You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Mysterious Pillion Rider

Real Ghost Stories

The Mysterious Pillion Rider

 

The experience was really chilling at that point of time when it happened. The year was 1986. I was just recruited in one of the banks of the country and was posted to Coonoor branch, situated in the Ooty hills in Tamilnadu. I was enjoying my stay in Nilgiris Mountains and was having great fun among friends and roommates, many of whom were bachelors staying away from their families. In those days, owning a two wheeler was a luxury and we used to borrow from our colleagues or friends to roam around Coonoor.

The place Upper Coonoor is really beautiful and we used to go around places quite regularly and especially in weekends, when we have enormous time to spend.

The incident happened near Bedford circle just in the vicinity of Coonoor Guest house. I borrowed a scooter from a mind of mine and went to meet some of my friends in Upper Coonoor. It was around 6 o'clock in the evening. I stopped over to have a cup of tea in the petty shop in the Bedford circle. The shop still exists to this day and they serve one of the best varieties of tea even now.

After spending about 10 minute's time in the tea shop, I went to the scooter. I had a weird feeling as if the scooter got heavier than it used to be. I just pushed it for a couple of yards before I could kick start. I thought initially that it was due to the fact that I was in a hill station. But the fact was that I was going downhill. Still I managed to start the vehicle and climbed on it. There I really had the feeling. It was as if someone was riding in the scooter as a pillion-rider only that I could only feel but could not see anybody.

Initially, I never felt any fear but only I was thinking about the fact as to why I was experiencing weight behind me. I also looked back and saw nothing. I would have travelled about a kilometer and I was passing through the pond that would take me to Mount Road and to where I was staying. When I just crossed the part of the pond, I felt relieved and could not feel any weight. It was as if someone had got down abruptly from the scooter and I was feeling very light.

I came to my room and shared my experience with the roommates. They were joking at me. Next day, in the office, I discussed the matter with my colleagues. One of them, Mr. Rajalingam, said that a couple years ago, he had a similar experience in the same vicinity, from the Bedford circle to the pond. He also said that one of the officers, who were working in our bank, Mr. Sudhakar, had the same kind of experience and feeling at the same place.

Subsequently, one of my colleagues, Mr. Srinivasan, who was working at Coonoor subsequent to my transfer from the branch, also experienced the same phenomenon. But, all the incidents happened between 6 and 7 in the evening and at different intervals.

Why I wanted to share this experience was that recently, I met one person called, Mr. Muthukumaran, who is presently working in Telephones. He was working at Coonoor for a period of 2 years from 2007 to 2009. Muthukumaran had the same feeling and in fact, he could remember the date as 15.6.2009.

So, for the past several years, this phenomenon goes on. I made some enquiries even when I was in Coonoor several years ago. They said that it may be because in that pond, many people drown and die quite frequently and that may be the reason for these weird happening. But nobody got hurt because of these incidents.

Other hauntings by sds

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sds, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-15)
Hello darthvedor, I do not think so. Because after the pond, the road I used to take was much steeper and downhill. It is a hill station. But many people experienced it and that I also mentioned it in the narrative.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
darthvedor (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-08)
Since you mentioned you were traveling (motion) downhill the road, you started experiencing it, I believe it's the effect of Newton's third law of motion, especially downhill. Once you cross the pond I think the downhill slope becomes somewhat straight, causing the third law of motion to weaken. This explains why the vehicle becomes lighter from this junction onwards.
Qua (39 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
I've heard bout ghosts taking lives along the road but this one sounds harmless. I am guessing that the spirit is reliving what it went through before its life ended at the pond. The spirit appears to have been stuck back in time and continues to repeat the same cycle until it is free.
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
ghosts taking lifts?...
This phenomenon simply may be something to do with the altitude
By the way, Which is that tea shop?
alokkumar58 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-11)
The same incident happened with my uncle too, but in his case he gave lift to the ghost & after passing a particular spot, it disappered...
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-27)
sds,
I have no knowledge of the area or the phenomenon you are referencing; but IF you were all experiencing the same thing after the same type of activity it leads me to believe that it was not paranormal... Just good tea.

Lou
Sharp3003 (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
Guess something just wanted a ride. It's always nice when you find out others have had the same experience as you did.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: