You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Looking For Rum

Real Ghost Stories

Looking For Rum

 

My Uncle Gary bought the home his grandparents once lived in. My great grandfather Michael built the home back in the early 40's. Michael and Nelly were my Grandmothers parents and in this house my Aunt Mary, my Uncle Joe and my Grandmother Teresa were born, My grandmother had 3 siblings the youngest was my Uncle Jim. He was born in a hospital; Nelly hemorrhaged and died an hour after giving birth to Jim.

My Uncle Gary was so excited to have the home, He knew that there was going to be a lot of work involved but he was up for the challenge. As the years went by my Uncle Gary built and rebuilt that home, fixed floors, windows, and even built a rec room, which took almost a year to complete. Uncle Gary's family moved in and began living in their newly renovated home.

A few months went by with out a hitch, Then in the middle of an August night my Aunt Lorraine and Uncle Gary were down in their new rec-room watching a movie when they heard what sounded like a chair moving across the floor. Thinking it was one of their two kids up and getting a snack Lorraine went up to see if they needed help.

When she reached the kitchen the lights were off and the chairs were under the table like usual. She went back downstairs and said to Gary it must have been the movie because no one is upstairs. An Hour later they heard the same Noise as if a chair was being pulled across the kitchen floor. Gary went up and found absolutely nothing.

The next day my Uncle Gary called my grandmother and asked her about the noise that himself and Lorraine were hearing. My grandmother laughed and said,"that's my father". She began to tell Gary how her father would hide rum in the back of the rocking chair in the kitchen. Every night she said My father used to go to the rocking chair and take out his bottle of rum, this would make a lot of noise because the rocking chair was heavy and he had to drag it out from the corner.

This made a lot of sense but freaked my Uncle Gary out, so that night he placed a bottle of rum on the kitchen table and went to bed. The next morning my Uncle Gary noticed the bottle was moved from the table to the chair.

So Michael came for a visit, got his rum and put it back where it belonged. Crazy Huh.

Other hauntings by Ghostgirl24

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ghostgirl24, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Wow Ghostgirl sound like his favorite drink like some people favorite drink for sample my favorite drink is coke I can't live without my coke lol, but I understand how that great grandfather of your feel about it.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Wow this was a very interesting story. I realy enjoyed reading it ghostgirl24. I guess your great grandfather liked to his happy spot. Thats why he popped by once in a while to have a drink. But for sure he just pops by. Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Ghostgirl24 (9 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
As far as I know the bottle was not opened but I thought it was cool how my greatgrandfather accepted it by placing it in his chair, it would be funny if he did indeed take a sip.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
I want to party with your great-grandfather! It was "refreshing" no pun intended.

I jest I jest, It was a lovely story
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
cooooooool story, I wonder if the dead get drunk, I will let my thoughts run wild.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
That was a fun story for a change although I'm really curious about one thing-please don't take this as an attempt to humor you... Was all the content of the bottle in its place or was there any evidence that Michael had attempted to drink the rum?
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Hehehe, nice story, guess habits die hard, eh?...In Mexico we celebrate "The Day of the death", (you might have seen it on movies, but you know, movies sometimes over exaggerate!), anyway, its customary to place photos of your love ones that had passed away, their favourite food and beverages, candles and flowers; In my town they even make a flower path from the front porch to where the food is placed to help them find their way, next day you go to the cemetery, clean the tombs, go to church and go back home to eat the food that was left (drinks included!) 😊
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Hmmm.Sounds like the deceased family member was passing through, maybe checking out the remodel. He remembered his past, and tried to go for the rum. Things that comfort us in life don't just go away. The memories are kept within our Soul. At least he didn't spill any on your floor. Sounds like a pleasant visitation, albeit a bit unusual.
Blessings!, Ghostseer 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: