You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Bingham Light Continued

Real Ghost Stories

The Bingham Light Continued

 

Not too far from my hometown is a small community out in the bush (or "boondocks" as many of you may say) called, 'Bingham'. For almost 200 years it has been known that Bingham has had a paranormal phenomena popularly known as the, 'Bingham Light'. No one as of yet can explain what it really is but there has been numerous folk legends and theories abound to go along with the sightings that witnesses have claimed to have seen over the years.

Having had my own personal encounters with it, I have already shared my accounts in the story titled, 'The Bingham Light' (which can be found in my profile here), so if you haven't read that so far please be sure to check it out now before you continue!

Ok, assuming that you have read that story, I'm going to mention that since my first two encounters of seeing the light in 2010 I have since been out there between 30-40 times (mostly alone), but each time I was only met with disappointment. However, tonight was a different story.

It's a Friday night and I didn't feel like sitting home, but unfortunately there was really nothing else better to do at that particular time so I went riding around town solo just to see what was going on. After dark I decided for the h*ll of it that I would take a ride out to Bingham just to see if I can see this light again by chance.

Around 9:30 PM I arrived at the famous location in front of the huge corn field. I stepped out of the car with a nonchalant feeling that I would just be disappointed as usual, so I just casually called out to the light. For about 10 minutes or so (just an estimate) I stood in the dark yelling loudly out into the distance, hearing my voice echo across the huge field and into the surrounding woods. It was dark and cloudy tonight but there was just enough illumination from the hidden moon behind the clouds to allow you to see the surroundings.

As I stood there peering into the darkness, there were several times when I thought I saw something out in the distance, but I've been there enough times to know by now that the dark can play tricks on your eyes out there, so I just wanted to be sure. I waited for several more minutes as I continued to call the light.

A few minutes later I saw a very soft and pale illumination in the field and then it disappeared. I knew right then that was it. A few seconds later the illumination reappeared moving fast towards me. Being as the light doesn't glow anything around it and is very faint, it managed to get within several yards away from me without me even realizing it. I thought that by going out there so many times that I officially braved up to the light, but upon seeing that my blood just froze and I felt this strong tingle go down my spine. Something just came over me and I said, "Oh s**t!". I couldn't stand the fear any longer as I seen how it was flashing side to side like that. Its movement just overwhelmed me and I took off running to the car and drove off as quick as I could.

All at once I was scared yet happy because I finally seen the light again after so many times over the past few years of trying with no avail. Apart from that though, there really isn't much more that I can add. My sentiments remain the same from the first two times that I saw it, but explaining what it is will always remain a mystery.

Other hauntings by Dee-J

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dee-J, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-01)
UPDATE 2: 4-30-16

Whats up guys!

Tonight I went out to Bingham and ended up staying from about 10PM until 12:30AM. I do have a few videos of me in the area (though not of the light itself) but they were so long that they took up all of the remaining space on my phone, then it eventually quit recording. Sucks. With that said, I'm going to have to manually explain what happened. So here is my update for you all...

To make a VERY long story short, I seen the light twice tonight. After driving back and forth between S. Butler rd and Reedy Springs ct for about 3-4 times, there was another car out there doing the same, but they eventually left and I finally had some peace.

I rode back around to Reedy Springs ct and finally parked for several minutes, calling out to the light all the while. While I was parked and waiting, I saw several things blinking directly ahead of me in the woods on either side and coming towards my direction. I was startled at first but I could tell they were just lightning bugs as there were PLENTY out that night, so I just tried to keep my cool and waited for them to pass me by. After several minutes of me calling the light, I looked to my right at the wooded path down from the crossroads where I was parked and about 30 yrds away I saw a blueish-white light that just swooped down from behind one of the trees, and started to flash side to side and head towards the car. I knew it wasn't a lightning bug this time. This was the Bingham light! The manner in which it came from behind the trees, it really surprised me. It did so as if to say "I got you now". I immediately took off. I'm glad I was already in the car and not out there walking.

I got down the main hwy a good piece, then decided to turn around and go back. I'm not even going to lie, I get some sort of rush off of this thing. I went back down to Reedy Springs ct and made my usual turn around and then sat there in the car parked for what seemed to be about 7 minutes, then I seen the light come down the wooded path again from about the same distance as the first time. It was flashing side to side at a very fast pace and headed directly towards me. I said "Wooooooooo!" then I spun off so fast that I could smell the rubber burning from my tires.

In my last update I was stating that I was confused as to whether or not that red light I saw several months ago when I took a friend out there and recently just a few nights ago was actually the Bingham light or something else. My conclusion is that it definitely was without a doubt. Prior to any of that I have never seen the light turn red as described by many eye witness accounts, but I can definitely confirm it now. For those that don't know, it has been said that the light turns red when angered... Disturbing to say the least. I can now also confirm that the accounts which claimed that the light can be seen up close at the crossroads is also true. From what I gathered on my most recent encounters, you don't see it coming from afar like you would if you were at the field on S. Butler rd. When you are at the crossroads it seems to come out almost right up on you. I would advise anyone going to the crossroads to be extra careful with that thing, especially if you got there on foot. What gives me the chills is thinking back on that night when I was standing out there with my friend, and I seen the red light slowly creeping up to us through the woods at about 20 yrds away. It only walked a few steps before it finally stayed there a few minutes and then disappeared. The whole time I was trying to figure out what it was but I pretty much just brushed it off. My friend never even saw it. I can't believe I let the light get that close to us that night!

Well folks, with all of that said my curiosity with this thing has finally been satisfied. I can now rest easily knowing that I've had more experiences with it. I always heard that once you see the Bingham light you feel that you have to keep going back. So am I still going back for more? D*** right! The fun never stops;-)
Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-30)
Hi all,

I just wanted to provide an update on this thing, so be prepared for a long read. Last night I went out there again and noticed something strange, but before I tell you that particular story I'm going to rewind a little bit and go back to a few months ago when I took a friend out there. We at first went to S. Butler rd (the dirt road where the huge corn field is) and we didn't see the light there, so we drove around to the other side at Reedy Springs ct (where the famous crossroads are, the location where most witnesses have supposedly seen the light up close. When you see stories online about the Bingham light, this is the most commonly mentioned location).

Just in case you are confused, the whole area is connected by a long dirt road. If I had a way of providing an overhead map of the area it would be easier to explain, but for now I can only give you a description... Right off the main hwy (hwy 34) and coming onto the start of S. Butler rd, you go down 1 mile until you reach the third and largest corn field. When you are in front of the field you are basically at an intersection. You can either keep going to your left and eventually go past the field (I don't know where that leads as I haven't been that far), or you can branch off and keep going to your right. If you go to your right (which I advise that it is best to walk it or have a bike or ATV as sometimes this path is piled up high with dirt or have deep mud holes, but occasionally it is ok to drive with a car), you will ride along the field a good distance until you pass the tree line and enter a deeply wooded area. Back up in the wooded area are a few cuts on either side. I haven't been back up in the cuts to see where they lead. Anyway, if you keep going straight up the path you will eventually reach the famous crossroads at Reedy Springs ct. At these crossroads you can make a left and it will lead through a short hollow and at the end is a very old, yet currently occupied wooden shack. Strange. If you make a right at the crossroads and keep going down a bit, you will eventually see a yellow gate on the left side. Keep going and you will come to where the dirt road ends and you will turn back onto the main hwy. That yellow gate I mentioned, if you duck under it, it leads to the swamp but it is a rough 40-something minute hike on foot.

Ok, hopefully that description gave you a good visual on how that whole general area is. As I said, all of it is basically connected and is more or less laid out like a big square.

Getting back to the story now, while on Reedy Springs ct, my friend and I were calling the light for a while but we didn't see anything. However, what I did notice several yards away from where we were standing, back up in the wooded area in the cut, I seen a red light that was seemingly coming towards us then it stopped and disappeared. At first I thought that was the Bingham light but I noticed that this light didn't appear like the Bingham light normally does. It looked just like a red reflector like you would see on a bicycle. I started to tell my friend what I just saw but I dismissed it due to uncertainty. Nothing happened afterwards and eventually we left.

Ok, fast forwarding to just last night... I went out there solo and drove to the huge field on S. Butler rd.
As usual I turned the car around for a quick exit, parked, and switched off the lights, but this time I didn't get out of the car. I lost some of my bravery after seeing the light on my last visit lol, so I just rolled down the window and made the call to the light from inside the car.

Not too long afterwards I seen a blueish-white light way off in the distance walking parallel to the tree line going to the right. It startled me because it didn't look like how the Bingham light normally looks, and it definitely wasn't headlights from a car or ATV. It was much brighter than the Bingham light usually is but still didn't shine or light up anything. It was also a steady glow with no flashing or swinging movements. What was strange is that this light traversed that area at a very steady pace, unlike the rate a human could walk. I seen that and kind of freaked, so I drove off quickly.

As I was coming off the dirt road and about to turn onto hwy 34, I was about to make a right to go back home, but I decided to make a left and go down to Reedy Springs ct to the crossroads. I got to the crossroads, turned my car around for a fast exit, then turned the lights off. Just as I did while on the other side, I stayed in the car and just rolled down the windows, making the call to the light from inside the car while also making sure to look all around me just in case it snuck up on me.

After a few minutes, I was looking down the dirt path that led back into the wooded area, and I started to become aware that there was a small red light coming toward me at a very sneaky pace. After a moment of trying to figure out what it is, I realized that it was the same light I had seen before when I took my friend there that night. After that I noticed that the light started coming up the path heading fast towards the car. Although it was several yards away, I suddenly got a bad vibe off of it. After that I high-tailed it out of there!

I am still not exactly sure what I saw. The red light looked to be about the same size as the blueish-white light I saw from the other side at the field, leading me to believe it was the same light. I heard that the Bingham light does turn red when it's seemingly "angered", so that could've very well been the Bingham light. However, the thing that confuses me the most is that it just didn't appear and move like the Bingham light normally does though. It all just seemed so strange. I'm going to try to go out there again tonight to see if I can come up with a more sound conclusion.

I will keep you all updated.
Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-28)
Rookdygin: Interesting thoughts there. My reason to agree with you comes from the fact that many witnesses have claimed to have seen the light change to a red color when they cuss at it, indicating anger. Personally I have never seen it change colors, but if what they say is true then that would indicate that the light expresses feelings of some sort. So the man's spirit being manifested as the light he was carrying at the supposed time of death seems rather plausible in that case.

Btw, when I posted my first experience (s) the legend behind this light was included. Feel free to check it out in my profile!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-28)
I found this comment interesting,

"It does seem quite unbelievable that a lantern could have a spirit form. Yet, there it is. I still don't quite understand what it truly is though. The legend has it that it was a man that got killed in the area while holding his lantern."

I agree that a 'lantern' having a spirit form is unlikely I pose this question,

Could the spirit be so focused on what it was doing 'with' the lantern when they passed the 'shape' or 'form' of their manifestation is that of a lantern's light? Think about all the 'Haunted Train Track' experiences out there, so many of them report seeing the light of a lantern and the facts of the area support that a 'switchman' or 'engineer' with a lantern was trying to prevent an accident or was checking the tracks when killed? I guess what I am saying is basically this... Does the 'focus' of the spirit 'shape' its physical manifestation when it has the energy to do so?

I remember the O/P sharing their experience with this light, however I do not recall if the 'legend' of 'who/what' it may be was included. If not could you fill us in?

Respectfully,

Rook
Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-27)
RedWolf: I used a camera on one particular visit but it was useless. The light isn't bright enough to be caught on camera. It's so faint that you can barely see it with your eyes, which makes it all the more scary because it can easily come up on you without you even realizing it. It's also not a steady glow. It always appear in flashes.

Roylynx: It does seem quite unbelievable that a lantern could have a spirit form. Yet, there it is. I still don't quite understand what it truly is though. The legend has it that it was a man that got killed in the area while holding his lantern. Some theories suggest swamp gas, ball lightening (both theories which I personally ruled out), or maybe a will-o-wisp. The way that thing moves though, it's just as if it really is a person out there walking with a lantern.

Tweed: I am glad you enjoyed it! The first story gives the full picture, so in order for this story to make since reading the first part is essential.

I don't particularly believe in elemental spirits but with this thing here I'm open to the possibilites. I agree that what you call it doesn't matter much. The legend states that you yell out John or Bill Bingham. However, I got into the habit of just yelling "Bingham Light, come out!", due to uncertainty of the real name.

I've cussed it a few times but lately I've been mindful that it is a spirit, and the way how this light is it has a tendency of just coming out of nowhere, and if it ever sneaks up on you there's no telling what it could do if you anger it. I'll yell random things at it sometimes just to get it to come out but I stopped cussing at it. Lol.

To answer both you and roylynx about the filming, yes, there have been many different paranormal groups and even the local news to go out there and try to film it and the area in general, but the light never came out for them, so they all thought it was just a hoax. As I mentioned before in my comment to RedWolf though, the light isn't bright enough to be caught on film. It doesn't glow or shine anything around it. It's very faint and ghostly. There are several videos on youtube claiming to be the Bingham light. They are all lies.

If you guys have anymore questions about it, please feel free to ask!

Thanks for reading!
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-27)
Dee-J
Why haven't you ever brought a camera with you. You don't need a fancy one, a pay as you go will do, mine even takes video.
Red
roylynx (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-27)
Very interesting, lanterns and spirits did not really match up for me, but reading this I am willing to change my mind now. Do you think anyone can experience the same thing? And like Tweed had asked is there a film about it?
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-27)
Dee J, This is completely fascinating. Somehow I missed the first part of this when it was published, so both parts are new to me.

I wonder if this is some kind of nature spirit or elemental. It probably doesn't matter what you call out to it, so long as you're loud. I know you've cussed it a bit but have you ever just yelled random words?

Also do you know if paranormal groups have ever filmed it before?

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: