You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Farm In Zeerust

Real Ghost Stories

The Farm In Zeerust

 

When we were younger, I am guessing around 13, my aunt and uncle dragged my sister, then 11, and I to my uncle's family farm over a school holiday. My cousin and I were born 13 days apart, partners in crime our entire lives. My uncle's father had died a few years prior to this, and his mother was living there alone. She is 94 years old now and still going strong. At that point she was well into her 70's, she still cooked large meals, killed wayward snakes that slipped into her house, churned her own butter and even made her own soap.

Whilst visiting on the farm, we "invented" a game where we would all walk in a straight line (at this point more family had arrived and we were 6 kids: 3 boys and 3 girls) and as you walk, everyone slips away from the leader and goes to hide. Once the leader realizes they are alone, he/she then starts searching for the others. Basically turning into a game of hide and seek then. First one found is the leader for the next round. My cousin, being the mastermind behind this game, dubbed it "Follow the weasel". It was the most fun to be had on a farm, being city kids, when we weren't climbing trees and reading books (at that point in my life I was addicted to Dean Koontz books, my favorite being Watchers).

One morning my cousin was in the bathroom and the next moment she started screaming and she came bolting down the passageway. She said she had been bent over the basin, brushing her teeth, and she looked at the space between her feet, and there she saw her grandfather's shoes. She whirled around and nothing was there. She freaked out and bolted down the passage. Her gran told her that she frequently saw a shadow pass doorways when she was alone and she believed it really was her grandfather. My cousin kept seeing the shoes every so often the week we were there, but I never even felt anything in that house. I'm guessing he was just checking on his family.

Other hauntings by triden07

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, triden07, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TracyBritt2012 (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-21)
Watchers is great but Twilight Eyes is my favorite. I love reading your stories.
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-05)
Fergie
They usually host the Groot/Klein Mariko Mampoer feeste there. A lot of drunk farmers then, I promise you. We were there one year and saw a guy fall right into the trees after his parachute didn't open. Oddly enough, he emerged from the trees limping a bit and missing a shoe, but other than that, perfectly fine.
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-05)
Fergie
Best way to think of Zeerust would be Pilgrim's Rest, or Warmbad, or Naboomspruit, lekker plattelands hehe
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-05)
Hi triden, I have been wracking my brain, trying to remember if I have ever been in Zeerust. I was trying to get a mental picture, for the 'setting' of your account! Nope! No use! 😕

Isn't it strange; some people in the family get 'visited' in a house, while others 'feel' nothing at all! That has happened to me too.

Thanks for sharing.
milenko_necromancer (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-03)
great story and thanks for telling the world. I used to play a game with a lot of my friends that we called "manhunt". You played it at night. It's pretty much like a game of hide-and-seek, but you play it at night (there are a lot of mountains and forests around here that provide a lot of easy places to hid e if you own any camouflage or dark clothing). There is always a predetermined "base".The objective was for the person who was "it" to find all the people hiding and tag them before they ran back to base. Again, first person found was "it" during the next game. This story reminded me of those happy times.

Thanks again,
~Milenko_Necromancer
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-03)
I think that is wonderful how your grandma is such a strong person! And still going strong...great! I also liked the game you kids use to play..."follow the weasel"...I had to laugh. I played a lot of hide and seek in my days, but nothing like that. The grandfather, was he the husband of the grandmother you speak of? If so, I am quite certain he is checking on the old homestead and probably patiently waiting to be reunited with his love.

What a great story. Loved it. Zeta.
angel69 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-02)
That was a good storie thanks for sharing:) I always enjoy reading about things you have experienced keep us up to date please much love

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: