You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Kid In The Hall

Real Ghost Stories

Kid In The Hall

 

As I always like to do when I'm stuck in a boring meeting at work, I looked across the courtyard windows to watch what the people in other offices are doing for work and what their setups look like compared to ours. It's a little bit voyeuristic, but passes the time.

The other day I noticed one office that was completely dark, stuffed with boxes and not a living soul inside, which I found odd because that building never struggles to find tenants and all other floors were at the time were packed with workers.

Yet I gravitated towards it because of some movement that looked a bit out of the ordinary. It started as a light that kept flicking on and off, with my eyes going from my boss's desk to that window and back again.

Then out of the corner of my eye I kept seeing movement. And when I glanced back over there the next time I saw something that made a chill go right down my spine. In between all the massive boxes I saw the face of a child staring straight into my eyes. At first thinking it may have been a take your kids to work day in their office, I gave a wave in that direction.

Then I glanced back at my colleagues for a split second, and when I looked back at the child it was gone. I kept my eyes fixated on that window in case the kid came back, but after five minutes nothing. Not a soul in that office and all lights off.

By this point my boss could tell I was distracted, he asked a simple question and I bumbled the answer, still a bit shaken by what I'd seen. Could not focus again for the rest of the day and money was lost. I think it may have been a lost soul, possibly stirred up by a new company moving in or out of the space. Still get a little bit uneasy every time I gaze out at that window.

Other hauntings by sherm784

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sherm784, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

BettinaMarie (14 stories) (80 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-05-24)
Sherm784 I love your stories-and how you carefully share the viewpoint when you saw this. I am sure your connections to your city help you be open to its past.
All I know about your office neighborhood is what I have read in histories of organized Labour. Child Labour under most horrible conditions led to hard-won reforms, but until then, little kids as young as six worked in mines and factories from dusk until dawn. Child Labour was common, everywhere, but especially on the looms in the Garment District. Much like today's unregulated garment industry, conditions for children were often fatal. Gross industrial exposure and accidents, not just fatigue and abuse, were standard. It is probable that the child you saw died in that very spot.
I agree with the other responders who wonder that shifting of tenants might rouse or expose spririts usually hidden. As always, thank you for sharing.

In Peace. Bettina
whitesheet (7 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-21)
i think most of us have more encounters than we realise.

For example, back in the 1980s I was with my boyfriend in the lobby of an expensive hotel in devon, england, where wed gone for a meal... Those were the days.

I saw a girl aged about 14 in a long white dress with a flower in her hair.

As the hotel hosted wedding parties, I assumed she was a bridesmaid from a wedding where the bride had worn an old fashioned wedding dress.

My boyfriend couldn't see her at all

If id have been on my own or hadnt thought to mention it, id have never doubted my original assumption
whitesheet (7 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-21)
just to clarify...

In the cases I have been able to research, it seems that the figures probably do have some connection to the sites... But it can often date to way back when.

Ive always been fascinated by the question as to whether there are haunted sites or sensitive people or both.

Ive been to dozens of historic sites with strong records of haunting and never experienced a thing.

And then one day I'm just somewhere mundane and not thinking about anything in particular... And pow
whitesheet (7 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-21)
hi sherm,
What an interesting story.
I recognise this as the kind of thing that happens to me.
I used to think that I had imagined something... But then I thought of how to test it.
I know that this wasn't the time or place, but if you see something that looks a bit out of place... An example with me was 2 old men in a crowded student bar... Keep your gaze fixed on them and mention them to someone youre with out of the corner of your mouth.
In my experience the figures don't disappear and the other person can tell you if they can see them too.

Whenever I have turned my head to tell someone, theyve always disappeared when I look back
sherm784 (19 stories) (27 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-14)
Thanks to all for the great feedback. I'll be in touch with CinnamonChillz about the podcast, that sounds like a great way for people to share stories in an organic and welcoming environment!

RE; RCRuskin that's a good question. As far as I know it was always an office park, but it was more of a garment and clothing production district after the war.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-23)
Hi, Sherm 784

So, this kid was looking straight at you, he knew you could see him. I think he was showing himself to you. Do you have the ability to see and sense spirits? I see you have posted 17 stories here, I'm not sure if I've read any of them, I'll get to reading them later.
cinnamonchillz (2 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-22)
Hi sherm784. I really enjoyed reading your story. From looking at our posts, it looks like you've had a lot of experiences. Thank you for sharing! I am actually starting a real-life ghost stories podcast, and I was wondering if you would mind if I shared one of your experiences one of my first podcasts? Please email me at ghostlychillspodcast [at] gmail.com if you're interested, and I can talk more with you about it!
Filmbuff1234 (13 stories) (33 posts)
-1
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
It may have been a wandering soul, or a spirit attached to someone, something or the grounds. Did you feel threatened by this spirit, or at peace? If you felt threatened, seek out a psychic or a medium to visit your office.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
Hi, Sherm784.

May I ask what was in the place currently occupied by this office park before it became an office park?

Thanks.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: