You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Voice That Pretended To Be My Father

Real Ghost Stories

Voice That Pretended To Be My Father

 

This encounter got to my nerves. Well not really, like it made me feel uneasy and confused about it.

The event took place Winter 2015/16 April-July (can't remember what year thought, that's why there two there). It was either a Thursday night or a Saturday night. Mind's a bit hazy on it. It was night time around 10pm - 1am. It was a cold New Zealand winter night (1 degrees Celsius - the minus margin) and we had the fire on to warm up the house. The fireplace was recently replaced due to earthquake damage and the new council bylaw had put in new regulations for only certain fireplaces can be put in (log burners, pellet burners only). If caught with smokey chimney, it will be a fine.

Anyways back to the story. I was watching television as I normally do on the night and patting the cat and dog. And, of course, keeping an eye on the fire to see if it needed to be restocked. Around 10pm - 1030pm my father went to bed and the animals followed him. I was only one awake in the lounge, sitting on the couch watching sky tv (cable for those who are from USA/UK).

Around 1020pm I noticed the fire needed to be restocked as it was getting low on wood (we stock it to very top), so I just let it going for another few minutes until the next advert break.

Once the advert break came on, I went to go outside to get the wood from the back door. We keep the wood there as it's easier to bring it inside to the fireplace. As I went outside I heard my dad's voice say my name. I answer back... No reply. So I said again "What, Dad?" No reply. I tried again and I heard him say "What?" I asked if he called my name. He said no and he went back to sleep.

I don't know what it was but it creep me out. It happen as soon I opened back door and picked up wood. Still spooked until this day.

Other hauntings by sheld999

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sheld999, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
sheld999 - I'm sure hearing your voice called by some unknown being would have scared you.

I'm not trying to inflict my experiences on you but I have had the same thing happening to me for years, anytime during the day or night. If my husband happens to be home and I hear his voice calling me, I naturally want to know why he called but when I go to him he looks at me in total amazement. Well actually by this stage I think he's past the amazement stage, he simply shakes his head.

I have also heard other voices calling me and at first used to go searching the house only to find nothing there. So end of long story, I simply ignore these voices now. If they truly need my attention they can find a more obvious way of doing so!

Anyway, don't let it scare you. If it only remains at the voice calling and isn't threatening, I'm sure you're quite safe 😊

Regards, Melda
Flex (9 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-01)
Voice over? You must of turned on descriptive audio somehow! Buggers me to pieces when I do it accidentally. Nice story tho!
sheld999 (14 stories) (74 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
[at] flex yea when I visited the uk, the tv channels were strange especially with the voice over telling what's happening in every scene and describing what the tone of voice was and other stuff I was annoyed by that. Haha glad that you like the story =)
sheld999 (14 stories) (74 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
[at] azraelx unsure, hes not a sleeptalker or never has, thing is I heard it through 5 walls as it was on the other side of house with 1 beedroom/hallway and the lounge and then glass windows for me to hear it through.

[at] Meghana23 no worries

[at] Zaruje yeah i've heard similar to that one I heard is if someone knocks at your door and no one there don't answer (like ones with peep holes)

[at] Argette its very hard to hear someone on the other side of house with all the walls and doors etc. So not really possible for my dad to be sleep talking.

The thing is there was no answer back which is very weird. And the voice sounded very close by too like near distance
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
is it possible that your dad called out your name in his sleep, perhaps, in a dream?
Meghana23 (3 stories) (32 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
Nice story! You heard only one time or many times.

Thanks for sharing.
Flex (9 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-14)
Ya know, we have sky Tv in the UK, it's a British company and we don't call satellite TV 'cable TV' here. US does tho. Anyway apart from my nitpicking (nothing personal) it was an interesting read!
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-14)
Hello sheld999. Nice story. My grandma use to tell stories to us about these voices calling out our names. And she would always remind us, that if we hear someone calling our names even though there's not a soul around, we should never answer back.

Thanks for sharing
Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-14)
If the voice you hear is someone nearby, sleep talking is a very real possibility. I hadn't thought of that.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-03-14)
Argette - that thought went through my head too. As well as wondering if his dad could have been sleep talking.

My kids have heard me calling their names; and I have heard my own voice, so I know for sure this is possible but I wanted to throw in a normal explanation.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-14)
Maybe it was a warning?

Often when I am engrossed in a task or falling asleep, I hear my mother call me, usually in a dramatic whisper. I usually phone her soon after to make sure everything is OK.

But it's always unnerving.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: