You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Big Black Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Big Black Dog

 

When I was around 15 or 16 years old, I was alone at home because my family had gone to a party. My mom was very hesitant to let me stay by myself because they were going to be out pretty late. I remember pleading with her and telling her I needed to get some homework done and I didn't feel well to be out at a party. She finally agreed to let me stay on the condition that I stay inside, didn't answer the door for anyone and if anyone were to call on the phone I didn't tell them I was home alone. I agreed to all, so my parents and siblings left around 6:00pm with the promise to return at midnight. I was ecstatic to have the house all to myself, I had the music on full-blast, made a mess in the kitchen and stayed on the phone with my best friend.

Next door to my friend lived one of the popular kids from school who had friends over and they were hanging out with skateboards. My friend was looking out the window while she was on the phone with me telling me what they were doing. She kept insisting I come over, she only lived a couple of blocks from me. I made the bad decision to go over to her house, I told myself that I was going to pretend to just drop something off to her and maybe just say for 10 minutes and then run back home. It was early enough, I could do this... Well, I got to her house and when she saw me approaching she snuck out and we stayed talking for a few minutes. Of course the guys saw us and told us to come over to hang with them. I remember the flirting, the giggling and trying to ride on their skateboards, I was having the time of my life. One of the neighbors came out and told us to be quiet, we were making a lot of noise and it was late. That's when it suddenly hit me, I was in so much trouble! I told everyone I had to go and took off running like crazy.

All the way over to my house I was praying that my dad's car wasn't parked in the driveway. I remember running and mumbling "please, please, please don't let them be there", and then when I was close and didn't see a car I changed to "thank you, thank you, thank you". Well, my happiness was short lived, blocking my way to get into my yard was a HUGE black dog.

I use to be afraid of dogs, I never had one as a pet growing up, it also didn't help that this dog was huge, looked pissed-off and was growling at me. I crossed the street and kept walking thinking that I could go around him but it was as if he knew my intentions and his were to not let me pass. I stood there for a long while trying to think of a plan but in every one of them I ended up being mauled by this giant dog. Then I would think about how my parents were coming and what would happen to me for disobeying and I wasn't sure what was worse! I finally went with being mauled to death and decided to go for it. I crossed the street with my head down and my fingers in my ears, I was shaking so bad. I never lifted my head but I knew I was at the door of the gate, I opened it and walked in the yard. I knew I wasn't safe yet because the fence was not that high and somehow I knew the dog would have no trouble jumping over it. I kept walking with chills running up and down my spine and finally got to the front door.

I made it inside the house intact, shut the door, and immediately went to the window to look out and see what the dog was doing. I didn't see the dog and was on my tip toes trying to look over the fence, that's when I noticed the headlights of my dad's car pulling in the driveway. My nosy sister noticed me and ratted me out to my parents. Of course they asked what I was doing looking out the window so I told them that I had heard a dog barking and had seen a big black dog out there. They told me they didn't see anything and that it was probably a lost or stray because our neighbors didn't have any big dogs. The dog would have had to go inside a neighbor's yard because we lived on a dead end street and my family didn't see it anywhere on the street when they arrived.

That night was the first and last time I saw that dog and maybe it wasn't anything paranormal but I sure learned my lesson. This is one of the stories that I've never told my family because I know I did something I wasn't supposed to and even now as an adult I know I would still be scolded by my mother.

Let me know what your thoughts are, paranormal or just a lost dog? By the way, I'm 5'7 and this dog would probably be as high as my waist (standing on all fours).

Other hauntings by Haven

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Haven, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-09-05)
Hmmm, black dogs seem to be common in many ghost stories. I'm glad you weren't hurt. Maybe the dog was there to warn you after all.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-04)
Hi, Sebastian -

Welcome back, nice to hear from you.

I had not heard of the black shuck before, but found an image of one online and it resembles what I saw. I also googled Moddy Dhoo as suggested by some posters. If what I saw was indeed a black shuck or a Mddy Dhoo then it traveled a very long distance to teach me a lesson. But, I got to say, it was a lesson well learned. I never pulled a stunt like that again 😨
InTheTARDIS (2 stories) (14 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-04)
Hey Haven,
Yes finally in back. Too much work kept me of the site.

Here is my opinion and I could be wrong considering I've never heard of them outside of the U.K. But it sounds like you may have met a black shuck. A large black dog spirit that's not usually friendly. Often seen with red glowing eyes but not always. They were said to be spirits of people who were murdered and their killers hadn't been caught, others say they were spirits of highway men. Others seem to think their connected to the fair folk (I'm sorry I can't believe that) or are something to do with spirits who protect the land. Look it up on google. They aren't often seen but tend to scare the hell out of anyone who does spot them. Some can grow as big as a welsh mountain pony. You said your one came up to your hip when it was on all fours. Sounds like it was a decent size one anyway.

Maybe it was there to warn you not to go out when your parents had told you to stay in. I don't think it was intentionally dangerous as shucks aren't known to attack but are well known for growling and trying to frighten people. I think something wanted to make sure you were home safe before your family got back. And wasn't to pleased when you were so late.

Thanks,
Sebastian ❤
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-27)
Haven ~
Without hearing more I'd go with a Newfoundland. I saw one this weekend and it was a right beast. Shoulders came up to his masters waist. But it could well be anything.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-26)
Hi, Twilight - Yes, you have to wonder about the timing. And, I certainly learned my lesson. I'm going to read up on the lors about the black dogs, I'm really interested in finding out more.

Thank you!
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-26)
Hi, Melda - I never pulled anything like this again! In fact, I remember I didn't want to be outside in my front yard after dark even with my parents' permission.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-26)
Hi, Valkricry - thanks for the link!

The only other think I remember of this dog is that its coat was so black it appeared smooth and even shiny. It was completely black, its paws were thick and I have never seen a dog that big since.

If this was a lesson, then it served its purpose. I never pulled anything like this again.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-26)
Hi Jubeele - The dog seemed huge to me, to you it would be the size of a horse!

Whatever the purpose of the dog, I learned my lesson.

Thank you!
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-26)
Hi, Rex-T - I'm not very familiar with dog breeds so I can't really say. I know what a rotweiler looks like and this was not it, the head/face was thinner, it had short, smooth, very black hair. The eyes did glow but only when I stood at certain angles, the damn thing never lost eye contact with me.

I'm not familiar with the Cerberus or Moddey Dhoo but my interest was been piqued so I will be doing some research later.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the dog was, it did not seem friendly, it was growling. But, it is weird that it did not attack when I crossed the street. I kept my head down and my fingers in my ears as I made my way to the gate and then the door, I don't know why it let me just pass.

Glad to know you understand why I chose to be mauled - LOL.

P.S. We are out of harm's way of the fires, thank god.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-26)
Hola Lady-Glow - Oh, yes, the dreaded chancla. My mother's chancla was special, it was the flying type, I think it even went around corners, no matter how fast we ran it always caught us - LOL.

I don't know what the Cerberus is, I'm researching it.

Thanks!
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-11-26)
Hi, RCRuskin - don't know what that is but I'm looking it up.

Thanks!
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (308 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-25)
I'd think of it more as a type of paranormal happening. Only because of the timing it choose to present itself to you, as you were trying to rush home, before getting caught. Like some on here mentioned, I've heard about other stories and lors about a black dog. So there could be many reasons as to why this one showed itself to you. I feel if it were actually real, it wouldn't have let you walk by it, without doing anything. Especially with you saying how it was growling at you when you saw it. Whatever it's purpose was that night, I think it definitely taught you a lesson on disobeying your parents 😁
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-25)
I'm of the everything happens for a reason mindset. I think something sent the real or paranormal dog to tell you to be good and listen to your parents. But it sure sounds like a fun day you had. 😁
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-23)
Haven - Paranormal or not, that was one huge dog 😨

I bet you didn't sneak out much after that for fear of encountering this scary animal again. I can't help wondering whether it was there to show you the error of your ways 😆

Regards, Melda
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+4
5 years ago (2018-11-22)
RC mentions the Moddey Dhoo, which comes from the Isle of Man. The story is rather fascinating, and for those interested, you can find it here: http://www.isleofman.com/welcome/history/mythology-and-folklore/the-moddey-dhoo/

The dog you describe was certainly of the enormous variety, and something that size should have been at least noticed. How ever between his coloring and the hour, is it possible he hid in shadows?
I ask because the route I walk to work is often still quite dark (sun isn't up yet) and there is this large black mutt I pass by. He appears to be the odd mix of Rott/St.Bernard, anyway really big. Before their motion detector light snaps on, I can hardly see him, because he's just a darker dark than what I'm walking in, if that makes sense, and I wouldn't even notice him if I wasn't looking and he wasn't barking.
On the other hand, who can truly say? You've that whole timing of it. Almost as if someone (something?) said, "Ok you need a lesson, before you get into real trouble."
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+6
5 years ago (2018-11-22)
Well Haven, seeing as I'm only 5'1", that monster dog would have no problem chomping on me! There are a number of dog breeds that grow to a fair size though.

What struck me was the timing of the dog when it appeared. Just in time to meet you when you came home. Plus you felt guilty at disobeying your mom. Whether or not it was a supernatural animal, its appearance certainly brought home the importance of doing the right thing. Perhaps that was the purpose of the black dog appearing in your yard... God and the Universe move in mysterious ways.

Glad to hear you and your family are safe from those fires in your part of the world. 😊
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2018-11-21)
Hello Haven,

Hope you are well, and those bush fires are leaving you and family alone.

I'm left wondering what type of dog this hound resembled. That is, a Rottweiler (short hair, floppy ears), an Alsatian (long narrow head, pointed ears), a Wolf, etc. Were the eyes glowing?

I understand that this didn't happen "yesterday", so maybe there are still features that stand out which may point to an answer in Black Dog Mythology and Lore. The range of spirits, demons and guardians is awesome, from Hell Hounds, Cerberus, Moddey Dhoo (of Peel Castle), to Guardian Spirits or even a naughty puppy that was out for adventure!

Two things stood out for me. One was that you were thanking a higher power and two; it made you cross the road. So, was there something in front of you that meant you harm, which the dog was trying to protect you from or was this spirit trying to slow you up from getting home and getting into trouble? I'd discount the stray dog theory, as dogs usually behave like that when they are trying to protect someone, something or their property.

The third thing that struck me (usually on the back of my legs) was the cane handle of mum's feather duster when I gave her a "bit of lip" in the heat of the moment. I'd elect to be mauled by a dog rather than mum's alternative any day.

Rex-D
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2018-11-21)
It's hard to say if it was the Cerberus or just a dog in steroids, I'm glad you didn't have an encounter with your Mother's chancla (flip flop) after disobeying your parents instructions.

Thanks for sharing.❤
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-21)
A Moddy Dhoo? I hope I'm spelling that right. When I first started getting into ghost stories, the Black Dog was one of my favorite sorts of specters.

It was probably just a stray, but without more data, couldn't say.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: