You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Little Things In The Office

Real Ghost Stories

Little Things In The Office

 

Just as clarification, this is not an unknown entity wreaking havoc in my office, this is Charlie being mischievous when he seems to get bored. I do feel that I should give a little background on my work environment.

I work in an office building with three offices, and two open areas. When you enter through the front door, you have the kitchen part to your right, this is also where the clocking machines are kept. On your left is a wall, behind it is the tool store room. As you exit the passage you enter the first open area. This is where the meetings are held. To your right is the toilets (unisex I might add). To your left is my office, the General Manager's office and then the Logistics Manager's office. This leads into the second open space where our weighbridge is located. From where my desk is situated, I look into the back part of the first open space, and have a clear view of the table where coffee is made. I can also see to the weighbridge area.

It just so happens that, a year or so before I started working here, one of the General workers was caught between a skip and the wall when they were moving the skip, and he was crushed to death. As he was African, his family had requested to come to the site where he died, with incense and flowers, and they prayed that his soul find rest. Since there are so many African cultures, they all handle death, be it natural or accidental, in different manners, and it is only respectful to allow them their customs when such tragedies occur. In September this year one of my ladies in the office passed away after going to see a traditional healer, and her family took much the same approach, attempting to safeguard the building from her spirit returning. She had an exceptionally sweet disposition and it was really tragic that we lost her.

Ok, that is just for interest sake. Keep in mind that Charlie follows me basically everywhere, except anywhere that I need to be private. Since I have been made aware of Charlie's presence, I have noticed little things in the office. The kettle gets flipped on and off very quickly. It has a distinct click as it is switched on or off, and since I face the table, I don't miss that sound when it happens. It never scares me though, and it generally only happens when the men are outside in the yard.

Last Friday was an exceptionally boring day for me at work, and Charlie must have felt the same way. I was sitting behind my desk, leaning back in my chair and I heard my drawer open. So I looked at it and it slowly crept open, about half way. I actually got a mental image of Charlie hitting the front of the drawer with his fingertips and the drawer slammed shut. This made me giggle. I told him I knew how he felt and could feel him smile.

Then today, as I was sitting reading ghost stories, the paperwork on my filing cabinet moved. I heard this, did not see it, and as I looked over to where the pile is I saw the stack of unfolded filing boxes slide to the left. Sceptics could argue that it might be the wind. I have no window in my office; in fact, the only place where a breeze could enter the building is from the front door, very unlikely that the wind could blow papers from through a concrete wall. We work in a very dangerous part of this town, gang and taxi violence is rife here, so we are very fixated on security.

The only thing that I find unsettling at times is that, I am usually alone in the office for half an hour to an hour in the morning, and on many an occasion I have been in the toilet, and the window will suddenly sound like someone hit it. This is the only window in the entire building that can open. Now, I'm still thinking it could most likely just be Charlie, getting up to "Bart Simpson" type mischief, I'm hoping something else does not emerge here though.

Other hauntings by triden07

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, triden07, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-10)
Fergie/Shlain
As strange as it sounds, even when I know Charlie is with me, I hate going into this building, especially that toilet, when I'm here alone. And I don't EVER wander the yard. When I need to go into the warehouse area to speak to someone, I go there, talk, and get the heck away from there. In all honesty, with African superstitions and beliefs in regards to the tokolosh etc, I really tend to believe workers here.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Sorry Shlain, that name somewhat creeps me out too. But I have seen the havoc, supposedly caused by one of these creatures. (See my "A Gorilla?")

The belief in these creatures, is still pretty strong, amongst a lot of our Native population... Sometimes the affects 'spills over' onto Caucasian residents too. 😕
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-06)
Omg, Fergie, don't even say that name! I'm caucasian, but it creeps me out 😨
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-06)
Humm, triden were you thinking a returning spirit of an African worker, or a tokolosh? The way you phrased that last paragraph... It seems something was on your mind!? 😕
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-03)
Christine_Pandora
I have tried to reason this out as well. There are no trees, nothing in front of this window that could touch it in a natural manner. It is an industrial area, which rules out naughty kids. The window is about 10 feet from where the worker was crushed to death, and all the staff here say they think this place is cursed.
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-03)
Have you checked the window to see what else could have made the noise?
If there was no solid cause like a trees, wind, naughty kids throwing rocks or sand balls then maybe it could just be the building creaking?
I've heard windows make a similar noise to what it sounds like you're explaining however I am NOT doubting you as I've read your stories and love them 😁

If it is indeed unexplained then I highly doubt it to be Charlie as he still seems to be the same at your office that he is at your home so why would he bang on the window now?
I agree with Shlain, it could be the spirit of those who have passed in and around the office...
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-03)
AToastToGhosts
I'd love to hear about Frances 😉 I'm guessing she may have things in common with my ghosties
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-03)
AToastToGhosts; Unexplained
I think the biggest blessing in my life is the fact that two of the three ghosts that inhabit my house, are people that I love. They aren't strangers. Even though my Gran died when my mom was only 6, I have always loved her. And Charlie, he was the one guy I had a crush on for as long as I knew him, I loved him very much, and he became my best friend at a time in my life when I really needed someone to lean on.

That is why I have no doubt about the truth in Tim's words. Charlie still does things like he did when he was alive. HE would never, ever, intrude on anyone's personal space, he had way too much respect for people to do that. I'm convinced that is why my gran is so prominent for me in those instances. She steps in for comfort where Charlie does not feel comfortable.
AToastToGhosts (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
I have a resident ghost in my house. I would want her to respect my privacy, but I think it's an "open door" policy with her. The window thing would disturb me. I don't think it's Charlie, but you could ask him. Given your neighborhood, I agree with Shlain. Maybe Charlie could shed light on the window tapping.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
Nice story and it's good that you don't freak out about paranormal experiences. Once they know that you are aware of them, quite often they seem to relax too. Talking to them helps and you've done that. Charlie seems pretty cool. It's nice to have a companion on the other side. He seems quite playful and not malevolent. 😁
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
yellowrose1
It can be an extremely unnerving thing to see a ghost for the first time. When Tim told me I had inadvertently taken a picture of the little boy ghost in the storeroom in my house, I was so freaked out I could not look at it until the next morning.
But now i'm ok with him being there.
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
Shlain
I'm also inclined to think the window isn't Charlie. Playing in my office is def him. And the kettle too, but the window is a bit too forward.
yellowrose1 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
i had this experience at my house (we're moved so its a different house from this one) when we just arrived so it was our first night in my bedroom so I hardly slept that night, the other night then the other. Finally everything was tidy and nice. So the next night I slept so peacefully. When it was around 1:30am in when I woke up for no reason then I noticed something near the window when I looked closely I saw this little girl looking at the teddy bear, then I got goosebumps so I new she was a ghost. I got so scared that I didn't do anything but hide under my blankets. The next morning I told my mom but she didn't believe me then the next night I slept in my sister's room! But when my mom also had experiences she got scared so she decided to move. Now were in baguio in this huge house but NOT haunted thank god 😆
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
Considering the area you work in it could be the spirit of someone who died nearby. Doubt Charlie will do the things that freak you out like the window tapping.
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-29)
MrJV545
I have had cause to worry about spirits, trust me. In October there was a dark spirit in my house, I posted that story too.
I have a friend, Tim, who is a medium and is able to speak to them. And he is the one who made it very clear that the person Charlie was before he died, is who he is now. He was never intrusive, always kind, and knew where boundaries were. He was also my "mischievous big brother", was always playing pranks on me and when I caught him out, he would give the "Bart Simpson" response - "You didn't see me do it, you can't prove it".
MrJV545 (16 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2012-11-29)
So much for that window, I think it's just another place Charlie likes to amuse himself with. He seems like a bored child almost, and obviously an amazing friend to entertain you at boring hours. I find it funny how you say he doesn't follow you into private areas; I'm pretty sure he does and just doesn't manifest himself. HE SAW WHAT YOU DID. ALL OF IT. You're one of the few people I find who don't have to be worried about spirits, but the people around you. Hope you're not in any real danger. That's my comment on this; have a nice *insert span of time*.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: