You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Horrible Thing Happened Here

Real Ghost Stories

A Horrible Thing Happened Here

 

In April of 1996 my husband and I went to the site of the Oklahoma City bombing to leave flowers and pay respects. My husband was a military firefighter and had volunteered to go help with search and rescue when the bombing happened.

It was a very overcast day and rather cold for April. We were standing at the fence that had been constructed. The fence was covered with flowers and photos of those who had been killed in the bombing. There was a very sobering feeling and eerie silence there.

As we were standing there a beautiful red headed girl was to the right of us and as we got closer to her, she glanced my way and looked back at the fence. Soon I was standing right beside her. I heard her start to cry so I looked over at her. At first I thought something mentally was wrong with her. She had a very very "Vacant" look to her... A "there" but NOT "there" look. She says to me as she looks back at the fence. "It was a horrible thing that happened here." My reply to her was, "Yes...so sad" then she looked at my husband and said, "Why do you look so familiar?" He said, "I don't know, I live in Illinois." She went on along the fence and so did we.

After a minute or so I looked back to see if she was still along the fence, but she wasn't so I went on. A few minutes later as we are still looking along the fence my husband stopped in his tracks. His face turned white and all he could do was point. There on the fence among all the hundreds of photos and flowers was a homemade poster that read, "We miss you everyday"...and a photo of the girl we just talked to. We both had to stand there a few minutes to gain our composure. It was ABSOLUTELY the same girl... I had noticed a small scar on her eyebrow when talking to her and the photo had the same scar. We were both so distraught that we had to leave the site.

I will never forget the beautiful redhead girl, nor all the photos I saw that day. My husband for years afterward had nightmares about the time he spent volunteering in the days after the bombing.

Other hauntings by KimmieWebb

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KimmieWebb, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

HarlowMortis (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-25)
Kimmie... I didn't try to give you goosebumbs x.x Indeed very weird. It was a truely tradic everyone.

I wonder if maybe we are tied together seeing how we both seen the same little red haired little girl.
Afraidnolonger (5 stories) (21 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
Wow! Your experiences are incredible. Thanks for sharing!
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-15)
HarlowMortis...you just gave me goosebumps a mile high. I am in total shock that you saw the same red headed girl. I'm so sorry for your uncle... I can't imagine dealing with the trauma of it all. I know my ex-husband saw horrible things. He was moving debris at one point and moved a large sheet of metal and behind that metal was a woman laying on her side (not living of course) and her eyes were fixed on his. He said he had to make himself look away and keep working but as he moved another sheet of metal a brown thick liquid began to pour out of her stomach area. He then realized it was old blood. He said he sobbed the entire time he was there. Thanks to you all for the nice comments! And Harlow... Thanks for the goosebumps.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-15)
Hi KimmieWebb, thanks for sharing your experience. As Val said achingly beautiful. Perhaps the girl felt that your ex-husband was familiar and that she expressed it too.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
HarlowMortis (2 stories) (14 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-03-13)
Being from Oklahoma myself, I remember "the Bombing" very well. I was only in the first grade. My uncle works for Dolese as a deisel (sp?) mechnic. There was a fire truck that had broken down, and they sent him out there to work on it. They told him to not look down and don't reach for anything besides into his tool box. My uncle reached into what he thought was his tool box and grabbed what he thought was a tool... Instead pulled back a childs arm. He immediatly broke down... It was a sad thing for him to expirience... Here where it gets a little odd, Kimmy, a year or so later, I do believe in May of 1996, we went to go visit. It was extremely hard for my uncle. But we too seen that same red haired girl. Same expirience we had as well.
selkay (6 stories) (40 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-12)
Really sad story, hope your ex husband is at peace with the experience from the volunteering. Thanks for sharing
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
He did receive help and is doing very well now. Thanks so much for the sweet comments.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
Kimmie, I noticed you husband (and I assume you too) are from Il, me too. I knew a lot of different units that went in to try and help. From my understanding it was nothing short of traumatic, and most of them received counseling to help process what they saw.
One of the guys who had served in the Marines and had seen combat, said it was like being in a war zone all over again... I can't name even one who was not altered somehow by what they saw. I'm not surprised that your husband didn't recognize her. Sometimes that's part of our mental defense.
Anyway, your account was achingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
Oh gosh... Beautifully creepy. Maybe she doesn't even know she died, poor girl.
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
So glad you enjoyed the story. I will never forget it. I would love to go back to the site, I doubt it looks the same after all these years. ❤
MeltyCat (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
A beautiful story indeed. I can't help but feel both sad and happy at the same time. I tip my hat to him for his efforts as someone who had their firefighting career cut short by illness. Bravo good sir.
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
That was my thought as well. He didn't remember seeing her at all during his time there. He absolutely came back a different man. I will send him thanks from you. We are now divorced but are on good ground.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
Woah. What a powerful story. Maybe she recognized him because of the fact he volunteered which please send him my thanks for helping out. It takes a lot and I am sure he saw a lot while doing so.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: