You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: His Favorite

Real Ghost Stories

His Favorite

 

I believe what they say about young children and animals seeing things we adults cannot always see. This incident was validation to me that this is true.

My dad past away when my youngest daughter was only 4. They had a really special bond, my dad adored my little girl and spoiled her rotten. She never wanted to leave his side, most of the time preferring to be with him instead of playing with her brother and sister. My daughter was taking ballet at the time, she would come home from her practice and dance for my dad. He was very patient with her and would applaud her and tell her she was a beautiful ballerina. They would always take their meals together and she would talk endlessly, often telling him stories of fairies and unicorns she would make up.

My dad had a parrot that would talk and do some tricks but would only do them for him. One of his tricks was that when my dad put his finger out and tell him "give me your foot", the parrot would put his foot in my dad's finger. He never did it for anyone, not even my daughter who was always at my dad's side. The parrot's name was "Guero" which translates to "blond", he was named this because he had yellow feathers on his head.

I was really concerned for my daughter after my dad past away thinking that it was going to be especially hard for her. I was dreading having the talk with her about why she wasn't going to see "Daddy Mel" anymore. I had already told my two oldest and decided I needed to tell her now. It was just me and her in my bedroom and I started by telling her that I had something to tell her about Daddy Mel, I explained to her that he had to leave to go to a place where he wasn't going to be sick anymore. She interrupted me and said "yes, I know, he told me not to be sad". I thought maybe he had talked to her before he passed since he had been sick for a while but then I wasn't' so sure.

Days following our talk we started noticing that she would go off on her own and would be laughing and talking to someone, every time we came in the room she would stop what she was doing and when asked who she was talking to she would say "nobody". We saw her dancing a few times and saying "look what I can do" and then bowing to someone we couldn't see. She liked to go in empty rooms to be by herself and I would have to look for her and bring her out. She also didn't mourn like my other two children which were just a few years older than she was. The other two would constantly say they missed Daddy Mel and would be sad but not my little one. She was as happy as she ever was.

One day, I woke up in the middle of the night and needed to use the restroom. On my way there, I noticed there was light coming from downstairs and I heard someone talking and laughing. I was scared so I stayed at the top of the stairs listening. I heard my little girl saying "Oh, Guero that's not fair! Why will you only give him your foot and not me!". I started to walk real quietly down the stairs and noticed that the parrot had his foot extended like it was resting on something, this made my daughter giggle and clap. Then Guero started "dancing", he would walk up and down bobbing his head back and forth, something he would only do at my dad's request.

What I felt next was so overwhelming I ran back upstairs and buried my face in my pillow and cried my eyes out. Part of me was scared even though I knew that she was seeing and talking to my dad I also felt like I didn't want to intrude. I remember I fell asleep, I didn't go get her and didn't see her until morning. I was debating on what to tell her, I was afraid of what she was going to tell me she was seeing.

I finally got the nerve to talk to her a few days later. I asked her who she and Guero where playing with the other day. She looked at me and said "I don't know" so I let her be. It kept bugging me and I was constantly following her around the house and watching her every move. Finally, one day I asked her about it again and she said "he doesn't come anymore", I asked her "who?", and she replied "no one, can I go play now?" I never got a straight answer from her.

Guero stopped eating and about two months after my dad past away we found him dead in his cage. All 3 of my children cried non-stop for the parrot. I never really liked Guero, he was loud, mean and obnoxious but I still cry when I remember him.

To me, it was one more thing from my father that was gone.

Other hauntings by Haven

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Haven, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-13)
Twilight, my dad had Guero for about 6 years. He was little when he got him. Guero was not sick and he was very well taken care of, we don't know the reason he died. We also heard they live a long time so we were surprised when we found him dead in his cage one morning.

I get really worried and paranoid when it comes to my youngest daughter. One reason is because she has had sleep paralysis and has woken up screaming, she says it's nightmares but I think it's more than that because I remember going through something similar. Another reason I keep a close eye on her is because a couple of years ago she started hurting herself. Her dad and I were going through a really bad time and we lost sense of our priorities, our children. She would not tell us how much the fighting was affecting her, she didn't looked depressed, to us she looked like her normal self. Until one day, my oldest daughter came to me and told me she was worried about her sister because she had found some pictures her sister had taken of her legs. She said at first it looked like she had used a red marker to write on her legs but that the more she looked at it the more it looked like they were cuts. I was so shaken, I'm crying as I type this just remembering. I couldn't believe this was happening with my baby. I had heard of teenagers doing this but my daughter was only 12! I got her help and she has never done it again but I have never stopped worrying.

Thank you so much for your comments and advise. ❤ ❤ ❤
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-12)
Haven, I truly feel for you when it comes to your daughter, on her not wanting to come to you about what she experiences. As a mother, I know how it feels to want your children to trust in you, and to be able to come to you about what's troubling them, paranormal or not. From what little you've told us about your childhood experiences, and not being believed, I can only imagine how it must bother you, to want to be there for your daughter, but her not wanting to come to you over what she's going through. I hate that it's like that with her, but hopefully in time, she'll finally come around, and start coming to you about it. All you can really do for now for her, is let her know that that door is opened with you, and whenever she's ready, you'll be there waiting for her. I'm curious about your father's parrot, and his passing not long after your father passed. I remember reading before, and will relook into it in a minute, about the life spand of parrots, and if I remember correctly, I want to say that they can live up to 70+ years? My question being is how long did your father have his bird, and if you knew about its age when it passed? Not that my question has anything to do with anything, I was just curious on it.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-12)
Hi, Jubeele -

I hope you are right about Guero. We were very sad when he died, because we felt that he missed my father and was heart broken that he wasn't around anymore. "Love does endure beyond the veil", beautiful words and so true. Thank you for sharing them. ❤
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-12)
Hi, Twilight

Thank you so much for your kind words, as always.

To this day, my daughter does not talk about what she was seeing right after her grandfather passed away. I also know that she has seen and heard other things that she does not like to talk about. She reminds me of me, I never use to talk to my family about the things I saw. Part of it was that I didn't want to scare my mother, another part was that I had tried before and was ridiculed. I try to make my daughter feel she can talk to me and will be believed, still I get nothing. The only thing she will admit to is nightmares and sleep paralysis but I know it's more than that. Maybe one day she will share her experiences with me.

Take care.
Jubeele (26 stories) (896 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-02-11)
Hi Haven, it's heartwarming to read about your father's relationship with his favourite grandchild. 😊

Children, in their innocence, tend to say the first thing that comes to mind. I had the same thought as Twilight that maybe she had been told not to say anything about him. Possibly to protect her from others who might not understand. It could also be to avoid reminding you and the rest of the family of your loss, at a time when things were still so raw and overwhelming.

As for Guero, maybe he'd gone to keep your father company. Who knows? Maybe somewhere, in a bright-lit place, he's still giving your father his foot and dancing away.

Love does endure beyond the veil. Our loved ones are never gone as long as we have them in our hearts. ❤
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-02-11)
Haven, thank you for sharing such a beautiful experience. Hearing how close your youngest daughter was to your father, makes me happy that she wasn't completely heartbroken to hear of his death (not saying that it still didn't hurt her), because she knew he was still by her side. I love to think that your father choose to stick around for awhile, to help her get through his death. If only we all could have experiences like this with our lost loved ones, giving us a sense of peace in their passing. I'm curious if your daughter not telling you who she was talking to, could maybe be because she was told to say this, from your father 😕 or maybe she knew that it wasn't exactly something normal, so she didn't think anyone would understand, and would try to tell her otherwise of what she knew she was seeing. Either way, I'm glad she was able to find peace in his passing, and now can look back on that sad memory, as something amazing she got to experience with her grandfather. I'm sorry for the loss of your father, as I know the pain, and I'm glad you choose to share this experience with us here, as I really enjoyed reading about it ❤
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-11)
Haven - Thanks for your response.

We all deal with things in our own way 😊

Regards, Melda
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-02-11)
Hi, Melda -

I don't really know why my daughter did not want to tell us who she was interacting with. It could very well be her way of dealing with the loss as you say. What made me believe that she was seeing my dad was Guero's reaction. Guero was lifting his foot like he did when my dad would ask him to, he was also 'dancing' and only did it in my dad's presence.

To answer your question as to why I left her there. Very simple: I did not sense she was in any danger and when I walked halfway down the stairs and saw her it felt as I was intruding. I understand it might be hard for some people to understand. I just didn't see or feel she was in any danger, she was home, I knew she would go back to bed when she ready. I let my children wander around the house, I didn't have the need to keep them with me at all times. Also, Guero was in a cage and harmless. But, most importantly, I felt that she was with my dad and she was protected.

Thanks for your comments!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-02-11)
Haven - A very interesting account about your little girl but do you think that she was actually seeing her grandfather or was she perhaps play-acting to deal with her loss in her own way? Was she perhaps seeing somebody else? I'm not discounting the fact that your dad might actually have been there.

What surprises me a bit is that she wasn't prepared to tell you who she was talking to.

Then Guero. In the middle of the night you actually left your daughter there with the parrot and an unknown presence, which you obviously believed to be your father.

I have to tell you though that Guero wasn't the only mean parrot around. Parrots hate me and bite me as soon as they come into contact with me. I've come to the conclusion that they like men because they walk all over my husband, happily whistling or chatting to him, as well as other men, which I have in fact witnessed. They can indeed be mean-spirited birds. I don't think they like women.

Perhaps you can expand a little on why you think your daughter was interacting with your father and also why you left her at midnight with the bird. I do think that it is very possible that her grandfather was indeed present but why her reticence to reveal that to you?

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: