You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Father's Sign

Real Ghost Stories

A Father's Sign

 

This story happened shortly after the passing of my father. It was a very stressful time for my family and I. I was only 12 at the time and had to take over as the man of the house. Watching my younger brother and making sure he ate and bathed, things like that, while mom was at work, you know the responsible stuff. I had an older brother who was facing charges of assault with a deadly weapon for defending himself with a stick against another guy with a knife. Needless to say he both won and lost. He won the fight and lost his court case. But I am getting ahead of myself.

The morning my brother went to trial, I was left home alone with my younger brother. We had been outside most of the morning playing with friends from around the neighborhood. My brother, a friend and myself decided to go in and get something to drink, my brother and friend went outside to drink theirs while I remained inside to clean up the mess. As I was walking by a picture of my older brother that was sitting on top of the TV, I wondered how the trial was going.

Well wouldn't you know it, at that exact moment my brother's picture flew off the TV. It didn't fall from the TV, I watched it jump into the air and fly from it. Next thing I know, the oven door opened and closed on its own. Then a wind up song bird my father had bought for my mom began to play, this required that the bird be wound and a switch flipped to play.

I was the only one in the house at the time and I could see the bird and oven from where I was standing so I know no one living had done either. The bird suddenly stopped playing and the front door opened and closed. I thought it was my brother or my friend coming in, it was neither as they had left their glasses on the table outside and were in the alley playing.

I came to the only conclusion possible, that my father was letting me know that my brother was going to prison and that he would be watching out for him while he was there. Shortly after this mom called to let me know and I told her I already knew and explained what happened. Needless to say, she didn't believe me. I believe he was also there to say his good byes as my brother and I were never allowed in the hospital room with him while he lay dying. Some stupid hospital rule back then.

This story is for you Dad. Know that you are loved and missed greatly.

Other hauntings by Shane

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shane, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TRENTON84 (1 stories) (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-31)
Sorry I just have not slept tryig to help someone find out how to distract a ghost.
KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
TRENTON84 I don't think Tammy was referring to the experience in her last comment, but to her small error in her previous comment. If you read all her comments you will see what I mean. I think that the "Just get over it!" was addressed to herself. Just saying...

Take care

Krys
TRENTON84 (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Tammy you probably had no one die that you REALLY loved! 😠 so don't comment if you have nothing to say!
TammyMom (32 posts)
-2
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
I would like two embarrassed emoticons please, with a side of "Just get over it!".
TammyMom (32 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
I didn't proofread my comment during the preview. It should have said the hospital's inconsideration. I know that some people notice grammatical errors in posts, and besides that, I'm a perfectionist (Virgo) and I can't stand to know that I did something wrong, or omitted something. It's too bad that there isn't an embarrased emoticon.
TammyMom (32 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Shane, In, I think it was 1974 or 1975, when my grandpa was dying, he wanted very much to see my oldest brother, who was in prison at the time. My mom put in a request for my brother to be allowed to visit him at the hospital, but it was denied. My grandpa died with a longing to see my brother. In 1987, when my dad was dying, he wanted to see all five of us children. We all went to visit him and spent as much time as we could with him before he died. Everyone, that is, except my older sister. She is the next to the youngest and she has anxiety disorders that become severe at times. She has also been on disability for many years, so she barely has enough money to pay for her rent and bills and to buy groceries. He begged her to do anything she had to do in order to get to him, which was in the next state from where we live. He told her even if she had to sell everything she owned, including her car, to just do it, and to get there fast. My aunt, who is his only sister, says that he would never have asked her to do that, but I believe my sister is telling the truth about this. She told me this same thing from the very beginning, and she still says it's true. Anyway, she told him that she couldn't get there because she didn't have the money to go, and she wasn't going to sell her car and everything to get there, and whatever else she said. He died without getting a last chance to see her, while he was alive anyway. I think that my oldest sister may have been there when he died. If so, she was the only one of his children who was there at that time. I believe that no matter how important it is for us to see our loved ones before they die, that it is a lot more important to them than we could ever even fathom. Even if they try to be brave and say that it's alright, I believe that everyone who's dying is afraid in some way, either from not knowing what awaits them, or about being separated from the ones they love. Even Christians who are saved and ready to go have to think about missing their families and everyday lives. I'm sure that your dad understood that you and your brother would have been there if not for the hospitals inconsideration at the most important and crucial time there would ever be in the relationship between you all.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Hello Shane. I just read this story of your father. Sorry for your loss and I hope you are doing okay at this time. I have had several experiences also with family that have passed. Take care of yourself and hope to read more of your stories. Thanks for sharing this story with us. I enjoyed reading it. 😉
skeptical81 (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
Shane I had a quick question for you, didn't see your eamil adress figured Id get in touch with you this way. How do I go about researching the history of a home, I'm curious to see if there's anything significant that happened in my inlaws home. Thanks for your help, Kerri
kerriannm81 [at] yahoo.com
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-10)
Dear Shane and Martin,

Hey guys, even the title of the ghost story fits perfectly, "Scary Sleep Pressure"! :)

No coincidences, --Abby 😊 ❤
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-10)
Dear Shane,

Bring her home Shane, just one more post and you have reached your 1,000 post milestone. Yeh!

Excited and Happy at the Anticipation, Abby 😁 ❤
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Sorry Abby, Work is getting in the way at the moment. Trying to comment around the work in progress. LOL Didn't mean to leave you hanging. Was waiting to see if Martin had any newbies to post but I guess we can knock this out the old fashion way.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Dear Shane,

Anybody home there or am I the only one posting on here? Wake up! Ahemmm, Shane you have but four comments to go my friend. Awaiting more posts. :) --Abby ❤
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Dear Shane,

What do you get for a 1,000 posts? Another year older and deeper in debt? No, No, that's not it, that's an old Earnie Ford song. Maybe Shane, Martin and readers, how's about a different colored ghost for each post milestone or maybe there could be a ghost that materializes in pieces with each piece of the ghost representing each posting milestone? Just an imaginary thought. Boo! Abby 😆
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Dearest Abby,
How happy I am you could be here tonight. 😁 Yes true that young princekatie is moving up the ranks fast. But I get the impression that she is posting because she is bored, more than out of concern for the person being effected by the paranormal as you, I and others have taken a stance in doing. It is not just a matter of numbers. It is also a matter of taking the time and really listening to what the person telling the story is trying to Convey and assisting them from that. We know that sometimes the story goes deeper than just a spirit touching someone or a voice being heard. Sometimes it can be a cry for help or a lonely person just trying to reach out and be with others. Makes one wonder how many people here have touched the lives of another just by offering a kind word instead of passing judgement. I know of several of you who have touched my life in a special way, and I thank you. Yes some stories are difficult to believe and we let it be known, but we try to do so in a respectful manner. Well now that I have managed to bore everyone to death, on with the show.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Dear Shane,

I am here, present and accounted for. Would not have missed it for the world! Party!

As for me being hot on your posting heels, I think PrincessKatie might surpass the both of us, quoting from you and as you say the "young whipper snappers" (only joking readers)! :)

Shane, Let the posting begin! 1,000 here you come! :)

Love, Abby ❤
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Bell, the very first story that I believe I posted to was Scary Sleep Pressure. I am sure Martin will correct me if I am wrong. Wow, that seems like a long time ago. I left the title up to Martin as he is the owner and operator of the site. Also our dear friend Abby is hot on my heals to becoming the next person to make 1000 post. I just hope that I am able to be here for her 1000th and yours as well dear Bell. Five more to go, think I will wait and see if Martin post any new stories before moving on.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Ahhhh...Shane! You shall be dubbed Lord High Marshall, as per your request in a previous comment section. Personally, I'm kind of partial to 'Grand Poohbah', I think it's very dignified, not to mention just plain cool. Maybe you'll consider changing your choice of title? Just a thought! ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Hi, Shane! 1000 POSTS!Wow! Well, I hope you can fill me in on which story it is that you made your first post. I'd like to join in your amazing accomplishment! This is so fabulous, incredible and awesome! Like Abby, I've been keeping an eye out for that giant magic number with some anticipation! I think it's a pretty big deal. If I do miss the turn-over then congratulations, a little on the early side but just as heartfelt as if I was with you. What was our title we decided on? I'll check that out! ❤
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Dear Shane,

I was actually hanging around watching your current number of comments click upwards. I had the hats, noisemakers and confetti at the ready, just in case I saw that post number go to the big 1,000! I almost thought it was going to be this AM (my time). Yet, I think you doing it this way is so much better, so conserve your posts for just the right moment and time. For conservation purposes, there is no need to post back a response to me. :)

I'll be here tomorrow night to help you celebrate! Can't wait! Everybody bring your celebration hats, noisemakers, confetti and anything else you wish. I'll see if I can hunt up a ghost or two. Martin can bring the ghostly brew ;) for the comment ghost toast when your comment count strikes 1,000!

See you, Shane and all ghoster posters, tomorrow night with church bells on. :)

1,000 Boo Blessings--Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Dearest Abby, Martin and all my YGS friends make sure you are here tomorrow night, as I believe I will make that 1000th post then. I am thinking of going back to my very first post and posting it there. The place where it all started. If not I will find something of interest to post it with. See you then.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Shenny (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-06)
Hi Shane 😊
My 2nd Story's Posted, I hope you find the time to read if you'renot too busy 😊

Take care and Much love,
Shenny.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Sandy, thank you for your kind words they are greatly appreciated.😊

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Shane, after reading this story you have got a sign from your father too... I'm sorry for your loss, and what an interesting story. Thank you for sharing, God bless you and keep you safe. 😉
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
True Athena, but better to error on the side of judgement than to just put out too much information and have young ones playing with things that are better left alone. Thank you for responding back.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Hey, Thanks for you feedback! Yes, I do, in part, agree with you. In my opinion there are a couple more aspects to it as well.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-29)
PrincessKatie, no I don't think anyone wanted you to die. But some people do have a bit of a weird sense of humor. Don't let it bother you, let what is in the past be in the past and look forward to the future. I have read your stories here and find them interesting. I also find it quite interesting that you have risen through the ranks to senior poster in such a short period of time. Congrats on that. Just don't burn yourself out.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-29)
Sarah, I am not a medium I am just a man who has study the paranormal for a very long time. So I do not know if I will be able to tell you whoes spirit is in your home I may through some of my contacts and notes be able to tell you what the writing is and maybe what it means. I may even be able to give you advise on how to rid the home of the spirits. One thing to try if you are willing to return to the home is to hang cleansed, charged clear or smoked quartz crystals in the windows of your home. This will help to capture any negative energies that are there. Also the smudge ceremony is a very powerful tool to rid a home of unwanted spirits and entities. Just remember you have to have faith in what ever method you choose or they tend not to work. I will do my best to help you. Just let me know once you are able to post the picture.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-28)
do you think she wanted me to die? Cause I will always remember that holiday of her laughing. I nearly died twice on that holiday and some one saved me. I did have a voice in my head on that day I got a electricity in my hand they said to open the door and so I did and my nan was about to knock on.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-28)
Shane yeah that true these people on here go through things just like we do and it is just kind of like a family in a way. We can share our stories and comment on each others. I have 13 stories on psychic experience website I wrote my stories on there because I didn't know about this website I'm new on here. I'm still waiting for my stories to be published on here. I did once experience a near to death experience on holiday and it wasn't good. For some reason I wasn't myself on holiday I was taking some one else's emotions where they wanted to be quit suicide they wanted to kill themselves. It just wasn't me it was like I was just feeling there emotions really. Then I had a dream about getting electricity in my hand and the dream repeated in real life the dream came true. I told my dad the double socket broke in half and my nanna laughed because I did I nearly died. Why did she laugh I told her to say sorry but she just kept on laughing she is evil
sarahk (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-28)
hello shane sarah here thank you for your comment on my story I am going to get a picture of the writing and put it up on this site if I can one of the girls called shenny commented me and she asked me if I knew who built the house and yes I do my father built the house one year ago. Shenny I couldn't post you if you see this comment post me back and shane I just really want to know what or who this is in our house if you can help me at all please comment me or I can go into the chat room many thanks sarah.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: