to research.
Thank you for answering me so quickly. Oh, and I do not know if you were referring to my comment when saying that this was the truth as it happened to you, but I was not calling you a liar. I was just pointing out that these things do not usually, in normal situations, get left behind, so something must have caused the move. I did not mean it to sound as if I doubted.
Thank you.
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Queen Tas~Yes, it is in Ashe County. If you know the area, e-mail me-I can give you directions. I've never found anything called Ashe Manor in writing. I asked most of the store owners in Ashe County about it, nobody seems to know or care. My brother-in-law knows more about the history then I do. I can ask him to post something here if he will.
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hey everyone! Thanks for reading! I do not know why the files were left behind. There was so many things left behind-crafts, clothing, keys, videos(and I took a video to see what was on it and it was of 2 men filming themselves as they were speeching on a subject of constipation)(Yeah, weird!) I threw that tape away, but, there was also letters, bills, statements and such, even teddy bears I seen. I wish I knew why the place was abandoned. I do not know the correct name of the place. Like I put in the story, we called it Ashe Manor, just to call it something. I have many more stories to post and I want you all to know that I am an Aries-I do not lie. All stories can be backed up through other people.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hello Ramzey.
You know, there must have been a time when the name Betty Davis was one that parents really liked. I personally LOVE the song 😊.
As I work in a retirement community I know how the sounds are a bit disturbing at times, and especially since this was an abandoned nursing home (any idea what made everyone vacate?) I can imagine how creepy it would have felt.
I wonder why the files were left behind in the filing cabinets. Most generally all of those would be destroyed, given to the next of kin or relocated to the place where the person moved to. If the person passed on they usually go into a collective filing cabinet at the corporate offices. Interesting.
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Thank you Ramzey for sharing your story with us, it was interesting. I hope you have many more fruitful ghost hunts. If at all possible post the picture, I think everyone would love to see it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
chuzwuzum (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Hey Ramzey. You absolutley need to show us that pic. It would be such an eye opener for non believers and prove that there is a bridge between this world and the next
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
I guess that loud bang was to let you know you weren't alone. Being that it's abandoned you couldn't blame it on pipes or anything like that unless something fell on the other side of that wall and you heard the noise from it. As far as ouija boards go I think when used with protective incantations it can be a good source of information. I myself have never had much luck with using one. I think they are basically a reflection of our own subconcious but then that's just my opinion. I also think the same of tarot cards. If you don't know the answer to something the cards seem to reflect the same. I have heard other people (mostly teens) that they had bad experiences with a ouija board so I don't know if its just teen imagination or what. Had a board spin one time when using it with a teenager. Again I think this has something to do with the excess energy most teens have. I know I always seem to be debunking but we have to rule out the natural before we can assume the supernatural. I like the Taps team for just this reason. They are believers but still skeptical about investigations which is good.
QueenTas (4 stories) (43 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Oh and Ramzey here is a good website for haunted places you might like to look into :)

http://theshadowlands.net/places/northcarolina.htm
QueenTas (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
That was a very interesting story, I myself am somewhat of a ghost hunter.
I don't seem to find anything about ashe manor, is it in ashe county? Or is it possably a differant name?
Well anyways thanks for sharing the story, and please keep us updated on any further hunts into ashe manor or any other place.

Tricia :)
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Thank you for sharing your story of your first hunt with us.

I am glad to hear you do not use the ouijia board any longer. Maybe the ouijia board opend portals not intended, thus the negative feel upon your return.

I will certainly say a prayer for Betty and any other poor souls who may not have crossed over to peace as of yet.

Please keep us posted on any future endeavors.

God Bless!
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Oh, one other thing!~I wrote this story in December of last year~That's why it says February of 'this year'.
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
I do have the picture. I wish I could post it. I only use my 35mm camera and print the negatives. I will be getting a digital camera so I can post all my pics on this website! Thanks you all for reading!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Ramzey, I would love to see the photo! That sounds like quite a ghost hunt, great results. It's too bad the manor was destroyed, it would have been fun to take another trip through and see what might have happened. When you went back and felt the negative energy, well, maybe it was Betty and friends communicating their dismay at their home being demolished. Thanks for sharing your story, I really enjoyed it. Happy hunting. -side note- I'm glad you gave up the ouija!
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
That was an interesting story. 😊 Do you have the picture anywhere? I'd like to see it!
-Brittany

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: