You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Soldier's Home

Real Ghost Stories

Soldier's Home

 

My husband and I lived on Fort Benning from September 1999 until September 2002. During that time period there I had several strange experiences in both of the houses we lived in, and most of the time I was the one at home since we had 2 small children. We moved across post to a 1 level home in the Custer Terrace neighborhood in October of 2000. Our new house was on Arrowhead Road, we really loved living there. Not long after we moved in I began to notice a few strange happenings here and there like things getting misplaced.

My son had a toy airplane that took batteries and it came on by itself so I chalked it up to something going wrong with the batteries, the TV turned off on it's own a couple of times, and one day the clothes-dryer door popped open on it's own. These didn't really scare me they were just kind of annoying. When I would tell my husband about it he always tried to rationalize what I had experienced. Finally I just started to keep things to myself. I wondered if anything would happen where he would be left scratching his head trying to figure out why it had happened. Well, one morning in early May of 2002 my husband was home to experience an incident with me. I

Remember I was trying to go back to sleep when I heard our front screen door creak open and then the front door opened. I rolled over expecting to see my husband coming in from p.t., and instead he was lying in the bed next to me. I had forgotten he had the day off, so he wouldn't have to go to p.t. That morning. He was wide eyed laying there stiff as board, and all he could do was whisper "what's happening"? I said "I told you strange things happen in the house". Then we both heard the door close, the chain latch, and then the footsteps started down the hall. Combat boots on real hardwood floors make a very distinct heavy sound. The footsteps came all the way down the hall and stopped at our bedroom door, and that was it. We didn't hear anything else. We both lay there for a good 15 minutes or so before he got up to go take a look around the house just to make sure someone hadn't gotten it. He never found anything!

I don't think I've ever seen him as scared as he was that morning. He doesn't even like to talk about it to this day. It made a believer out of him, and he no longer doubts anything out of the ordinary that happens.

Other hauntings by deannah

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, deannah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
oh wow! Great story and I must say you are very brave. I think the ghost knew that's all the proof he needed to not doubt you anymore. Lol

Please keep us posted if anything else happens.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
wow creepy story!
At least who ever it was locked the door behind it
rhondaskppr (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-28)
Thanks for your comment... And I also reread your story... It is funny when our Soldiers are so big and bad but when something weird happens its like their little boys hanging on mommy again...lol
rhondaskppr (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-26)
I am married to a soldier and live in Fort Goron G.A. I believe most military base homes have something else there. All my army wife friends have seen or heard something. I hate to move to different bases because I never know what's going to start happening...
Soldier1 (5 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-17)
I have a story you should read entitled "Haunted Benning". I live in Bouton Heights and there is just too many strange happenings.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-24)
HAHA! I love hearing stories about the non-believers becoming believers! Finally, he won't look at you like you are crazy anymore! Good story and thanks for sharing. ❤
Jasmin
deannah (12 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-11)
Over the years I've done a little research here and there and I agree with you whitebuffalo about it being a residual type haunting. I'd heard the footsteps before but not the whole coming home opening the door. I also think there were "others" in the house as well by some of the things that happened, but those are separate stories. Fort Benning was a VERY active place. 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
TheLightBeforeDawn, I too lived on a base, not in the capacity of most women, either. I have seen this from both sides, and that is why I am tossed as to who really has to be the strongest. It COULD grow into a lively debate, though 😆 with me taking BOTH sides! It was not all that long ago that I, too was serving.

I would not think that this entity is trying to frighten anyone. It really sounds as if he/she is going about his/her daily routine after post. To me this feels like a residual experience, the one with the footsteps in it.
It never ceased (ceases) to amaze me that those of us who have looked the enemy dead in the eye still (excuse the pun, please) get the goose flesh when around the fleshless. 😉 It is just refreshing to know that I was not the only one...
Thank you!
TheLightBeforeDawn (5 stories) (41 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
whitebuffalo, I live on a military base. I would think that the spouses have to be stronger. They have to expect, every day that their spouse is away that they might not come back. 😢 Poor things, having to sit at home and worry all the time.

Maybe that's why the spirit/ghost/whateveritis kept coming back, it wanted her to be scared.
Just an idea.

Goddess Bless
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
I'm with you Bri. No way in the world I am walking around with a sprig of lavender just hoping I am going to encounter a Spirit instead of the living. And I am with shadowman. Speaking from experience, I do not know who is the stronger of the two, the military personnel, or the spouse of that same person. Wow.
Thank you.
shadowman (17 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
haha I like your story relly good and god bless army wives are just as brave as us soldiers
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
That is crepy. I'd be at the ready with gun in hand if I thought an intruder was in my house - esp with my wife and two small children there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: