You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: He's At The Door

Real Ghost Stories

He's At The Door

 

It was after midnight when I went to bed last night (7/22/2015), not long after I heard a rapping on my apartment door. I got up and called through the locked door, "Who is it?" Silence. Another knock. "Who is it?" I called out louder. No way am I just opening the door, so I drag over the stepstool so that I can look through the peek hole. The stairwell light is on, but no one is there. Weird. "More fun and games?" I ask of the air, thinking it might be one of the spirits who sometimes 'visits', as there's a chill in the air, and I'm getting that tingling sensation.

Climbing back down, I turned to see one of twins standing right inside my apartment. Only it can't be. For one thing, my sisters lived several states away. For another, the twin I was looking at has been dead for over a decade. For simplicity sake, I will call this twin C, and her living counterpart D. Even though they are identical, I could always tell them apart, so I knew this was C. I had just opened my mouth to speak, when she said, "Call! Call NOW! He's at the door!" and vanished. D immediately came to mind.

D lives with her daughter and son-in-law in a very rural part of Kentucky. They built her her own private apartment at the back of their house. It's now around 1 AM my time, making it 3 AM there, still I grab the phone and punch her number, and let it ring.

Being nearly 75 she has difficulty moving and is nearly blind, it always takes awhile for her to answer. Finally, I hear her sleepy voice. Since D has confided in me that she has seen C several times, since her passing, I'm hoping I don't sound like too much of a wackadoodle to her. "D, it's me. C-," I'm cut off by my sister's suddenly panicked voice. "Val, I think there's someone outside! I just heard -"

I don't wait for more, I grab my cell and punch in my niece's number. To D I say, "Keep talking to me. I'm getting Ed (her son-in-law) on my cell."

I figure Ed is our best bet. He can reach her long before the cops ever could. When I say 'rural' I do mean rural like 10 miles from the nearest neighbor. Ed answers sounding mad, "Somebody better be dying. Who the hell is this?"

"Ed, get your gun and get to D - somebody's breaking in!"

"What?" He's awake and no longer annoyed.

"Go! Go now!"

I hear him telling my niece that there's a crazy woman on the phone. "It's Aunt Val. I'll explain later. Go! Go now!" My niece now gets on the line. As soon as she hears my voice, she's telling Ed he'd better go.

I can hear D starting to cry in fear, saying the door is being tried, and I tell her Ed is on his way. I tell my niece to call the cops, and hang up on her. Rude, but D needs me more.

Things get a bit confusing then, as I've only audio on my end, but apparently my niece has entered the apartment from the inside entrance as Ed ran around the outside. Even over the phone, I can hear the shot, and a muffled yell as Ed comes around the outside. I hear him call out to D if she's ok. I hear my niece saying the cops are on their way, as she tries to calm my sister.

Minutes tick by. Finally D comes back on the line. She wants to know why I called. I nearly laugh. Partly out of relief, partly because she might think I'm nuts. I explained as best I could about C's visit. All D said is she was glad I had listened to her and called.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-09-10)
Silentwings,
Thanks for reading. The twins have always been close. When they were small they even had their own language. Of course, I only know this because my mom told me.
Silentwings (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-10)
Valkricry,I added this to my favs its a wonderful thing that she came back and warned you to call her. I find it unique and amazing,I've heard of twins having Intuition for each other when they are alive and always wondered if it stays with them in the after life, this story answers that question. Thank you for sharing it. 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-07-29)
Vonboeckmann,
Thanks for reading and the hug. One can never have enough hugs. 😊

Granny, I checked! Lol

Babygoatpuller, oh my - can you imagine? My sister was telling me it was confusing enough for the cops when they were told that the family had been alerted by an out of state call. When asked how I could possibly have known my niece simply said,"My Aunt's like that, she just KNOWS stuff."
Guess that was easier than saying a ghost told her. πŸ˜†
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-29)
Val- Great story and going into my favs also! I'm wondering if that jerk is thinking "how the heck did I get caught?" I'd love to see the look on his face as someone tells him he was ratted out by a ghost! πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-29)
Val: Check your "other" message folder on facebook. 😊 😊

Sixmoreneeded
Vonboeckmann (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-29)
Hi Val
Just logged in again for a little read... Can I breath now?
I am so relieved your family are safe. Please excuse my lateness of comment. Your reaction was spot on. Twins are close in life and also in death. Thanks kindly for sharing. Just want to give you a little safe hug and breath. Regards J ❀
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Triskaideka,
πŸ˜† You aren't alone in that, I don't know how many times I've skipped reading comments first, just to be sure my 'take' wasn't influenced by others, only to discover that my questions have already been asked and answered. *SMH* Great minds, hmmm?
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Flowers,
Welcome back, and thanks for reading!
I think the way I reacted is related to personal experiences. I've had auditory events most of my life. If you're interested, I go into some of them in Can You Hear Me Now? Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=18124.
Again, welcome back!
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Just read the comments, so I feel silly for my own. Sheesh, so glad you informed her, either way. What a scary situation!
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Val, as usual, I'm trying to relax before (returning to) bed, and I feel the need to comment on one of your stories. Go figure!
I'm just ever so glad you listened to your instincts and called. What ever came of the identification of the intruder? Were they arrested? Was this a physical intrusion or a spiritual one?
Wow. Just, wow.
27flowers (2 stories) (25 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Oh simply amazing! I can only imagine the panic you felt, I worry that I would talk myself out of what I was seeing/experiencing but what is lovely is that you have an amazing belief in yourself and trust in C. What a relief it ended how it did!

All the best,
Flowers

Ps, I've just came back to YGS after a long break (couple of years) from reading and this story has made me remember why I used to love YGS so much. Thank you!
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Oh yes it is! For me it was my grandmother warning me about my uncle. 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
Tweed,
On our recalling our age thing, maybe it's because all our 'milestones' are behind us? You know, 13, you're no longer a kid but a teenager. 16, use to be the 'dating' age, 18, graduate highschool. 21 - you're a grownup! At 30 all we get is cracks about getting old πŸ˜†.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
Val, that makes sense that C showed herself as you remember, particularly given that she hadn't done this, and the urgency of the moment. It's very interesting that she shows herself to D as in a matched age. Through their twin connection maybe C identifies with D's physical appearance. I feel that some ghosts are uncomfortable contacting the people they knew in their life for many different reasons. Sometimes it's belief based, sometimes it'll be a case of not wanting to appear 'needy'. Maybe C just didn't want to put you out all these years, but knew she could contact you if push ever came to shove. Which, my god, it did!
Haha maybe ghosts seek out at least one living person they can go to for help in times of need. Big bonus points if it's someone they actually know well!

Re the age thing, I have to calculate my age every time it comes up like: "I'm uhh early 30's or something, yeh that's it." I started doing this in my early 20's! No idea how it started. I don't really think of age and I think that's got to do with it. But I feel not thinking about our age too much just means we have better things to think about. πŸ˜‰
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
Red,
I know - 'family' right? Well, unless they know being told 'your just a baby' bothers you, they could mean it as a compliment. At least that's how it is out here, meaning that they don't see you as being old at all.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
Bela, thanks for reading, and I'm glad you liked it!

Mannerizms, kind of trippy when it happens, isn't it?
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
I'm so glad C spoke and you listened! I have had this happen to me as well:) I'm so happy all turned out well.

❀ Blessed be to you and yours ❀
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
Val,
My husband and his sister (they don't talk but she'll have her hand out when their mother dies, joke is on her after I get her debts paid off there will be next to nothing. πŸ˜†) are the youngest of the family. So when I go with my mother in-law to a funeral and see his cousins they will ask how old Ray and I are now and I tell them they me oh you're still a baby. I HATE that. I should tell them how OLD they look or say oh my you didn't age well at all. πŸ˜†
Regards
Red
Bela_10 (3 stories) (51 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
It was like an action movie!:D Nice story. I'll definitely add this to my favorite stories. ❀

---Bela---
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-25)
Thank you kindly,Seraphina. I think the trusting in the unconventional, or our gut instincts comes with time. It's the not knowing how it will be received that puts the kink in it.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-25)
ahuff,
Well this is funny. Earlier I left a comment for you on your story, but then had to leave to take care of some things. I come back to find you had commented on mine before I did yours! I guess it struck me funnier than what it is. πŸ˜†
I think it odd, that though many of my family has been through to either say Good-bye, or pass through and say Hi, some of them never seem to. C was one of them - until the other night. Possibly, I was a last ditch effort. If no one else could be made to understand/listen, she knew I would. But then who knows?
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-25)
Val, I admire you for trusting your gift. It takes guts to believe in and act on what can't always be seen in the conventional way.

And you sure know how to write a thriller!
ahuff6513 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-25)
Its amazing how family is there even after passing! I am glad nobody got hurt! An amazing story! You have an amazing guardian angel with you all, God only knows what could have happened if she wasn't there to warn you!
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-25)
Red,
Wasn't my brother I called but my nephew-in-law. Easy mistake to make though since it was my sister needing help.
You must've peeked at my profile πŸ˜‰. Now, don't laugh at me, but I actually had to do the math to recall my age. I just don't give it much thought any more, I guess, but I am 57. Ever state your age and wonder, how the heck you got to be that old? πŸ˜†
Not quite ready for the old folks home yet, but there are days...
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-25)
val
This story is amazing. Thank God C came to you to warn you and tell you to call. Thankfully you did call your brother and he had a gun. Although I don't think I would have given a warning shot. I would put one in his fanny, graze of course. I wouldn't want to cause any brain damage by putting a bullet in his butt. Thank C for me and I thank God your sister is fine.
By the way you called yourself an old lady,I'm 54 and thought you were my age or younger. Okay lady I gave up me age, your turn.
BTW this is going in my favs.
Regards
Red
DeathByDonut (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-25)
Valkricry:
Thanks for the details. And thank god, D had locked that door otherwise it would have been a terrible nightmare. And that Hunting Knife... 😨

Yours respectfully,
DBD
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-24)
Wish-Not, I somehow did not see your comment right a way. I am sooo sorry. Thank you for reading, you echo exactly how I felt after this happened. "WOW", indeed! 😊

Lady-glow,
Awww, sorry about your nails. May they grow back ultra fast!
Not sure what will happen to the guy. By Kentucky law, since he was an intruder, Ed could have legally shot him. How ever it turns out, I don't think he'll be showing his face around there any time soon.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-24)
Hecate,
Oh, you are just too sweet 😊.
No one was more surprised than I at how fast this account got published. That's why I had placed the date like I did, I figured it might be awhile. I've had a fair amount of experiences with the paranormal, but it never ceases to amaze me when things like this happen.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-24)
Tweed,
C appeared to me the way I remember seeing her last. I think maybe spirits that we knew can manifest to appear the way we remember them best, especially if they feel it's urgent, and want to be sure we know who they are. D tells me, that when C visits her it's like looking in a mirror. So for D, C ages, but for me she did not. I know - makes everything clear as mud, doesn't it?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-24)
Val: I couldn't help but to bite my fingernails while reading your experience...oh, well... They will grow again.

I'm glad no one got hurt and hope the robber gets more than just a slap on the wrist. 😠

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: