You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: My First Cleansing

Real Ghost Stories

My First Cleansing

 

It was Columbus day week-end in 1992. One of my best friends (Smitty) in the Navy was going to be home on leave in Orlando, Fl and had asked me to meet him and another good friend (Woody) there that week-end. He wanted me to meet his Fiance and help with something else.

I had met Smitty and Woody while stationed aboard my first ship the USS Aylwin (FF 1081). We were known as the 'Wreckin Crew'... (inside joke:)) I had transferred to attend school in Pensacola, Fl and this was a great time to get to see the two of them again. I had a duty free week-end and they had planned their leave together.

I was able to leave Pcola right after my class was over on Friday and I was in Orlando and checked in to my hotel by 2130 that night. (930pm for those who do not 'speak' military time) We all got together, I met Smitty's wife to be and while we were at dinner I learned the other reason Smitty wanted me around.

It seems Jen and her cousins had been messing around with an Oujia board and now something was in her cousin's mobile home. People felt as if they were being watched, lights/tv would go on and off by themselves and the whole shadow moving out of the corner of the eye thing was going on, but every time something would happen they would smell something strange... Smitty wouldn't let Jen tell Woody and I just what that smell was, kind of a control point to prove something was really happening. We then went out and had a great time partying in Orlando... (we were the Wreckin Crew after all...)

Saturday evening, around 1800 (6pmish), we got together again at Jen's cousins home. We heard a peacock cry out and Jen told us that the trailer park was next door to a farm that kept some exotic birds and small animals. Woody, ever the skeptic was having a great time picking on us as we broke out our 'tools' and set them out on Smitty's tailgate.

White candles, sage for smudging, dragons blood and sandlewood incense, my tarot cards (focus point for me) and a Bible. Now Smitty is of mixed Native American heritage, at this time I was a solo practioner of Wiccan (still believed in the Trinity mind you) and as I said Woody our skeptic (our control person if you will).

Once it was fully dark we gathered our things to go into the trailer and the porch light started turning on and off (never did get to check the circuit) The three of us entered (Smitty, Woody and myself). Woody went to the kitchen, dinning room area and sat down, I sat down in the middle of the living room and began preparing the cleansing rite and Smitty started smudging the rest of the house.

As he went through the house he said a blessing, first in Native American (Kree I believe) and then he would read from the book of Psalms. He did this in each room. I started placing the white candles and incense around the living room, that was going to be the last room we blessed and the room I would 'cleanse' the home from.

As Smitty blessed the bathroom the back door slammed open and then shut, it was on a spring, so this was only surprising form the standpoint that it had happened at all, and a peacock cried out (due to the noise of the door I thought...) and I smelled a wet dog. I turned to Woody who laughed off the incident, "Man I can't believe you guys, that was just the wind." I shrugged, maybe so, but after looking at Smitty I knew better.

Smitty finished with the smudging and the blessing of the other rooms and joined me in the living room, we sat down on the floor and (this is going to sound bad but...) invited the spirit back into the house, we wanted it to be present when we completed our task so that it would know that it was unwelcome and that if it needed to pass on or go back to wherever it had come from.

About a half hour later we heard the peacock again, then steps on the back porch. Then the door slowly opened, then slowly closed but there was no one there to open it and we were struck by the smell of a large wet dog. "Man, whose dog is that?" Woody asks from the dinning table. Suddenly his chair, with him still sitting in it, began sliding slowly across the floor. I simply said, "Yeah, I smell it to."

I gathered my strength and pictured in my mind a white light, small at first, just the size of the candle flame in front of me. Then as I prayed/ began casting, I saw it growing, larger moving outward. I asked that any spirits that were earth bound be released. I asked that any non-human entities depart. I pictured the light encompassing the entire trailer, over it, around it, beneath it. Suddenly there was the sound of someone running across the floor, the overpowering odor of wet dog passed Smitty and I and the back door once again slammed open and shut and the peacock cried out again.

That's it. Woody was never quite the same skeptic again-Smitty and Jen have 3 children, one of which shares my birthday... (I 'cursed' him with that one lol). Smitty called me to say Jen was Due Aug 2nd 1998 and I laughed and said..."My birthday- she'll be born on my birthday."

Smitty wasn't happy with me when I was right on both counts, Jen had a healthy baby girl and she was born on my birthday. I received a 0230 (230am) 28Jul1998 phone call from Smitty and all he said was "I hate you." He called back on Aug 2nd to give my wife and me the rest of the details. I've lost track of Woody and don't talk to Smitty much anymore-it's a shame we were so close at one time, the 3 of us. Funny how things change as one grows older.

Anyway, that was my first 'cleansing'. As far as I know there never was another problem at that home. Oh, the smell Jen didn't tell us about. The one that accompanied the visitations of the spirit/entity...you guessed it, the smell of a large wet dog.

Respectfully,

Rook

Other hauntings by rookdygin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Idaho

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rookdygin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Rook, as I wait for my own two submitted stories to be published/rejected, I'm now going through my favourite writers' narrations, yours included. What more can I say, I'm emerging wiser and entertained, both at the same time! Thank you:)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
geetha,

You asked about the wet dog smell... And if this spirit may have been the spirit of a dog.

I do not believe this was the spirit of an animal... I think the smell was 'created' by the spirit because it offended and irritated the individuals who lived in the home... This helped to create an environment that the 'spirit' could thrive in.

Respectfully,

Rook
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
When I was reading the story, I got the feeling that it wasn't a malevolent spirit but one that got attached to the home and was curious. But what I don't understand is the smell of the wet dog. Was it actually a dog or a spirit with a wet dog?

As for your friends, I totally agree with you. As we grow older, priority and simple things change and we lose contact. Have you tried finding out where Woody and Smitty are right now. You might not be as close as you were when you were younger but it would be nice to know what has happened since the last time you got together. I always hate to lose such friendship but I guess life goes on!
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-17)
I don't think people realise the danger of Ouijas until they've tried them. I think most people are skeptical about them and that's why they try. And then it's too late!

Unfortunately,too many young people try it for fun. They have no true sense of danger and they don't realise what the consequences are. Of course, curiousity brought out by horror movies doesn't help either.

For a lot of kids, I guess it's like experimenting with drugs. You just don't know what you're getting into and how hard it is too get yourself out.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-20)
I don't check back often enough...

I have done many in my time. This was my first experience with one and I learned enough to drive me forward and keep learning so that I could help others. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-08)
wet dog smell? That's a really weird one from a spirit. I'm glad you guys were able to get rid of it. Fortunately it wasn't malicious, it probably got stuck to the area and maybe couldn't leave because of improper ouija use. Did you have to do any other cleansings besides this one?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
wow this sure sounds like a scary stoy! Thank you for sharring it with us. It is a great read. I have to say almost all the time I hear about ouji boards stories I know I'm going to have a great read. Thanks again
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
Thanks for the comments...

Rhodes68: It was not 'my' experience with a board this time. My friend Smitty's wife to be, her cousin and a couple of three other people had actually used the board about 2 months before I was envolved in any way. I was glad to help in any way I could. I never had the feeling that this was an evil entity, nor even a malicious spirit. More of a lost soul that had gotten connected to that home because of the use of the ouija board.

One never knows whom/what may be contacted when useing a ouija board, it's not the board itself that 'is evil/contacts evil'. It is the simple fact that the board is a very open way of contacting the other side and it is WE who need to be responsible enough to use this tool, or any tool properly.

Respectfully,

Rook
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
Another great account Rook-I trully enjoyed reading it! I'm happy your experience with the board was a productive one although I personally stay away from them. Too bad you three drifted apart but that's life I suppose.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
I really enjoyed your story, yes I have to agree how friends lose touch and go their own ways.
SchizoSephy (74 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-02)
Using the Ouija board is a "death-sentence." When a Ouija board is activated who knows what's going to come. Example Maybe a deceased friend or loved one. OR a malevolent intruder that could curse you physically, mentally emotionally harm you or possibly possess you. I did a similar thing a long time ago. My "punishment" for doing that was hearing and seeing things not human. I will never touch a Ouija board. It's bad enough for me anyway. And it's a sin...
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-02)
Cleansings work, but people don't understand the power and trappings of messing with ouija boards, inviting spirits inside, etc... It is amazing to me how nieve some individuals are. Your story was interesting on many levels, and I really got caught up in the relationships. Thanx for sharing...Blessings, Ghostseer

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: