You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Protected By Our Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Protected By Our Dog

 

Date: circa August 1998

This is one event that I will never forget as long as I live. I recall the time being a few days or so before the new school year began. I think I may have just had my orientation earlier that same day or a few days before. Anyway, it was within the hour of 10 PM and I was laying on the top bunk in my bedroom reading some sort of magazine while watching tv. My two sisters were asleep on the bottom bunk.

I heard my kid sister's Dachshund barking and making a commotion outside of the bedroom window but I pretty much just ignored him. Not long afterwards my dad came in the room and told me to hurry up and come see something. I walked quickly into the kitchen and he had the door already opened looking outside with the porch light on. He told me to pay attention to the dog.

We both stood there and watched the dog and we noticed that he was aggressively barking at something that was right outside my bedroom window and close to the side door porch but we couldn't see anything there, even though it was well within the range of the porch light. It was literally like someone was trying to come up the front porch and enter the house but the dog wouldn't let them. We seen where the dog kept darting in a semi-circle around the porch as if someone was trying to get around him but they couldn't get past the dog.

The dog finally lunged out as if it was attacking the invisible intruder, then all of a sudden he jumped back and let out a loud whimper as if something lashed at him. My dad and I just slowly turned and looked at each other with a crazy/scared expression. The dog slowly started backing up closer to the steps of the porch and after that we closed the door.

Knowing everything that we've experienced around the house over the years, we both knew that the dog was barking at a ghost. Animals are more sensitive to the presence of spirits than we are. Not only are their senses more keen than humans, but they cannot be taught to mentally block out such things like our society often teaches us to do.

There were many times where we would observe the dog (the same one) barking at "something" around the house whether outside or in, but never anything as serious as that. That fateful night it was as if the dog (just a small Dachshund not even a full year of age) was trying to protect us from something that we couldn't see, and from the looks of it... It could've been pretty harmful. And just think, my dad and I had the door open watching and the "thing" was literally just a few steps away with only a small dog between us and "it".

I often talk to my dad about the event and he still remembers it just as clearly as I do.

Other hauntings by Dee-J

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dee-J, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sarah (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
Hi,
That's such a lovely story of your dog protecting his family 😁
ladydarke (113 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-31)
This reminds me of Neil Gaiman's short story, "The Price." You can read it here: http://www.b*i*t*c*hwick.com/amacker/bean/price.html <-- sorry but you'll have to take the asterisks out of that link due to the filter.

With that story, I get so frustrated with the protagonist for investing so deeply in his own helplessness. The only thing that cat had that the protagonist didn't was gumption or, perhaps more kindly said, the wisdom to trust himself and his capabilities. It's sad how true, how real that story is, in that it exposes exactly the way so many rely so fervently on something *other* for spiritual protection, even something clearly less-qualified than ourselves, as if each of us doesn't already possess all the power we need. One supposes we as a race have been passing down that coda of impotence for a very long time and it's hard for most to shut the book, look up, and look within.

Dee-J, I'm sorry to comment on this older experience instead of on your recent story, "Spirit Passing Through My Room." I had little to say on that one as it seemed you had it pretty much figured out. I enjoyed reading it, thank you for sharing. As I like your stories, I read this one as well when I noticed I had missed it.

I think a lot can be learned from tiny dogs who think they're big: since that's how they see themselves, that's what they are on a spiritual/energetic level. All the same, I felt much as I do reading "The Price" when your tiny half-grown dog and elderly uncle had to set the example for child-you. Kind of reminds me of one brilliant line (from the equally-brilliant parody, "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Fishmen" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI), which goes - cue cheery carol - "I wish I'd paid attention to that crazy drunken man!"

I wanted to clap when I read your comment wherein you stated that as the adult you are now you would stand your ground. Wish that was how "The Price" had ended!

Cheers
Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-26)
sds: Sorry for the late response. I haven't been online in several days.

Yes, regarding the dog being lashed at, there were no apparent marks left on his body. When it jumped back and whimpered, it was as if something jumped at him rather than hit him (you know how when you kind of stomp your feet at a dog to kind of scare it off?).

We didn't notice any strange behavior with the dog afterwards as far as any fear or trauma is concerned. Afterwards still, it would occasionally bark at something invisible to our eyes from time to time but, again, that was the only time it was that severe. Around that period of time (1997-1998) we had a LOT of strange acitvity around or home, so it was only inevitable that the dog would start sensing things too.

Let me tell you, I can recall a few nights earlier that same year when we would see the dog along side the edge of the road of our front yard following something that appeared to be walking by. The dog was barking aggressively and snarling then kind of dart around it in a circle-like manner, but whatever it was apparantly just kept walking. It was very eerie witnessing all of that.

Even more unnerving was that I had an elderly uncle who would often come to our house and stay for a while. He was old, jobless, down on his luck, and his wife died recently at the time, so he became a drunkard. Long story short. There was one night he was drunk and he was sitting outside on the side door porch. We heard him outside yelling saying, "get the h*ll outta here. You don't have no business in the yard!". We rushed outside to see what was going on and he told us that there was a man that was walking in the yard and he ran into the backyard. We didn't believe him at first because he was intoxicated, but all the while we noticed that the dog took off in the back yard barking as if he was chasing someone. We took a flashlight and checked the backyard but all we seen was the dog barking but no one was back there, at least no one our eyes could see.

The dog, even though it was a Dachshund under a year old, was good for driving "things" off, so that is why we kept it outside most of the time.

Caz, and MystieGypsy: Yes, it is quite hilarious that small dogs can be rather ferocious. Like Caz said, it's funny because they don't know that they're small. Lol!

CJ-MY: Lol. In retrospect I probably would've stood my ground against "it". Nowadays I still kind of detect presences every now. Nothing malevolent feeling, just little cold spots and presences that seem to just be hanging around, and then and I will ask "it" to please leave, being as spirits are essentially just people. The only "ghost" that I ever cussed at was the Bingham Light, but that was another matter altogether. If you are interested you can check my profile to find that story and that part in particular.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-24)
Hi Dee-J, quite an interesting narrative. It might have been a spirit and you said that it had happened only once and it was barking like you had never seen it done before or after. Was there any marks on the dog because you said that it whimpered as if it had been lashed by someone. Was there any strange behaviour with the dog afterwards, the next day or so? Please do respond.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
CJ-MY (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-24)
You should just shout obscenities and curse words towards "it"... My family once said it always works out for this kind of situation... Lol ^^
Caz (342 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
MistyGypsy...That's because the smallest dogs 'don't know' they're small! 😆
MystieGypsy (15 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-22)
Great story! I've always found it amusing that the smallest dogs seem to make the best guard dogs. 😆
Caz (342 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-21)
Yes Dee... And I've only just realised you must've been quite young at the time and that must've been scary! Maybe by the time you get to my age... You won't think twice! Lol
Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-21)
Caz: Funny! You know, during times like that you just don't think about reacting any other way except with fear. The whole time all we could do was stand there and watch. I can imagine if I gave it a piece of my mind it would've gave me a piece of haunting that night. Lol
Caz (342 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-21)
Interesting story Dee-J, but I must say if any'thing' lashed out and hurt my dog, I'd have given it a piece of my mind and told it where to go before getting the dog in and closing the door!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: