You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Where Time Stood Still

Real Ghost Stories

Where Time Stood Still

 

Let me begin by giving you a picturesque vision of the house where it seemed as though time had stood still.

The year was 2005, and we had found a very charming older house in the historic part of downtown Pocatello, Idaho. I was really drawn to this place because of it's 1940's - 1950's feel. It had all the original carpeting and wallpaper from that time period. It even had the original stove (which proved to be more inconvenient when it came to baking, due to the very small oven space).

I recall, while looking through each of the bedrooms, hanging up on the inside of closet doors was an album insert of Perry Como. You know something that a young teenage girl would do if it were her bedroom. It was one of his early albums.

I asked the realtor what the story of the house was, why it seemed as though no one had lived in it since the 1950's. The realtor stated that an elderly woman had lived in it since the 40's, she had raised her daughter there and then passed away a year prior to it being available for rent.

This information intrigued me and I fell in love with the place. We moved right in. I decided to take the "Perry Como" room as my own and left his picture right where it sat.

Immediately after moving in problems with the house started happening right and left. Things like the bathroom flooding, the kitchen flooding, the toilet quit working. We had plumbing companies come in each time and fix whatever the problem was, just to have something else go wrong. The stove even quit working.

On one of the first nights in the house I was laying in my bed, it was late at night with the television buzzing in the background. I had started to nod off, when I was instantly jolted wide awake by something heavy slamming on the floor at the foot of my bed. I didn't know what it was or why it had happened, but I got the feeling that someone did not agree with my falling asleep with the television still on. After that night I made a point to always shut off the tv before I fell asleep.

In between mine and my kids room was a small hallway and I had set a little lamp on a table in it for them in case they had to get up in the middle of the night. On a few occasions I would hear movement outside my door in that hallway and, thinking it was one of the boys getting up to use the restroom, I would lay there looking at my bedroom door, waiting for them to come get me up asking to be tucked in. The door had a small space at the bottom and a skeleton key hole, which allowed me to actually see that someone was infact walking around in the hallway. When I would get up to check on them, they were always sound asleep.

I had made a sort of painting nook down in one of the corners of the unfinished basement. I swear that I was never alone down there. It was so bad that I just quit going down there all together.

I started to notice that I always felt ill, as if I had the flu or something. Oddly enough whenever I got out of the house for a little while, I would feel perfectly fine. I also noticed that my ex-husband and I were always arguing and I never knew why, but we seemed to be so angry with each other for no reason.

We only lived there for probably 3 months, otherwise who knows what more would have happened. I strongly feel that the elderly lady decided that was HER home and was pretty set in her ways and was not very welcoming to outsiders.

Other hauntings by Dar77

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Idaho

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dar77, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dar77 (10 stories) (64 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-10-19)
Cherubim - I am sorry to hear about you and your boyfriend 😕 it is strange why we would be drawn to places such as these, seems I've always been. Thank you for reading and for sharing your experience too.
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-10-18)
Oh! I can really relate to what you're saying. I lived in a very active haunted house for 3 years, it caused so much tension between me and my boyfriend. I would cry for no reason at all there and my energy would be zapped. I'm glad we got out and wish we would have left sooner. 😐 I was drawn to that house too, isn't it strange how we can feel that way about a place like that?
Dar77 (10 stories) (64 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-14)
Silverthane61- you and me both! I feel anything that could cause harm whether it be physical or emotional is not good at all and I'm thankful I didn't stick around to find out just how harmful it could have become. The thing is, I know that this house is still standing and more than likely there are more people who reside there, I hope no harm has or will come to them. Honestly I would like to talk with current and past tenants and see what they would have to say about the house. Thanks for reading and for your input.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-10-14)
I do not have a good feeling about anything that causes an otherwise happy family to begin arguing and having bad feelings for no reason at all. Say what you may, but I am personally glad that you escaped that home and only spent 3 months there!
Dar77 (10 stories) (64 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-10-12)
Kirbyp- hi and thank you for reading. I am glad you enjoyed my story. No doubt the spirit didn't like changes and yes thankfully it wasn't physically harmful. Who knows what would have unfolded had we stayed any longer. I will say, that I felt much better once I moved out of that place!
Kirbyp (1 stories) (15 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-10-11)
Hey Dar77
I really enjoyed your story. Like your title states,"where Time Stood Still". Sounds like whatever was in your house was resisting any changes you tried to make. Glad they weren't too malevolent, but with you and your partner arguing over nothing could have gotten much worse. Thanks for sharing that experience.
Dar77 (10 stories) (64 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-10-11)
Hi again Maria 🤗

Black mold is some bad stuff! Thank goodness you got out of that place. I once had some neighbors that ended up having to move out of their home and leave ALL their belongings behind because of black mold.

You know how old people are set in their ways, I doubt that leaves them in the after life. I'm just glad I don't have to succumb to her ways anymore.

Although my ex husband and I did quarrel a lot in that house, I doubt it was the cause of our undoing. We had problems already and it seemed to feed on it. It was a disaster from the get go and better off that it ended, because since our divorce I found real love and have never been happier. Been with my current husband 14 years now and have known him since we were kids. So in that way it worked out for the best.

Thank you so much for giving your input, it means a lot to me and for your kind wishes. ❤
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-10-10)
Hi Dar77,

I used to experience perpetual flu symptoms in the house I lived in in North Georgia. We discovered we had black mold in the walls. That house was some kind of bad energy nexus in addition to the mold.

You're probably right about the elderly woman. She probably had her own ideas about the way she wanted her house. Intimidation.

I seem to recall from some of your past submissions that you and your husband split up. It makes me sad to think bad energy or intentions might have been the cause.

Best Wishes for the future, Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: