You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Way I Seek'em

Real Ghost Stories

The Way I Seek'em

 

This unknown quest I'm on, it's a mission of stepping into a world of belief, do you agree? I hunt the paranormal as if it were a special part of me being alive. I find a purpose in seeking into the realm we can't understand. It's not just a thrill, oh no, not even close. It's a journey into history, into the future, into the unknown. This is my 3rd year being a paranormal investigator. I want to tell you a story: a true ghost story of an endeavor I spent alone at a place called St. Joseph's Episcopal Church.

It was a Thursday evening, I had got off work, the fog had settled in the valleys, the sun was setting and the air was damp and chilly. On my way home, I looked over at my camera in the seat next to me. I wanted to go take some pictures... But where? Hmm... I drove to a place I have been to many times to visit with different people. I've been to the church by myself other times alone as well. It's not a long drive to the church.

As I drove, I felt a sense of excitement inside my heart, knowing I was going to ask the spirits of the church and the church's graveyard to show themselves. I only wanted a picture, not too much to ask for, eh? *grin* I arrive at the church as the sun is setting behind the mountain to the north, I can see it through the fog just a wee bit. The air is blowing it's chilled breeze up my skirt (and to think, it's smack dab in the middle of winter and I fear the cold (for real, I do!)).

With my trusty Kodak in hand, I park my car, get out and venture to the cemetery. I'm five steps into the cemetery when BANG! ~ A metal sound inside the church happened and it scared the hell out of a deer maybe twenty feet from me, it jumped, I jumped, but I took pictures, I didn't run, I took picture after picture.

A bird flew from above, it was getting dark quick. I sensed something near. Something almost to fear... Let me tell you some history: The preacher of this church ~ he was a monk, he hung himself in this church and was buried with a cross tombstone right next to the church. Flowers (the greens of flowers) surround his grave year round, they seriously never die. Even feeling of the grass upon his grave, it's warmer, you can really feel a difference. This is only a piece of it's history... So, I go to this grave and I apologize for what some old friends of mine had done, they made a mess, broke my heart it did, so, I took the blame, told him they should have known better and I should have stopped them. Sure, this was years ago, and I had apologized to it before, but this time, I had a feeling I wasn't talking to the air.

The Way I Seek'em 1

The Way I Seek'em 2

For some reason, I sensed something had been watching that deer and it didn't run from the bang, it was now watching me... I step backwards towards my car while taking more pics, I had spoke not a word, just a gasp... While standing next to my car where it felt safe, I took more pics, felt the energies of the area, and just starred at the church. Sure is a creepy church... I had gotten photos from before, like a blue light in a window or a red light in another window or green mist coming from the front door and more... I can post 'em or send you a link to my evidence; whichever, just ask.

So, I go back into the cemetery after I feel calm and take more pictures. Seems like I heard voices travel with the wind, almost sounded like 3 men speaking a chant. I asked out loud if that was spirits that I was hearing. Then I asked to please let me take a picture, that I was here with respect only to make conversation or only to visit with a meaningful purpose, to maybe make them known, you all following me? The wind is blowing, I heard those men speaking again, some sorta wind chant (I'll call it that.) I'm ready to go, it was getting too cold and I was starting to shake from the chill of the air.

I get into my car, start it, pull around to where I can get some good pics from within my car and I 'snap, flash, snap flash, over and over... For my last couple of pictures, I decided to mix things up. I said in a demanding voice, "Let me take your picture." Well, guess this was the wrong thing to say because my camera was then slapped out of my hands and into my lap. I heard the smack, felt the smack. I rolled the window up, my heart was going to leap out but instead of being scared for too long, I rolled the window back down and took more pictures, fast pictures and said, "So that's how you show yourself? By being mean?" It wasn't those exact words but close enough. It didn't scare me, it made me smile that it gave enough of it's time to show me it was there.

As I left, I continued to take pics and got nothing that evening by the way, it was too foggy. No good pictures what-so-ever, but one heck of a ghost story, eh?! On to the next...;)

Other hauntings by Ramzey

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ramzey, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-28)
Most closed minded locals around here do say the place is not haunted, but I alone, in my own opinion, have had enough experiences to say that evil lurks there, even if it is a church...
Kwazimoto (5 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-17)
Hi, Ramzey, thank you for confirming the church's location for me. With it being in Valle Crucis I suspect neither of my friends in Durham or Fayetteville will be in any hurry to check it out.

I did a spot of online research and apparently it's St. John's not St. Joseph's: http://www.stjohnvallecrucis.net/ Apparently the folks around those parts also insist it's not haunted, that its founding Minister Brother Skiles didn't hang himself, and they get rather indignant at those who insist it is. See Dr. Nina-Jo Moore's letter "Don't disrespect 'Haunted Church'" here: http://www.theapp.appstate.edu/archives_01-02/01-10-30/letters.html

Now maybe Brother Skiles didn't hang himself, but it seems to me that someone who founded a church and devoted as much of his life to it as Brother Skiles did, that he could have chosen to continue his duties and still watches over the Church today, long after his death.

Those are some excellent photographs by the way, and that green mist is particularly interesting. One day I'll get out to visit my NC friends, and maybe I'll talk one of them into visiting a certain little church in Valle Crucis.
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
Kwazimoto, yes, the pictures are of the church and it is located in Valle Crucis, North Carolina.
Kwazimoto (5 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-01)
Are those pictures you took of the St. Joseph's Episcopal Church you mention in your story? Is this the church in Durham, or Fayetteville?
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-18)
I was not being rude when I made my comment below (there were no photos on the story when I read it), I was complimenting you since you did not tell us you had many great photos but couldn't share them at the moment. Instead, you wrote that you didn't get anything that night, something honest that I always enjoy. Sorry if there was a mis-communication.
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-17)
The picture on the left, notice the red light inside the bottom of it. The same night, another ghost hunter got a blue light in another window with her camera. This picture was taken last year in the autumn. The picture on the right, maybe you see the green mist? I've also caught green smoke with a 35mm camera with 400 speed film. The green mist was captured last summer while seeking spirits with my team (Ghostly Appalachian Paranormal Society).
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-14)
Interesting story. I especially like it that you didn't tell us you had great ghost shots but couldn't add them for some reason... It gives truth to the rest of the story.
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
Motherpann, you are right about the live people, and I do tell the ghost not to follow me home, I ask it, demand it some too. Thanks you for reading and for the advice! Happy hauntings!
MOTHERPANN (10 stories) (77 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
Enjoyed your story, I want to add that another reason you shouldn't go to remote places alone is for your safety from live people. There are some really bad people out there who could harm you. I read a story a while back about a girl in my town going to her brother's grave to get some photos, it was getting dark and she was attacked (I think raped). So it's not always the spirits that can cause problems.

Also don't forget to tell the spirits that they can't come home with you and that they have to stay where they are or you could be bringing home an uninvited guest.

Have fun hunting, I know I do!
Motherpann
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
The spirit of this church, graveyard area I do believe also that it did not want me there. I am a very curious person though and I go alone to many places. I do not fear the unknown, not anymore, I used to, you can tell that from another story of mine. I haven't been to the church since and I do not plan to go disturb it for some time. Never know though when the urge might hit... 😜 Thank you for commenting and reading!
EdgeOfFear (4 stories) (41 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
I think he's right, it seems likely no it didn't want you there judging by the behavior.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
Sometimes we ask for proof of pictures for example and get more then we bargain for. I take it the spirit just didn't like you being there disturbing their peace.
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
Thank you Tonith, logan & mmeibos for the comments! I really appreciate you taking the time to read!
mmeibos (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
about Tonith, he's totally right about having a partner with you so he can document it a little, but ain't it strange that a lot of things happen when you're alone? Like ghosts are scared of you if you don't come alone...
Anyways, I love the story, I wish I could've been there to document ^_^

Nice writing style btw, ever thought about becoming a writer? ❤
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
Hey Ramzey,

Amazing that you find the strenght and the inclination to do what you do in life. Thanks for sharing.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
As an investigator you know that is the method of provoking a spirit into showing itself and sometimes we get more than we bargined for. I have heard of investigators being slapped, pushed, pinched, hair pulled even bite and stratch marks. Unless one can document and have a witness to these events it comes down to being a personal experience. But what an experience! I'm sure it's something you won't forget.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: