You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Who's That Sleeping In My Bed?

Real Ghost Stories

Who's That Sleeping In My Bed?

 

We have lived in many houses where 'things go bump in the night' as we English like to say, but this made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

As a family we have moved many times in the past to get away from seeing people/figures, smells, the television turning over, etc and have decided at last that moving doesn't work if they decide to move with you!

I came home from work last week said hello as I came in and went straight up stairs to change. As a bit of back ground I leave the house at 6.30am each morning and before leaving open the bedroom curtains in all the bedrooms.

As I got changed I noticed my eldest son who is 11 sneaking quietly up the stairs, he got to the top and dashed straight in to my room slamming the door. Of course I thought that this was one of his usual pranks, but he started to cry, real sobbing and very heart breaking. When he calmed down a little I asked him what was wrong, he replied that he was too ashamed. The story came out that he had heard me leaving the house that morning and snuggling back under the bed covers rolled over from on his back to his side which faces a reflective framed picture on the wall. As he closed his eyes he felt the bunk bed (he is on top) shake, but thought this was his little 4 year old brother moving underneath. After the bed shook again he opened his eyes and caught his reflection in the picture opposite. He said that lying behind him was a man also lying on his side propped up on his elbows looking over my sons shoulder.

My son describes how the man seemed to be looking at the picture as he was and said that when their eyes made contact this man smiled like it was completely normal. I asked my son what happened next and he said that he was so frightened that not only couldn't he move but actually wet him self. My son has never wet the bed in his 11 years and this was what hurt.

He went on to say that he continued to watch to man for ages, (but was probably only minutes) when he saw in the reflection the man reach out and touch him on the shoulder. He said that he didn't actually feel anything, but jumped up and jumped off the bunk bed. This is a very high bed and he could have done some damage, but he said that he just needed to get away.

I asked my son to describe him as I thought he might have been a relative. He said that no it wasn't any one he knew and described him as follows. Black curly hair, very dark skin, blue jumper, black trousers and brown shoes. This brought back memories of when he was 2 years and he climbed into our bed one morning and started staring at the ceiling. When I asked him what he was doing and to go to sleep he told me a man was on the ceiling. He had just given the same description at 11 as he did when he was 2!

The poor thing is now frightened to be alone in the room and follows me around like a little shadow! At the moment he sleeps down in the living room.

I have always seen things from an early age as did my Nan and mom, but always hoped my kids wouldn't.

Look forward to any comments.

Other hauntings by lankyloo98

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lankyloo98, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
-3
13 years ago (2011-06-13)
With all due respect madam, are you absolutely sure that this was in fact a ghost? And not some pedo who managed to find his way into your son's bedroom?
lankyloo98 (7 stories) (14 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-13)
Many thanks for all your comments. We did once leave a tape recorder running whilst we went out for the day and found it had taped whispering, footsteps and someone shushing at the end as if to tell them to shut up. Out of my four children all of them have seen and heard things, but we are a very open family and it has become an everyday conversation so it seems to be becoming a normal way of life. You just don't expect them to get in bed with you! The only one who see's and hears but refuses to believe is my husband. We were once told by a medium that the spirits were attached to us as family and that myself and children give off such a bright light that this is what was attracting them. We have moved about 10 times so far, but still they follow.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-10)
lankyloo98,
I really hate to say this, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect, but this could almost be billed as a cautionary tale. So many experiences I've read about have had parents making statements near to yours:
'I have always seen things from an early age, but always hoped my kids wouldn't'.
Now these same parents are faced with the folly of that decision, and the repercussions are having to deal with a child scared of his own shadow. This does not mean that I believe any of these parents are bad parents. It just goes to show what wishful thinking gets us.
Regretful as you are about that decision, it does have to be dealt with, and it helps if you dissect his experience with him. Beyond what this man looked like, he wasn't doing anything that would be considered threatening, of course that's just my opinion, nothing that would be thought of as harmful either. From your sons own description, he was smiling only and then reached up to pat his shoulder. As I see, so far he has not tried to overtly frighten your son. More likely he was trying to comfort him. Even though you don't believe this man to be a relative of yours, he still could have that connection. It might help to get out the old family photos from both parents families. Just have him go through them, you never know what might come up. And ask others in the family if they ever had any similar experiences, you might be surprised at what you find. But it is important to start deconstructing the fear he feels. All the movies that have come out that have to do with the paranormal have done nothing to help, and it's the fear they engender that parents are having to deal with now, because most paranormal encounters don't involve spirits on the attack. They are mostly residual and rarely intelligent. Remember to keep that in mind when trying to teach him not to be afraid. And it doesn't help him if your reaction to his experience is to be freaked out, because once they see a parent in fear it's hard to get that out of their memory.

Jav

PS~~Don't forget the other children need to learn these things too.
cindy1021585 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-10)
Wow! I'm so sorry your kids had to see that. 😭 😭 I couldn't imagine my children seeing that.
Adolphos (62 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-09)
Sometimes, whatever ghosts speak is audible, but sometimes though you can't hear them but they do appear on microphones. And when recorded, the captured sounds will be called EVPs, stands for Electronic Voice Phenomenon. So while you attempt to confront him, you can just carry a microphone, maybe just a land phone set that let's you hear directly what's captured by the mic.
Adolphos (62 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-09)
It's unsure how often he appears, how much he is in the house, or how often he visits. But he should practice sound judgment before appearing before people. And appearing like that to a child was completely unacceptable on his part. So it's better that he is confronted with this, and he better should find some good explanation for his actions. If you do achieve contact, which would mean he is there often, and he is uncooperative, or turns out to not have good intentions, you can do a smudging of the house and remove him for good (though spirits often return after some years after smudging, then it has to be done again).
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-09)
Poor guy! I feel for him, and thought he handled it very bravely. I think I would have died of fright, quite literally. Hopefully, if whatever he saw was not a malevolent entity but just a spirit trying to make contact, it will realize how frightened he was and leave him alone. I had a bizarre incident when I was very young that terrified me, and I have sometimes wondered if it was a test of some kind and I failed. I feel I have some borderline psychic abilities, but perhaps they never developed because I was just too scared.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-09)
Oh, I'm sorry your poor boy has been so scared by this stuff. [cry] I would be too! Just try and explain to him that it's normal to be scared, but to try not to be. Ghosts like the one he saw are just people who have passed on. If he gets scared, he can close his eyes or pray or do whatever helps him to feel better. No matter what, it's going to help that he has your support and understanding.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: