You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghosts That Come And Go

Real Ghost Stories

Ghosts That Come And Go

 

My family and I live in a university campus. My father is a professor and we had to move to a house that's near the campus. The problem is the house. We moved here almost four years ago.

The first creepy happening occurred about a month after we moved here. I am a super bookworm and I was reading in my room and I had a feeling of being watched. I felt like someone was watching me from my doorway. At first I ignored it but it wouldn't go away, I knew I was alone in the room. Finally, I had to look but there was no one there. I didn't go away. I finally had to go downstairs because I was getting really scared.

I wanted to tell my mom but I decided against it. She wouldn't believe me. The feelings of being watched continued. Then there was something even more weird- my door would open on its own.

It would happen a lot and most of the time there was no wind. It happened at night too and that is when I would get really freaked out, I just pulled the covers over my head and tried to sleep. The weirdest thing is that it would happen only to my bedroom door, no other door in the house. It was driving me insane, but there was nothing I could do about it. I even considered trying to talk to whatever was causing it but I didn't have the courage.

Then, three months after our arrival things started disappearing. I would lose things like hairpins, the remote and pencils. Anyone can lose track of stuff like that but I was sure I had left them in a table or my bed. And then I would go off looking for them only to find them where I left them five minutes later.

It continued until the summer when my cousin, Maria, came to visit me. We get along really well and I told her everything that had happened. She said she thought it was ghosts. It was reasonable, I had thought of that but I really wanted to make sure I wasn't letting my imagination take over, my parents are so scientific and they are always saying to find a logical explanation before considering to the paranormal; they say that to my aunt who is a great believer in this things. I told Maria that and the ghosts must have heard-that night I was convinced my imagination had nothing to do with it.

Maria and I were talking in my room before we went to bed. And then the door started to open, I was used to that. I got up to close it and just as I was reaching for the knob it closed again, on its own.

Maria freaked out but I decided to stay calm and I assured her it was only the wind, but there was no wind. I did calm her down. I think the ghosts got mad because that night I was awakened by Maria's screams. She had a nightmare. She dreamt that someone was murdering her in my room. Then I really started getting scared but I didn't show it. There were no more disturbances that night.

After that it stopped for two years. I thought they were gone, that they had given up trying to scare me. But now they're back or it's back. And this time I tried to stay calm to make them go away again but it is not working.

It started to come back in June a week before summer vacation. I was at the computer and I felt like someone was touching my hair. I looked behind me and there was no one. Sometimes I feel a hand in my shoulder or my arm.

A week ago my little sister was playing with her stuffed animals in her room. I was baby sitting her because my parents were out visiting some friends. She put one stuffed animal on a chair, the stuffed animal fell off, but it landed about three feet away from the chair. I picked it up and put it back, it was thrown again. This time harder, I picked it up and placed it on the bed. I was getting really scared, this had never happened before, but I said nothing.

My little sister was curious to find out if this would happen again so she put it on the chair again, but nothing happened. Instead, a doll fell from a shelf. We ran out of the room and we stayed outside playing with a ball until my parents came home. That was about two o'clock and my parents didn't come back until five.

I want to tell my parents but they wouldn't believe me. My dad is a mathematician and my mother is a chemist they base everything on science. If I told them they'd probably send me to a psychologist. My sister is only four years old, she is amused by it. I don't think she realizes how weird it is.

This stuff has continued and I feel watched sometimes. I want to get rid of them. Can anyone help me?

Other hauntings by mlc13

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mlc13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Morticia (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Your position is highly advantageous for a potential student of parapsychology - which is a bona fide science! I hope you overcome any fear (which you seem to be handling exceptionally well by the way) and take this gift horse for what it is - the chance to learn all you can & become a teacher yourself someday if you wish. Your parents could assist you with experiments - try setting up a camera or recording EVP's - they can't deny that can they - it's totally scientific!

Comments you receive regarding religion (or that of your parents) have no place here - religion is an organised, human invention designed to control and instill fear particularly about the "supernatural" - a good thing to remember is that there is only the NATURAL and that includes all things - even what we don't yet understand, so science very much has a place in this too, it's just lagging behind what some of us already KNOW. Spirituality, on the other hand is a more natural inclination for independent thinkers. Stick with your Aunt for support and I wish you all the best.:)

Blessed be.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
Hi mlc13. I know you said that these things couldn't be poltergeist activity since it started when you were 9, but I think 9 year olds nowadays are more emotional like a teenager so it is possible. However, it is possible that it is something in your home but it appears to me that the only time things happen it is always and only to you and no one else in the home. Unless you are just more aware then everyone else in the home, especially if you say your parents do not believe in the paranormal. I was lucky, my parents believed me even though nothing ever really happened to them. You have received a lot of good advise from the other posters and I'm sure you will continue to receive some good advise on what to do or what it could be. The only thing I can add is to very nicely, but firmly, ask the 'entity' to please leave your door alone and stop trying to scare you and to please leave. Usually that works. Don't speak hateful or be TOO demanding or what you say could backfire on you and it could get worse or malevolent. I think if it were anything evil it would have done something bad by now. If it has been going on for four years and started when you were nine, I would say it more than likely is NOT a poltergeist. Besides, poltergeists like to throw things and be more noisy. Although, poltergeist activity DOES stop and then return months or years later. I can't find any other reason why it would just stop for two years and then come back. Keep us updated. Where you emotional about the move when you first came to the house and then it subsided so the paranormal activity stopped? And then maybe when you reached puberty your emotions started it up again? Who really knows the true reasons behind these things. All you can do is experiment with it and learn from it.

SHELBY
❤ 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
thanks for sharring this very interesting story with us. I found it very interesting. It is hard to say why these things were only attracted to you. It might be because you are a sencitive. Thanks for sharring your story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
I would tell them what is going on, but use a more scientific approach. Explain how the toy was sitting on the chair, how far back or if it was at the edge. Ask as to what can cause a door to open by itself, after being properly closed. If you show that you exhausted what possibilities you can come up with, see if they try to come up with some thing. Then again, you may trigger some thing that has happened to them that they find odd while living there.
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
I believe you, and I do think that your parents can be a little more open minded at least for your sake
But my parents do that too. I wish I could tell them but it doesn't work. But what I have to tell you might or may not work. You could bring holly water and resite some prayers from the bible, or PRay, or you will have to have enough courage to not be scared and tell it with force to go away and leave you alone. I don't have anything else to tell you but those 3.

Katona1700s ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
Excuse me, mlc13. Demonsora - some of that was uncalled for. You made some pretty harsh statements.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
I would have to agree with the teen or pubescent deal when it comes to poltergeist activity but if you really think that is not the case then you need to do a little investigating. I'm assuming a lock is out of the question being most parents don't allow this in case of fire or if a child got sick through the night or fell etc. You could experiment with something like a paper weight that would stop a draft from opening the door but would not stop a person from opening it. It would be interesting to see if it was moved in the morning and the door opened. Also the suggestion of keeping a digital camera handy incase it opens when you are in there is a good idea too. Should this happen just start snapping pics in that direction. You sound like a very stable young person who is not easily intimidated which is good. I wish you had more parental support but you can find that here on this site without judgment. There are many things that happen in life that have no scientific explanation and this might be one of them.
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Hey mlc13 and thanks for sharing your story with us!

I won't be saying much because Bellissima, JamesRobiscoe and DemonSora said so much and with such understanding that there is nothing left for me to say! So I will just say that I agree with all of the people here and I hope nothing else happens to you. Please keep us updated!

Biemaster
DemonSora (69 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Dear mlc13,

I hate people that only think about science. Your parents should also think about the things in life, not only science. The paranormal is real. Ask your parents if they can make this flashlight that can see demons and ghost and other paranormal beings. I had a feeling that someone is watching me all the time in my room, and that someone is playing with my hair. And some kind of thing climbing on my shoulder. I hate it when Scientist insult the paranormal cause I'm in love with the paranormal, I think I just saw something in my cousins room! Bye

God Bless
Dory

P.S. I hope your parents believe in God, if they don't, they are a disgrace to the world. When they die and know about this, they will regret of what they said to people's beliefs. Logical explanition, ptf, pathetic. You should really tell this to your parents, and before they say anything, show them this website and your story, and show them the coments please. I'm Catholic, but I like demons too.
mlc13 (7 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Also, my other cousins came to visit and they have a puppy named cinammon. She is acting a little weird. When she came into the house yesterday she started trembling. ANd when they put her in my room she wouldn't stop barking and scratching the door desesperately. In the two years weird stuff stopped happening she never did that. Today I am here in the computer room, which is also my sister's room and the dog has come in here frantic barking at me. She looks straight at me and barks and whimpers, like if she were telling me or something else to get out. That means there is something in here. I'm going to try talking to it and see what happens.
mlc13 (7 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
The problem is not the hinges, because when evrything stopped my door didn't open on it's own anymore. And no, it's not my teen enrgy or whatever because when it started I was nine yeyars old.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Try to debunk every phenomenon. Change your bedroom door hinges and fastener, or better yet, ask your father or mother to do it. If it still opens on its own, you have better scientific evidence. Get a camera and snap pictures.
Glad you told your friend Maria. Keeping things to yourself often emboldens an entity into having you all to itself. Speaking out, even if most people don't believe you, let's an entity know it doesn't have the final power over you or your actions.
Don't hesitate to say out loud, "Look, you. If you have something to say, tell us or show us or write it down. Otherwise, leave us alone in the name of the Holy Trinity..."
Spirits have varying degrees of power, but they do not rule over us at the end of the day.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Hi mlc13.It's possible these things are happening because of your own energies. It sounds like you're a teenager so you probably have a lot of changes taking place in your hormones and body chemistry. Spirits would be attracted by all of this energy, using your energy as fuel so they can do things like close the door and take your items. I think it sounds pretty likely since these things aren't happening to anyone else in your family, and what did happen with your sister's dolls happened while you were present. You haven't described anything threatening, so, even though it's pretty scary I don't think you should worry. I can't think of any reason that the activity stopped for two years and then restarted.That's puzzling.It's too bad you don't feel like you can talk to your parents but I'm sure Maria and your Aunt would be happy to offer support. Since your Aunt is interested in the topic maybe she can help you understand and deal with things. Thanks for sharing your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: