You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Soldier On His Hearse

Real Ghost Stories

The Soldier On His Hearse

 

About two and a half weeks ago I got horrible news. One of my high school friends died at the age of 23 in Afganistan. He was like a brother to me for years. We grew up in a small town so we knew each other very well. I told my mother who knew him as well and she came straight home from work and we spent a little time grieving together.

After 2 days of sulking about my loss I realized that it isn't what he would have wanted. He would have wanted me to remember all the good times we had together. So I started remembering our choir days and his trickster nature and I started to feel better.

A week later I came down with a horrible flu. I lost my voice, couldn't eat and I was achey all over. That night I dreamed about my friend. When we were young he would laugh at me when I got sick enough to lose my voice. He would make it up to me later but he would laugh. In my dream he was wearing his uniform and I told him I couldn't talk in ASL (American Sign Language which I've been studying). He laughed and gave me a hug. He told me that I'd be better before the funeral. After two days I got my voice back but I was still coughing and sneezing constantly.

The funeral was two weeks after his death. My parents and husband went to be there with me and grieve the loss of a great man. Everyone was wating for the funeral to begin and I spotted some high school friends. I had a better spot to see the procession and get into the service quickly. I invited them over and we sat in silence waiting for the body of our friend to arrive.

It seemed like years passed but the hearse finally pulled into the gates of the veteran's graveyard. I watched it carefully and finally realized that I saw someone sitting on top of the vehicle. As it drew closer I saw that it was a man dressed in an army uniform sitting cross-legged over the coffin. At first I was a little upset that someone would disrespect my friend like that, but then I realized that no one else saw him.

The hearse got closer and I looked at the man's face. Tears rolled out of my eyes as I recognized him. My friend was sitting on top of the hearse that was carrying his body. They took the casket out and he disappeared from the roof of the hearse and appeared on the top of the casket.

After his body entered the building I didn't see his spirit again but I know he was there and trying to comfort his friends and family.

Other hauntings by GypsysHeart

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GypsysHeart, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GypsysHeart (9 stories) (39 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-22)
No, I don't think it's the same person. My friend was killed in April. I'm sorry to hear about your husband.
camswidow (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-19)
ok well let's hope your best friend was not my husband, he also was KIA in afgahn, back in jan. And I have honestly thought I was going crazy seeing him in the places I never expected him to be. It has been 8 months to long, and with out fail he visits our almost 2 year old son nightly, I on the other hand can not deal with it and cry like a baby. HOOAH prayers and thoughts from one military family to another.
GypsysHeart (9 stories) (39 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
He was DeviousAngel. Thank you for being so kind. 😊 I think telling the story here and all of your kind words, all of you, have helped my grieving proscess move faster. Thanks to all of you.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
As I said, statement retracted. 😊

Again, just wanted to emphasize... Very very sorry for yours and his other friends'/family's loss. He sounds like an excellent person.
GypsysHeart (9 stories) (39 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
Yes, Mintyleaf. That's him. His funeral was highly public. There were no less than 4 reports on the news and articles in the newspapers with pictures from the funeral.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
Minty, that might be a conversation best kept to email for the sake of maintaining a level of privacy/respect for the family... I suppose unless they want their loved one's passing to be a public ordeal in which case I retract my statement. I know of at least two other Californians who were KIA while on deployment in Iraq due to IEDs, one of which was a good friend of my fiance's.
Mintyleaf (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
Hi there! First I want to say I'm very sorry for your loss, I actually cried. I have a question it says your from California just like me but was the soldiers name Dennis by any chance? Please reply. Is he also from redding?
GypsysHeart (9 stories) (39 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
You have no idea dragonwalker. He used to get this grin when he was up to something. He did it so often that his commanding officer mentioned it at his funeral. It made me laugh.
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
Your friend sounds like he was the same in spirit as he was in body - ornery with a good sense of humor!*hugs* May your good memories never run dry!
GypsysHeart (9 stories) (39 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
guyinsane2008: He died very suddenly. His squad was attacked with IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devises). He probubly was a bit confused to see all of his loved ones.

Cosmogal926: I feel blessed to have seen him. It really helped me know he would be okay.

Taz890: I agree and thank you. Though I'm sad I will not see him again in this life, I WILL see him again either in the afterlife or in the next life.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
gypsyheart agree with cosmogal he was reaching out to you and wanted to show that even though he had passed he was still going to play pranks and that would have been a biggy 😊

Hope his family and you feel better soon
Carl
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
Wow this is an amazing story GypsyHeart. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. You mentioned that he was a trickster and always joking around, so sitting on top of his casket would probably be something he'd do. I believe you were blessed to see him do that. Going in my fav's. Take care 😊
guyinsane2008 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
first of all as those before stated - I'm sorry for your loss... Its never easy.

I can't help but wonder that he is following his body because he's confused. Maybe his death was untimely or it happened too quickly for him to realize what happened. Probably he is still there...
GypsysHeart (9 stories) (39 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
Thank you, everyone for your words of comfort. I don't feel bad for myself for him being gone. I'm more worried about his family.

My friend was the type of person who would not only be late to his own funeral but ride on top of the hearse. I remember one time in choir he tackled the director into a drum set. Lol

Bacchaegrl: I know he's moved on and I'm glad he's at rest.

Aiafaith1: No one else noticed him that I've heard but I've been able to see and communicate with spirits since I was a very little girl.

DeviousAngel: Your fiance will be in my thoughts. I know how hard it must be to constantly worry about him and I know reading my story couldn't have been easy for you. I hope he stays safe and unharmed through the rest of his deployment.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
Excellent story. I'm very sorry for your loss. My fiance is in the military and has been to Iraq, so I've heard some of the stories about how terrible it got for our service members over there. I would be in pieces if anything ever happened to my man.

I'm glad that you were able to see him again and that he comforted you the way he did. I hope he has moved on now.
aiafaith1 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
So sorry for your loss. I agree with bacchaegrl, a funny place to be, on top of the hearse, lol. So no one else saw him?
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-24)
I'm really sorry for your loss, but this story made me smile. What a rather funny place to be during a funeral, right on top of the hearse. Good title of the story too, just thought I'd mention that. Did anyone else say they saw anything unusual? If not, how special that he just appeared to you. I'm also glad that you never saw him again. He was just there when he was needed and he seems to have moved on. Very nice story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: