You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Master Bedroom

Real Ghost Stories

The Master Bedroom

 

Date: Various. Circa 1998-1999

Before you read this, I just wanted to say that given the title of this entry, I hate for this to sound like some sort of cliche title of a horror movie. However, the title is indeed very fitting, and the story will speak for itself.

My house has had a lot of paranormal activity pretty much ever since it was built back in 1984, a year before I was born. The activity was never really consistent and would come and go over the years. However, the peak of the activity took place in 1998, especially. I can't remember an actual starting point as it just sort of gradually became prominent, but I would probably say around March or April of that year. To this day we (my family and I) are not really sure what it was all about or WHO's spirit it was for that matter, but it sure put us through a lot. Given the time frame, I'm willing to bet that the activity I experienced in my bedroom a few months prior (please refer to the my other entry, "Strange Noise on the Bottom Bunk") is connected to the activity I'm going to relate in this entry. Proceeding with the story now...

Around March or April 1998 we became aware that the master bedroom would frequently have this very odd feeling to it. It's quite hard to describe but it's like the room would always have this stillness, as if there was no sort of life or feeling in the air. In other words, it just felt "Dead". Gradually it would get to the point that upon entering the room it would be pure ice cold and there was this strong sense of dread as if there was someone that had pure hatred directed towards you. There were times where the feeling would be so intense that it felt like it was just the pure emotion of hatred itself manifested. It just did not feel right at all and there was always the feeling of urgency to run out. At other times it just felt "weird" in an indescribable sort of way.

It got to the point where we couldn't even go in there at all, and my parents eventually moved out of the room altogether and started to sleep in the den. They had to leave the door closed always and if they needed something out of the room they had to go in there and get it as quickly as possible then leave out. Occasionally my dad and I would open the door briefly just to check the room. Most of the time it was alright and felt safe to spend some time in there, but there were times when the feeling would come back and it was just too overwhelming.

During this same time frame, I can remember vividly, we would often feel a cold spot slowly moving through the house. We would take notice of it and thought it was a draft at first, but even if the air conditioner was turned on it wouldn't send any breeze through the house like that. This cold spot always had an odd vibe to it. It was very slow moving for one thing, it felt ice cold just like the room did, and there was always a presence as if it were a person. We would feel it often and it got to the point where we would sometimes follow it around the house just to see where it was going. We noticed that it would seem to come out of the master bedroom and would slowly move down the hallway, into the kitchen, then out into the living room and den, then it would just slowly fade off. I'm not even going to lie, everyone was a bit freaked out by that. Just imagine how it felt for us to be in the house and we would feel something lurking around like that...I'm getting goosebumps just thinking back on it.

My kid sister had a Dachshund puppy that we had just got at the time, and it would always seem to bark and whimper at "something" that we couldn't see, but we could most definitely feel it. The dog wouldn't even go near the master bedroom sometimes.

I should add too that it was really hard having to go to school with this sort of thing on my mind all day, with the addition of having to focus on schoolwork as well as dealing with stress from peers. Things just got very difficult during this time and my performance in school gradually plummeted. My teachers were becoming concerned about me and was asking what was wrong. Also, some of my peers began to take notice that I would always come to school looking scared or upset about something, but what was I to say? I definitely couldn't tell them about what was happening at home. Imagine going to school having just experienced something crazy the night before or being afraid to come home from school because you didn't know what to expect. It was all becoming very overwhelming.

Time went on and the activity gradually calmed, but we would occasionally feel something odd here and there. My parents never completely moved back in the master bedroom though. However, I ended up moving in it because I was getting older and I needed the personal space away from my siblings. I also got tired of them being so noisy while I was trying to sleep.

Upon moving into the bedroom the experiences from before was always in the back of my mind, but for a while the bedroom felt fine and nothing out of the ordinary happened. However, years later there would be the occasional occurrence, like feeling a slight cold spot, hearing little noises around the room, and other little odd things.

There would be many of nights where I would be lying down and it never seemed to fail that upon dozing off I would always hear a noise in the room, like a little popping sound for instance. Now, logic will tell one that a house is going to pop under normal circumstances such as when the house is settling, but these sounds only happened when I was trying to doze off and it would always wake me up. It's like something was deliberately trying to annoy me and every night I could always expect it to happen. The only times it wouldn't do that was when I slept with the TV on.

Additionally, there would be many of nights where I couldn't sleep in peace because there was always this feeling of someone in the room. Sometimes I would jump up out of my sleep because of it. It got so bad at times that I had to go out into the living room and sleep on the couch, and upon doing so I wouldn't have any trouble sleeping or have any strange feelings.

It took years but over time the activity ceased altogether.

Other hauntings by Dee-J

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dee-J, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-03)
Macknorton: My friend just didn't believe in ghosts, so that event was something we never discussed again. He was not the type of person I would talk about that sort of thing on a serious level with. I don't know what became of the house or the lady that was placed in a nursing home afterwards. It was just at that particular time we were walking in the neighborhood and he went by her house to check on it from time to time, as he was asked to by the lady.

You had a chilling little story there. UGH! Especially to know that others in the house said they felt that also. That's creepy as h*ll to feel like your being followed around a house. I've had that sensation a few times in my own home as well, but it was just a sensation so I can't pin it down to something that actually happened, though I'm inclined to believe it was really something behind me in the hallway.

Ghosts sneaking up on people in hallways is not an uncommon occurance. There are many accounts (even on this website) where people have reported the feeling of being watched or followed while going down a hallway. I'm tending to think that it's a favorite place for ghosts to spook people for some reason.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-03)
Miracles - it's good to know I have made you laugh! We need more laughter! 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-02-02)
Sorry, Dee-J, I don't mean to derail your story but I have to say something to Mack.

Mack, one of the funniest things I've read in awhile "My friend (who I will simply call "Marie" because that was her name)..." 😆
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-02)
Hey Dee-J, that would have been unsettling for sure. Your friend showed nerves of steel.

That reminds me (sorry to reply with a short story to your reply with a short story 😊) of a similar type of experience I had a friends house afew years ago.

My friend (who I will simply call "Marie" because that was her name) was flatting in a fairly old place and I would stay there occasionally. Anyway, the house felt absolutely fine but the dark hallway (about 5 metres long) that led from the lounge to the two front bedrooms and front door was seriously...OFF!

Everyone who lived / stayed there said they felt like there was something rearing up behind them and following them when they walked down it. I felt it one night so intensely that I actually bolted and ran, terrified to her room!

It was really odd that the rest of the house seemed pleasant except for the hallway.

Mack
Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-02)
RANDYM: Thanks for your comment. The idea about it being negative energy seems to make sense. It actually seems more scary to be honest. It seems like a negative energy that has a life of it's own could possibly classify as a poltergeist, and the way how this "thing" behaved at times, I wouldn't be surprised if that is what it was.

I'm glad you loved the story though!

Bibliothecarius: I understand completely what you are saying... At least I think we are on the same page. I have heard theories before that pent up emotions in a household, especially from teenage children in particular, can cause a release of negative energy to manifest into a poltergeist. While there were indeed tensions and verbal arguments in our household over the years, it didn't happen in sync with the time that the phenomena occured. During the times when the experiences did happen, if we felt upset or depressed about something, it didn't seem to have any effect on the strength of this "thing" at the time. It seemed to just act on it's own will. However, I will go as far as to say that it was drawn to the negative energy present in our household in the first place. A negative environment, whether physical or emotional will attract negative spirits.

MOLLICALAZZARO: No apologies necessary, for I too haven't visited the site in a few days. Lol.

I am glad that you didn't have that experience again. That's something that once you feel one time, you don't want to feel it anymore, except in retrospect. Lol. As for the other things you said happen, I will definitely be glad if you could share them!
Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-02)
Macknorton: That is absolutely chilling. Wow! It sounds as if a spirit charged right at you. Don't know if it was angry or not but it sure seemed to rush at you with enough impact to make it's presence known.

That reminds me exactly of one experience I had when a friend and I were checking up on this house that an elderly lady he knew lived in before she got put in a nursing home, which was very recently at the time of this event (circa 2001?). The house looked totally unassuming, besides the fact that it was old and not in top shape. However, that all changed when we got into the back bedroom. Like the rest of the house, it looked fine, but it just had this undeniable uneasiness to it and the atmosphere was stuffy and unpleasant. It wasn't as bad as the sensation I related in my story, but it was enough to make you feel like getting out of there. I didn't say anything to my friend about the sensation.

As we were walking out of the room and down the hallway, we heard a creak down the hallway behind us near the bedroom door we left from. We turned and looked back but didn't see anything, so we kept walking. As we continued walking we heard the creaking coming up further in the hallway as if someone was following us. It wasn't the type of creak like when you step on a weak spot on the floor. It was that type of creaking when someone is walking down the hallway in an old house and the walls seem to creak as you walk along. The crazy thing is that it wasn't doing this when we were walking through the hallway though. It was doing this behind us and was totally out of sync with our walking pace. We stopped walking and turned around to look again but the noise kept progressing closer towards us. Then all of a sudden it's like we felt this "swooosh" sensation that just came right towards us as if someone had charged us. It wasn't a hard impact. It was actually very soft, but it definitely felt like a mild breeze.

I was scared senseless but my friend just stood there and was like "what the world?". He just kind of shrugged it off and after that we locked up and left the house. As we were walking away from the house and heading out the yard, I was saying to him that there was probably a ghost in that house. I was saying it jokingly but on the inside I was creeped out. He just laughed and said "I don't know what that was. Probably just because the house is old."

Anyway, sorry to write a story in reply to your comment, but the little story you related reminded me of that particular event and I just had to share it.
MOLLICALAZZARO (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-26)
Hi Dee-J,

Apologies for the late reply. I haven't visited the site for a while. As to elaborating on the story I wrote earlier. I never got that feeling again there, it was a one off. However all kinds of other things did happen. I was thinking of writing a story about it for the site in fact.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-25)
Hi RandyM - thanks, that worked. It removes that 'reload' step.
Mack
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-01-25)
RANDYM: Yeah, I'm on Firefox and usually the first time I use my favorite bookmark I get the white page, then I just try again and it works. I've gotten e-mails and messages on Facebook that some can't access the site at all. I'll pass your comment on to them and see if they can get it to work. Thank you!
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-01-25)
I use Chrome browser and it is a favorite on my bookmarks bar
(of course). For the last 2 days when I would hit the button I
Was getting a white page which told me to "reload".
Then it would bring me here.
What I did to fix it was to get here, delete the old bookmark
And then remark this as a favorite and now it is working fine.
Hope that helps somebody.
Randy
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-01-25)
Biblio, you're not alone in the inability to access the site. For me it's been sporadic, but others can't access it at all. Martin has been contacted.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-01-25)
Greetings, Dee-J.

(Sorry this is late, I wrote it about 15 hours ago, but had trouble with "the network" or something.)

As I read your narrative, I got much the same impression that Randy did: "I keep getting the feeling that it may have been something that was never human."

Now, unlike my usual questioning for details, I'm going to describe an odd phenomenon -based upon research after one of my experiences- which will make me seem like a crazy person; please bear with me.

When teens suppress their frustrations with their lives, but would *like* to lash out at everyone, that pent-up emotion can manifest itself as poltergeist energy. I DO NOT think what you experienced was a poltergeist. However, if someone has suppressed a strong psychic ability for years (possibly decades), then goes through emotional upheaval, SIMILAR phenomena can occur. It's not so much that the individual becomes a beacon for spirits, as he or she is brim-full of feelings, and they start spilling out and gathering together (like "dust bunnies" behind unmoved furniture). With enough emotional fuel, the buildup can begin to act a bit like it is a person/entity independent of the originator. However, as the moods of the living fluctuate, it can be deprived of that emotional sustenance when everyone is having a good day; thereupon it does what any hungry entity/creature/person would do: get food. [See, I said I'd sound nutty!]

Please think back to your experiences with the "roaming" coldspot/hate/anger; did this happen on the very worst days, or on days when the tensions in your home had subsided? Making everyone feel creeped out at once is a good way to spark an emotional reaction. IF I am completely off-base here, let me know that I've blundered! If my ideas seem to make sense, ask yourself the following questions, but DO NOT SHARE answers which make you feel uncomfortable.

1. Did the cold spot correlate to your mother's moods?
2a. You were a teen when this began: Were you attracting the attention of individuals who -a few years earlier- would have paid more attention to your mother?
2b. If yes, would your mother have rationalized this was petty jealousy, and suppressed it for your benefit?
2c. If yes to 2a and 2b, would your mother have become paranoid about her looks, aging, etc., even to the point of perhaps falsely suspecting/accusing your father of infidelity (and cause more tension!) based upon her irrational fears? (Very likely, such an emotional state would be exacerbated by peri- or pre-menopausal symptoms, if her age is a factor.)

The reason I'm asking these rather personal questions is that the manifestations were alert to you, but were most strongly felt in your parents' bedroom.

As I said, my guess may be WAY off, here; it's harder to work with intuition over the internet. Additionally, I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the computer to call up any pages on YGS, including your bio (I've only tried about every six minutes for the last hour!) I don't believe that your mother would have done this to harm or to upset you, if my instincts are right, but this would have been the emotional equivalent of saying something you feared might be true instead of saying what you intended to say.

Take Care,
Biblio.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-24)
Hello Dee-J
Wow! What can I say? I loved the story
Especially the part about it coming out of the bedroom and slowly moving around the home.
Since you know that nobody died there it may have been something that had been attached to the land at one time.
However, from your description I keep getting the feeling that it may have been something that was never human. Not necessarily demonic, just never human. A negative energy of sorts. Sorry for all the stress it caused you but it sounds like you didn't give up and won out in the long run and I have to say congratulations for that.
Best regard
Randy
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-24)
Hi Dee-J. Yes, some rooms just feel...off, don't they? Hard to put your finger on it. Often, it's the bright yellow curtains combined with the baby-sh*t-brown carpet that causes a sense of horror and dread to swell inside you...

But seriously...yes, some rooms and houses have this weird vibe that makes you feel uneasy. I have bought a couple of houses (and looked at many) and I ALWAYS ask the Real Estate Agents about houses that have "weird" atmospheres and that they have trouble selling. They have some great stories as they are in so many different houses all the time, often alone.

I can relate to the cold areas. About 5 years ago in a house I was renting I was getting changed in my bedroom, it was a mild day, not cold, no wind etc and as I was changing I was HIT by a block of ICY air that chilled me to the bone.

Not my imagination as I wasn't thinking "paranormal" etc, it just whooshed right up and hit me front on.

Glad to hear the activity settled away eventually.

Regards

Mack
Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-21)
Hi MOLLICALAZZARO!

Those feelings can be some of the most scariest experiences a person can have. You don't see anything there but you just know in the deepest sense of your bones that there is a ghost nearby that has complete malice towards you.

Please do elaborate on your particular experience about going in your mom's room and experiencing that feeling. Did you tell her about it? Did she ever report anything? Have you felt anything like that since? I would like to know.

Hello C2C,

The land that our house was built on was nothing but pure woods before. In 1983-1984, a year before I was born, my dad purchased the land, had the lot cleared out and our house was built. We are the first inhabitants in that spot. The trees were very tall so it is telling that if anyone had lived there before, it had to been a very VERY long time ago.

Over the years, yes, my family had become very stressed and there was a lot of emotional pain and negative energy. I am pretty sure it attracted spirits to our home. After we got over the emotional tension over the years, the activity seemed to cease over time.
C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-21)
It makes me wonder about the land the house was built on. Were your parents the first owners of the house? Was there discord or tension between family members? It seems like something there attracted a negative energy. It would be hard living with something like that. I really enjoyed your story.
MOLLICALAZZARO (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-21)
Hi Dee-J,

I completely understand that forboding feeling of visceral hatred and the subsequent need to just get out. I remember feeling it whilst visiting my mum many years ago. I went to her room to get something one evening and on entering the room wanted to leave immediately-the feeling of utter hate was every bit as tangible as actually seeing a ghost.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: