You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Abandoned Graveyard

Real Ghost Stories

Abandoned Graveyard

 

Have you ever been to one of those graveyards that are so far back up in the country where nobody ever goes anymore? Well not far from where I grew up there was this old graveyard. We had to go up a one-lane dirt road surrounded by woods on both sides for about two miles. We had to drive in the middle of the road because on both sides there were deep ditches. Luckily this night was a full moon. I don't think just headlights would have been enough to see the way.

My sister and my cousin got out of the car first; I was almost to scared to get out. But it was either go with them or sit in the car by myself until they got back. Of course there was no way I would do that. My sister wanted to go in the graveyard to look at names on headstones, that was the whole reason for going up there. Why they chose nighttime to explore is beyond me. Those two were always adventurous; I was the little sister I always wanted to tag along.

We finally got up to the graveyard; there was a big iron gate that separated the graveyard from the woods. Also there were those big weeping willow trees blowing in the breeze. Some of the branches were low enough to scrape nearby headstones. If seeing that in the middle of the night wasn't scary enough. We climbed over that iron gate, we heard soft music playing. You've got to remember where we were and with nobody around for miles. That didn't stop them from wanting to look at names on headstones.

With the moon shining it made everything look eerie. My sister pointed at a headstone, there was a small child peeking around a headstone. It was there one minute, gone the next. I was certainly ready to leave when I saw that. It spooked my sister so bad, she was ready to go to.

As we were walking away the soft music started playing again. We broke into a run, jumped over the iron gate. You can picture us running like scared rabbits. We certainly got out of there.

The next day dad heard us talking about it; he said he had heard the same story from other people. Needless to say we haven't been back to that graveyard at night.

Other hauntings by princess2

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, princess2, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-02)
[at] Nysa: thanks for finding this story and thus drawing my attention to it. This one is being bundled up and shipped to my favorites. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to mention it in my story, but there is a small abandoned graveyard on my farm. Only six or seven graves, but completely overgrown and forgotten about. It's peaceful though, not creepy, and I go there sometimes to read or think. I concur with Nysa's take on the story as well. Thanks for posting it!

--Mountaineer
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-02)
I am glad I found this story. It was very well told without sounding needlessly dramatized. I really wonder about that music, so many possibilities. One of my favorite places used to be a cemetery like that, it even has a beautiful stone altar. But the people who live on the road it is off of decided to clean it up & got a bit over zealous. They took out all of the trees within 50 yards of the cemetery & left nothing but grass growing there. Now it has lost it's contemplative comfortable mood.
girlheldtightdown201 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-19)
there is lots of cemetarys like that here in this part of WV. But I have not went to one at night or experienced anything at one, hope I never will, that sounds spooky. 😐
dickron (3 stories) (21 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
that was awesome... I would rather sleep in the cemetery to witness all the mysteries...

Your lucky to have feet and run for your life! 😆
Ginkyofu13 (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-24)
Wow, that is one scary graveyard, it shouldn't be abandon, it should be reserve. Man you are one lucky girl.
ghosthuntermk2 (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-21)
great story I find thi intesting very as a similar thig happened to my best friend
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-17)
It is kind of like that little brain teaser about "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear..."
But, you pointed out one very important thing (as it pertains to the sighting of the little girl peeking out behind the stone). You said that the headlights would not have been bright enough, and you needed the assistance of the moon to light the area.
Optical illusion, brought on by inadequate lighting.
However, the music is interesting. Directionally speaking, could you tell where it was coming from? Ever go back in the daytime to see if the music was still playing? It stopped for a while and then came back on. Chances are, it might play again.
Thank you.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-17)
I advise not to go to graveyards at night. For ghostes, A night grave yard day is like a normal day for us. They always around espessaly at night.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-17)
I never gone to graveyard at night only day even thought I go in crowville Louisiana where my family burid and yes I do talk to my dad there even now my grandpa buried since 2004 my uncle david died new born burid there.
ZUKISMOM (5 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
I have gone to the graveyard where my dad, grandmother and uncle are all buried close together. I sometimes to talk to them and let them know I miss them a lot. I was talking one day to my dads head stone and when I asked him a question a really strong wind came up out of no where and was blowing really hard, I smiled and told him I understood and I loved him to. Graveyards are the place to be if you want to communicate with the departed. Just becareful you aren't communicating with someone or something you don't know anything about.
God Bless
Zukismom
flamewithin (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
very interresting, the child who was looking was wondering who was there since no one probaly comes there. Was the music you heard scary or mellow? I too would find out other stories of people that went and had simular exsperenses
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
surya: thank you... I didn't know quite how to phrase how I feel about cemeteries at night. I don't find them creepy. I find the way some people (and not all) treat them "creepy" and disrespectful.

I've encounter poor treatment of a family plot in Kentucky. The plots were located up in the hills... No gate or real "entrance". Some dumb teenagers decided to get nice and drunk and then see if they could contact spirits. That is the kind of "trouble" I was refering to.

Once again: I'm aware NOT everyone is so rude. Some are very kind and respectful
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
Ther is absolutely nothing creepy about a graveyard providing you don't distrub anything.
Miss_laura (9 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
For me graveyards are very peaceful I always feel at home. I often go there just to think. Sometimes I see spirits other times I feel them. I often feel sad that so many people lose their lifes and yet happy that so many sick people have found there peace. Graveyards are a beautifully spiritual place. Although I have found spots that arn't so peaceful.
Blondie95 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
I personally hate going to graveyards whether it's in the day or night because they just creep me out!
My nan used to get me to go with her to graveyards and I remeber when ever my nan used to say "hi" to someone walking past I would say to her " nan, who were you talking to, there was no-one there"...of course, it was only a joke but I had to make myself laugh up there because it was so depressing being in a graveyard!
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
princess2 -
Thanks for the story - short but... Spine tingling! That experience would make me want to go back! 😆
lovedaniel (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
I enjoyed your story sounds spooky and fun...
I have been in the cemetery at night a lot of times but I have not seen or felt anything... Oh well I hope too one day!
😁
IfriendJinx (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
That's really weird.
I would have been terrified if soft music started playing out of no where.
I was going to say was it like a person who takes care of the graveyard?
But I'm guessing not.
And I've done that grave yard at night too cause I have always wanted to see the supernatural at work, But my friends and family are too scared and I don't want to do it by myself, But I did and it was just like yours but I heard whispers, and thought it was bogans so I left not looking back 😨
blank (8 stories) (110 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
Quite spooky experience you guys had. If it was me I would have been scared too, but my curiosity would build so much to know what it is all about. A suggestion try finding the story behind it from some elders nearby and ask people who have witnessed the same thing too. And heyy do find out if any keepers stay by the graveyard, if yes it would be just a misconception that had been passing through years after years.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-14)
wow! That is certainly a spooky story. Ghost stories that involve children really get to me. I get so spooked. I sure it is a nice memory to have though right ❤ Jas
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-14)
mmmm I don't understand why people go to graveyards at night. While I get the theory "more likely to see a spirit" or "its quieter at night", it just doesn't sit right with me. Its like people are looking for "trouble" I don't know... Thats just me.

Also, I have family in Kentucky that is buried in some real country side. Similar to what you and your sister drove though. Narrow lanes... Dirt roads. Most of them are buried in family plots that are quite un-nerving to get to. These family plots don't even have signs like a cemetery gate would. Just word of mouth passed down to generation on how to get there. Its uneasy driving around that stuff during the day...I'd hate to attempt it at night.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: