You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Researchers Still Searching

Real Ghost Stories

Researchers Still Searching

 

From my previous stories and comments I have mentioned that I work in the County Circuit Clerks office. We are the keepers of most County books. These records covers Land Deeds, Deed of Trust (mortgages, modifications, etc.), and various civil/criminal records. We have all records back from the early to mid 1800's. Most are public record so our typical day has researchers from various companies doing searches in out vault.

This particular courthouse was built in the mid 40's, replacing the original that was built in the late 1800's. So there is a rich history of the land that flows through out the courthouse. Our vault, which is located right behind my desk, is approximately 20 feet by 40 feet with rows of cabinets that hold very large books, as well three walls. In the back corner is a metal spiral staircase that winds down to the "dungeon". It is the same size as the vault room above. It too has rows of cabinets containing old books.

We (myself and coworkers) have been experiencing some things that I feel are mostly residual. We have on several occasions heard what one would describe as rustling of book pages. As if someone was flipping through one of the books. As old as this building is the vault was built to be mostly climate controlled. That being said, it is not possible for a draft or breeze to cause the sound.

Back in November I was in the office by myself during lunch when I heard the rustling. My ears perked up as I strained to hear more. Suddenly a chair that sets in front of one the computers moved. Granted this was only the sound. I did a quick memory check of who was not back there. I got up, walked the five steps to see in the vault and no one was there. I quickly walked the entire vault to assure myself no one was back there. I grinned and walked up to the pair of chairs and pushed them back underneath the desk.

I left the vault and sat back down at my desk and continued on with my work. Only 5 minutes later I heard a chair move again. I bounced up and quickly looked in to see that one of the chairs was pulled back about 6 inches. I went crazy. Well, not really but it sent chills all over me. I thought it was pretty cool. I told my coworkers when they returned from lunch so they have been on the look out every since.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago. One of my coworkers actually faces the opening to the vault. One day while I was at lunch she said she saw the same chair pulled out and pushed back in very quickly. She didn't hear anything but watched as it happened. That's weird, no sound.

Well, that's just a few things that have happened recently. There are others such as tapping on my head, maps being pulled from the wall. I think most are residual researchers but some have shown other possibilities.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Other hauntings by Wish-Not

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wish-Not, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-31)
Well here's ANOTHER update with office happenings. I thought about submitting this as a story but,...na.

It's been a week since the last two FREAKY things. A week ago Thursday my two co-workers and I were present when we plainly heard someone/thing a "jibberous" voice as it said about three to four words. It happened right in front of one of the ladies. I'm talking about a foot or less. The sound and volume was unmistakable. However, the actual words could not be understood. All three of our jaws dropped and eyes widened. All agreed that we heard it but couldn't make out what it said.

Tweed, you have asked before if the general public has ever witnessed anything. Well the following day, a week ago today, I was in the vault with a young man. We were looking for restrictions for the subdivision that he lives in. We had narrowed it down to a certain deed book and had placed it on the tall desk to review.

*side note* The deed books are large and heavy so they are kept in racks with rollers to easily remove.

As we were looking at the book, one of the rollers started to ROLL. It continued to roll at a steady pace for about 15 seconds. We both turned to watch it as it started and continued until it finished. πŸ˜† He turned and looked at me with HUGE eyes. I played it off the best I could saying something like "Oh that happens all the time". But really doesn't. He said it was weird because he had been watching "Supernatural" all morning.

After he left I went back and tried to get the roller to do the same thing manually. It would only spin/roll for a second and quit.

Well there you go, we can go for a long time with nothing and then out of the blue some thing new. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-08)
Hey Tweed- I mentioned at the end of the this story about a map being pulled from the wall. This particular "ownership map" is a 3'x4' laminated map attached with 9 push pins to a cork board. The day it was pulled down there were I believe 3 from the public and all 3 of us office workers present when that happened. It was during an active time.

In addition, there is a lot of noise that comes from behind my desk while I am either off or at lunch. Several times would be heard by customers and co-workers. My desk is open on the bottom so one can see 90% behind my desk. They described it as a large amount of paper being shuffled or falling. However nothing is amiss. The co-worker is only 6-7 feet away from the front of my desk. She states she could tell it wasn't from the vault area.

Anyways, the area this courthouse is located is in the old part of town. There are documented haunted locations within 50 yards of this office so...
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-08)
Wish Not, wow cool thanks for the update!

Perhaps some of these 'researchers' are attempting to check their own records. If you know which book was interacted with, it would be interesting if said book contained records of someone who worked at the County Clerks office. πŸ˜†

Has anything abnormal ever happened in the company of the general public? That would be *ahem* one for the books. πŸ˜‰
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-09-07)
Well just a quick update related to this story. It has been really quiet over the past year. However, 😲 just yesterday as I was working at me desk when an ink pen lifted up out of a can setting on my desk and fell. I only heard it land on my desk. One of my co-workers actually saw it happen. Pretty freaky!

And then today during a quiet time, the sound of one of the large deed books could heard setting down quite hard onto a counter. ALL three of us looked at each other like "WTH"? One co-worker asked if there was anyone the vault. There was no one in the vault. In addition, there were no books misplaced.

So I thought I would throw that activity in.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Wish-Not - I Google, a lot LOL, especially shows I like. When Once Upon a Time first aired, I researched the cast and found out the Snow and Prince Charming were married in real life. Their chemistry made so much more sense then. And they both seem like they would be people I would like to get to know 😊

And yes, I'm sure that episode will air again, and again LOL
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Miracles- She was a sweet lady. Her husband Josh, who is actually plays Prince Charming in that series, sat with me several hours while Gennifer was filming. He was a really nice guy. The whole day was pretty disruptive for us trying to do "our thing" but it was good overall. I'm willing to bet TLC will be playing it again. Seems to me EVERYTHING is a rerun.

HecateO- I do still work here. And we run a pretty tight ship. We are the "Keepers Of THE Books". Gennifer was finding out about her great grandfather. Not going to spoil it if you have not seen it but what one finds isn't always good.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
That IS very cool, Wish-Not. Attention to order and detail would be firmly instilled in all workers there through time. You can just imagine one still there, trying to make sure the chairs are pushed in, over and over and over. Are you still working there?

Hecate
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
OMG! Seriously? I love Ginnifer Goodwin and will have to see if that's available on On Demand. That is so cool, Wish-Not πŸ˜†
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Did anyone watch "Who Do You think You Are?" on TLC Sunday night? The actress was Gennifer Goodwin. The first location was in Independence co. That was actually my office that she was in and that this story is about. It was the one with the spiral staircase.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
Thanks BabyG- It is an interesting place to work. We actually had a researcher this week that worked for two days researching a particular person. She brought out a deed for a slave girl. It listed her approximate age and her name. Can't remember what the name was though. Curious stuff.

I'll probably write my next story next week. We are off Monday so I'll try to submit it Tuesday. Funny things at home.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
I would LOVE to work in a place like that Wish! Wouldn't last long though. I'd be in the back reading all the time.

And having the residuals and an intelligent just makes it more enticing. Can't wait to read your next one!
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
Wish-not,
Well I can't say good morning back now so good afternoon, I'm glad there wasn't a smell, if this keeps happening you should put a voice/ sound recorder (or even a camera) in the room it happens most in and then we can all hear.
And I can't wait to hear your next stories, glad to hear you'll be working on your next, don't rush them though, take your time - but not to much! - just kidding, I'll be happy to read your stories when they are published.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
elanoraemily,
Wow, good one, that's quite a good idea, I guess I wouldn't mind having one around AS long as there was no smells, because if there was and it was a small room I would probably die of "gas poisoning"
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
elnora- It has me wondering if "it" was just trying to be funny. I mean I wouldn't think it would have/need to that. If it was trying to make us laugh it worked. It's done other "in your face" things before butt this was a first.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
A flatulent ghost. Just what every home needs. You would never have to take responsibility!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
Good morning Sam- No, there wasn't a smell. Well we didn't go sniffing though lol. I wasn't aware they did either. Butt it was quite obvious what it was. It was only 5-6 feet in front of us. And Miracles has had it happen to her, so why not. Anyways I'll work on getting that written up along with some more current events that has happened at the house.

It seems to enjoy amusing us.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
Wish-not,
Hey, lol (calling me sam I am, and yes I've read and own green eggs and ham), thanks for getting back to me, I know what talking about and that makes sense, and about that last part of the comment, well first of all I had not ever one clue that a ghost/ spirit could pass the gas, but I guess there still capable of pretty much anything it must've smelt too, hopefully they don't puke or something like that.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Mmmm..."Pooter the Tooter and Friends"? πŸ˜†
Ok...I'll stop - maybe πŸ˜†
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Well Griff is was definitely funny! It is fun to have such conversations and get away from that other stuff. Ex, Angle9090

I'm glad to provide some relief...phurrrrt. No, not that kind of relief πŸ˜† πŸ˜† 😭
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Wish-Not, apologies, I have to admit I was skim reading, but the thought of this was too funny not too share πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

And pooter... Love it!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Ladies, Ladies... The story will have to be about more than just that so the title will cover other events. I'm trying to figure out which ones to add with it. Guessing the ones that involve more "personal" issues. It would seem to fit.

Yall kill me thought! So freaking funny! And Griff this little pooter was at home.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
val - I'm voting for "Can You Smell Me Now?" πŸ˜† Darn character limit!
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Hahaha this is the funniest thing I have read in ages, ghosts with 'wind' issues...

I can just see it now, Wish-Not sat at his desk, minding his own, behind him, a ghoul, ready for the big chair moving number...

But first, need to stretch, can't over exercise with cold muscles, maybe a couple of lunges...oh...was that me? πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+4
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Wonders if Wish-Not will title the next story, "Gaseous Maximus" or "The Wind Douth Blow"? Perhaps even (drum roll) "Can you Smell me Now?"
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
I swear my non-living housemate (s) must have had a bad case of gas during that time. I remember my daughter mentioning something about it too. Gotta love validation πŸ˜† Makes me curious if it's the same guy who cussed πŸ˜• Anyway, looking forward to reading about that experience LOL
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Oh Miracles- I was Freaking hilarious. We laughed our a$$ off. It wasn't but 6 feet from us. Wait, this was going to be part of a story. Funny stuff!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Oh Wish-Not - πŸ˜† I have experienced that same side note LOL Hard to blame it on the kids or cat when none of them were around πŸ˜‰ And I'm not taking credit for anything I haven't done πŸ˜†
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Hey Sam I Am- From time to time either at work and home I will get the sense of something present. It's the electically static type thing along with goose bumps for no reason at all.

As far as the books go, they are always put up in their place. No books are ever left out when not being used. The oldest deed books are located on the opposite side of the wall behind my desk. I'm curious if someone is trying to figure out who has their property now.

My boss has told me things she has heard in the late hours when she works late. Movements, odd muffled voices, and "swishing" type of sounds. I have keys to the courthouse that I have been tempted to just come out and set and listen. I don't know. I'm not one to look for the paranormal. It does a fine job of finding me.

*side note, we had one pass gas at home this past Monday night. I kid you not. It was funny as hell. I'll leave that for another story though. Thanks for stopping by Sam I Am.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Wow, hey great story, I was wondering; can you ever feel them? Not physically but like you know when there near. When you hear the pages flipping you said you can only hear it, I guessing you never even see a book around that could be comes from right?
Also have you ever wondered about what might happen there during the after hours?
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
sds- Thanks for stopping by. I am thinking that the occasional rustling sound, page flipping might be the residual but the chair moving is definitely intelligent actions. Twice within 5-6 minutes seems pretty deliberate. As well as the tapping on my head. Someone was playing with me. The girls got a kick out of me when I kept jumping up and swinging my arms about.

The co-worker that faces the vault has also told me that one occasion I left the office she heard quite a commotion come from behind my desk. She couldn't see the area in question but thought something large fell. However, nothing was amiss. All was in place and nothing had moved. She's probably 10 feet from my desk and it is normally on the quiet side in out office so...

One never knows when something will happen around here. Kind of keeps us on our toes.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: