You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Ouija, Won't Ya - Heck No

Real Ghost Stories

Ouija, Won't Ya - Heck No

 

This is not my story, but a shared experience of my parents. One they did not readily share with us kids until we were grown. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure they shared it with all of us, and I only heard it after asking my Mom point blank why in a household of divination paraphernalia (used by my father) were Ouija boards taboo.

I've never known my Mother to be dishonest in her answers, and she wasn't one to embellish a tale. Quiet frankly, if my Dad had told me what she revealed to me, I'd be asking for someone to pass me the salt shaker, but from my Mom - I'd bet my life on it being true.

When my Mom was around 16 (that would be 1935 or so) someone gave her a popular 'board game' called Ouija. Of course she and a few of her friends just had to play it. The details are a bit sketchy, but someone asked if Mom had a spirit guide, the answer was 'yes'. Then it was asked for the guide's name and the board spelled out the name of a boy whom my Mother had known in school. Believing that the boy was working at the factory across the river, my Mom laughed it off. However, what she did not know is he had been involved that very day in a fatal machine accident.

Learning that he had died at the same time the board had given his name was enough for my Mom, it was packed away and not touched again - until, my father came along almost a decade later. Of course, he wanted to use it, and cajoled my mother into giving it another try. After all, nothing really bad had happened before, right? Mom soon regretted even mentioning her previous experience to him, as he just would not drop it and she gave in.

They sat in a darkened room, with lit candles, the board balanced across their knees. As my father asked questions, the room became colder, and staticy. My father asked for proof that someone was truly there with them, and the board began to rise - soon their hands, with fingers still on the planchette, were nearly chest high! Then the board settled back on to their knees. My mother wanted to quit there and then, but my father pushed on.

My mother withdrew her hands and was no longer touching the board in any manner, except for her knees, and still the planchette continued moving, answering my father's queries. Upset, my Mom told him to stop teasing, she KNEW he was moving it. "I'm not," he removed his hands and they both stared at the still moving planchette, and then - then the board 'danced' as my Mother called it. It hovered and spun all of its own accord before crashing violently into the wall, with the candles snuffing out. With a scream my mother fled the room. My father emerged a few moments later, telling her that everything was ok, and he'd 'taken care of it.'

"You just can't control those things. Whatever comes through, comes through, and you're better off not meddling with the unknown. That's why I will NOT have one in my house." Even if she didn't say it out loud, I knew she was thinking, "or in your house either!"

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
6 years ago (2018-10-20)
Sinking,
I can't say whether the two things were related, when it comes down to my dad. There are so many factors to consider when someone under goes a change of attitude, and it's all individualized. Sometimes it can be a health issue involved, either physical or mental. Or caused by abusing substances. Sometimes it's just the way someone really is, and their mask has slipped. Sometimes it's their reaction to things they can do nothing about.
It can also be a self fulfilling prophecy, when it comes to things of the paranormal. We cause it to be so.
I do not know the details of your experience, but I can say this, 10 years between 15 and 25 is a life time of growing. We all did stupid things as teens. Some worse than others. We need to forgive ourselves. We can't change what we did, but we can learn from it. Attitude is highly personal, and we OWN that. We can change it. It is not where we were that is important, but where we now stand.
That_sinkingFeeling (5 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-10-20)
Wow...that's down right scary. As mentioned it was taken care of, does that old incident has something to do with your father's sudden change in attitude? I don't mean to hurt you I'm asking because I messed with an Ouija board 10 years ago because I was 15 and quite stupid. Well long story short, I'm paying for my stupidity.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-23)
Troy, close! Mom was born in 1921, dad in 1923. Back in the 30s the Ouija was thought to be a parlor game, by many. However the Ouija dates back long before that. I know it was being advertized back in like 1890.
Ah, here we go - here's a real good article about the history of the Ouija Board, from the Smithsonian
W.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-strange-and-mysterious-history-of-the-ouija-board-5860627/?no-ist
Enjoy!
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-22)
So your mom was born in about 1919? That was quite a while ago. And it seems the board was big back then.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-22)
Wish-Not, just came back from your link! NICE work!
(Says I need 50 characters- Disney or Warner Bros?)
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-22)
elnora- Just saw your last post here on val's. I really enjoyed Pecos as well. Love me some Rockies.

Val-Thought I'd throw in a quick link to some of the woodburnings that I have done. Small example of the things I do.
Https://www.pinterest.com/mikeneal184/my-woodburnings/
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-20)
Wish-not, you made my day:D

Pecos is one of my favorite places. I am getting married in Tijeras, but Pecos was my first choice.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-18)
You're welcome, notjust. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - I practically grew up at the Chicago Art Institute. Since it is both a Museum and a school, I got to see both Masters and the up and coming. It wasn't unusual to find a student sketching, or to have some Professor more than willing to discuss some technique, or tell the story behind the picture or sculpture. Http://www.artic.edu/, in case you'd like a gander. I know it's not the same as actually seeing - but...
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-18)
excellent...thanks Val, I will be sure to check it out
psychopat (3 posts)
-3
9 years ago (2015-01-17)
hello, I just wanted to say that is not the board brings spirits and demons. But humans themselfs. I myself had few interesting episodes from this ghosts stuff but they aint that special, so I going to tell you guys one of my friends experence. That happened about 6 - 7 years ago. He was still a kid and older people told him, how to call a " demon " or whatever you call that these days. My friend never was into that kind of stuff also he wasn't the one easy to scare. So as he was telling me he called few of his friends and made the circle keeping each other hands, watching around them (not in the center of the circle). Than they few times said " devil come here " or something like that. Also I forgot to mention that was winter time. They was hearing weird sounds while doing that, as well after they called it, they been saying words to him be gone (its some kind of ritual, because you can't keep it summoned) so after they finished they saw the snow where the demon suppose to be was melted. The ritual itself took about 5 minutes or something.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-17)
SDS, thanks for reading and commenting. Well, I can't go as far as to say that I've never touched a board. But that was before my Mom had told me her experience.
You really should write up your experiences, SDS. I know I would be interested in reading them.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-17)
Hi Val, actually it was the title that got me. Well, yes, whatever connected to Ouija, I try to read and if possible, advise or suggest the O/P not to meddle with it and then when I opened the page, the author was you, Val and I was delighted to read it. After you told about your mother in one of your replies, I could really understand as to how you value her opinions.

But, we have been right all along, touching the Board is not good at all. And your mother was right again, when you wrote, "Even if she didn't say it out loud, I knew she was thinking, "or in your house either!"

Thanks for sharing. I do have my own experiences, first without knowing what it was when I was suddenly introduced to it by one of my maternal uncles when I was around 10 years old and again much later, when I came to know about the Board. Not good experiences at all. I will share them some day.

Thanks again Val.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Elnora- I have had the pleasure of being to Albuquerque. My grandson was born at the Air Force base there. We got to go up to Santa Fe as well. We loved both places. And NM. Course I grew up part of my life in west Texas. Lubbuck. So I was able to cross over into noerthern NM a lot. Pecos Wilderness. Did a lot of backpacking there as a teenager.

Thanks for all the good wishes on Art Show. By no means a professional. I do woodburnings of wildlife. Fun stuff
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
notjust, if memory serves, you are in Canada yes?
Here's a website for art shows http://www.canada.worldweb.com/Events/ArtShowsExhibits/

Not too many listed right now. Might be more when things warm up.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
My art group puts up photography shows a few times a year! Which is really only helpful if you live anywhere near Albuquerque- and not many people do.: (

A lot of bars usually host them or small restaurants. Those are the best ones to go to- much more laid back than big artists and you get a nicely diverse style from different artists.

At least, in my opinion.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Omigosh! I love art and would love t go to an art show one day. Best of luck Wish-Not "sir" ๐Ÿ˜œ
...and we are as young as we feel! I already know I'm going to be a looney grandma lol. My bestie said to me once "I can imagine you saying messed up things to your grandkids just to throw them off" - kakaka yes I shall pick my favourite and only act normal around that one ๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿ˜† just kidding.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Good luck with the art show, Wish-not!:D

Aw, I want a three day weekend, too!
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
I hope you do as well wish not! I wish I had a 3 day weekend but I sadly only have 2. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend as well! I will be watching. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
I have a three day weekend coming up in about 15 minutes. Have an art show to get ready for next month so will be really busy this weekend.

Hope everyone has a great and blessed weekend!
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
I KNEW IT! I feel awesome that I had someone's gender right for once ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† Lovely to hear that wish not!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
All is well, all is well. I will be happy to fill in some blanks here:

Male
52 years of age, 53 Feb 9th (actually just a kid trapped in an aging body)
Caucasian
Single, however living with and loving my life partner Jennifer (have mentioned her in several stories)

What else would you like to know?
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
I think wish-not is asking his wife just to be sure before clarifying that for ya... ๐Ÿ˜‰
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Lmao, Wish-not, I'm sorry. I have made you the cornerstone of this conversation.

We can trade places on the couch now.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
LOL VALK
Notjustme- oh this is where I assume wish not is a boy... WISH NOT CAN YOU CLARIFY?
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
LORD! I thought Wish-Not was a girl... So not good at this gender and race thing.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Wait - did Wish- Not say he was sitting on the couch? I have a couch in here?!? Huh- and all this time I thought it was just a pile of dirty laundry...
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Elnora, maybe wish not does not understand and that is why he is shaking his head! ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
And I am a real girl, too!

Ahem.
Sorry.

It's okay Sam. Wish-not understands:P
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
LOL I wish there wasn't a limit to the amount of points because everyone would be getting points. -becomes ifihadoprahx YOU GET SOME POINTS AND YOU GET SOME POINTS.

And oh well, fine. No friendship on social media anyway! ๐Ÿ˜•
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
How come I can't give you karma points ifi?...pointspointspointspoints

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: