You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Noises From Vents

Real Ghost Stories

Noises From Vents

 

As I've said in a few of my stories on here already, my family has had a few experiences in our house. A couple weeks ago I started hearing things around the house. I should note that I've heard things in my house before but never really had any evidence as to what caused it.

It had to be around 2-3 weeks ago when I was home alone one morning. I was standing in the bathroom when I started to hear barking. At first I paid to attention to it, thinking it was neighborhood dogs or at least my dog but I soon realized that the barking noise was coming from the bathroom vent. Still with this I continued to think it was a dog barking, but the thing is that the dogs in my neighborhood almost never bark loudly and my dog was sitting in the hallway. I went on with my day.

Around a week after this, I was again standing in the bathroom when I heard the barking again. This time I just looked at the vent to make sure I wasn't mishearing things. But it really was barking. My dog was again sitting in the hallway, waiting for me. I honesty got a little freaked out by this because I've had uneasy feelings in the house before and this barking has never occurred prior to these experiences. One of the first thing that came to mind after hearing the barking the second time was the possibility of something happening in the basement of the house at some point, because the basement is really the major place that I've had strong and uneasy feelings in. The reason why I point this out is because the vent leads to the basement.

Last week, so a few days after hearing the second barking, I was again home alone one morning, but this time I was in my bedroom. I was going through my closet when I heard what sounded like a guitar being strummed. Like the barking sound, this was coming from a vent. There's no guitars in my house, and my tv's volume was almost in audible that morning. I had no explanation to what caused the sound.

I basically at that time thought that maybe something was in the vent, but other than the noises I heard the weeks prior, I knew that it was unlikely. I had never heard any distinct noises like those before, at least in the house or vent.

Than the other day I was in my bedroom when I heard talking coming from the vent. At first I thought it was my brothers because it was early in the morning (about 7am). I basically assumed they didn't leave for school yet. Almost like clockwork one of my brothers texted me, telling me that he forgot something at home and needed me to drop it off to him whenever I left. By then the talking had stopped, but still there was no way they could have left and texted me within that time frame. It's easy to say that I left earlier than anticipated that morning.

I'm still not sure what the noises were, but all I can say is that it really sounded like barking and a guitar being strummed. I haven't heard any noises recently but then again it was only a few weeks ago that I started to hear these.

I just wrote this to maybe get answers, has anybody experienced noises like this before? Or to maybe get opinions onto what readers might think it is. I'm not sure what or if anything has ever happened in the house before.

Other hauntings by themiss

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, themiss, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

utopianchrist (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-20)
next time whenever you hear thing at any place in your house, make sure to carry your dog there, if he behaves weirdly or nervously, something is definitely not right, I myself live in a flat where a lady burnt herself to death, thank to god I have o brave soul o accompany me, my two big dogs 'Marcus' and 'Brutus', they always let me know prior to any supernatural interference in my house.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-11)
Hm, I guess it's one of those experiences I have to witness myself. Thank you for giving more details though. I understand more stuff from the story.

Thank you for sharing
themiss (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-11)
I don't think my dog could of heard the barking because he was in the hallway (and i'm aware that dogs have a much stronger sense of sound than humans) which might explain why he didn't react to the sound, and it's also not really in his character to bark at any noise and he's around dogs a lot too. I don't really know how to explain it so that the readers will understand but the way the sound was it didn't sound like it was from outside or like it was maybe an echo of something from outside. There's dogs in the neighborhood but none in the houses around mine. If that makes sense? I don't know if it's anything paranormal, but there has been other unexplainable things happen in the house. I guess everyone has their own opinions but all I can say is that the noises weren't from outside.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-11)
Thank you for chopping at the root and not clipping branches Jav. I thought it was weird that the dog didn't respond at all to the sound.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-11)
Simply because the vents lead to the basement doesn't mean the sounds originated there. The metal vent can pick up and carry the sound, just like it would any vibration, it doesn't particularly have to have come from the basement. The sound just needs to be a certain pitch that hits at the right spot for it to carry, that's all. The fact that you don't mention your dog getting excited at all about the barking you heard says that the dog was not surprised to hear it. That may have been the first time you noticed the sounds, but I'm guessing the dog is used to them. Which only suggests to me that they are not paranormal, they are normal sounds generated elsewhere. Somewhere close, in the vicinity of the neighborhood you live in.

Jav
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-11)
When the barking happens, does your dog ever bark back or stare at the vent?
themiss (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-10)
the vent where the barking was coming from leads directly to the basement, so I don't think it's anything outside the house. Also the way the sounds are don't really sound like they would be coming from outside either, if that makes sense.
Another thing is that, and i'm thinking of writing a story on here about it, the other I had an odd experience and a somewhat strange dream. So I don't know if there's any connection there with the noises (even though there doesn't seem like there is).
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-09)
It might be a residual haunting. Maybe a former tenant had a dog that spent time in the basement and played guitar, and its imprinted in the environment.
BunnyPanda (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-09)
PS: What most people do is blessings, so maybe you should give it a shot.
BunnyPanda (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-09)
My opinion is that there might use to be a dog who lives under the basement, but died and came back? I wonder... Do you still hear the dog barking and the guitar?
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-09)
Does the bathroom vent lead to an outside vent? Our downstairs bathroom is like that. If something is happening outdoors, we will hear it through the vent.

I live in Wisconsin, too, so you never know...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: