You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Army Man In The Office?

Real Ghost Stories

Army Man In The Office?

 

As I've mentioned in previous stories I work in the garment district of New York City, and have had experiences where I've seen something out the corner of my eye or in one of the neighboring office windows that shouldn't be there. A very jarring one of those occurences happened recently. We'd been having a relatively tense week at our office so this almost seemed like a welcome relief. There is one window directly across from my desk, straight line of sight, whose office has had no inhabitants since we started working there. Never seen anything in that window and never thought much of it, but during a particularly stressful moment, I noticed a man staring out of it. The place was desolate otherwise.

Then I noticed that this man was not wearing a normal work uniform or anything that would be appropriate for a professional environment. Instead, it appeared he was wearing military fatigues. Strange I thought. When I looked back over to confirm that there was a Navy man in that desolate window, there was no one standing there. I have never seen anyone looking out that particular window before or since. I was a bit shaken up by that sight and everyone else I encountered that day said I looked off.

I'd been racking my brain over the next few hours who it could have possibly been. I was thinking that maybe the building served another purpose during WW2, but then another solid thought hit me. I remembered my mom telling me many years ago that her father, who died when I was very young, had worked in the garment district. He had also served in the Navy breifly during the later years of WW2, although he did not see any combat. Would it make any sense for my Grandpa to reveal himself during a random hectic work day and from such a distance? Not sure if that would make sense to me, but maybe you guys can lend some insights? Who or what else could it have possibly been and what could it mean?

Other hauntings by sherm784

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sherm784, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-07-08)
Thank you Rhino ~ I'm a CG vet but worked with navy personnel as a contractor up until 13 years ago. So I'm not totally up an modern uniforms...
Rhino06 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-07-07)
I have two thoughts on this I'd like to share. First, if it gives you comfort for your Grandfather checking in on you when you were having a trying day, then appreciate the positive that the after thought gave you.

Second, what you described as "fatigues" may have been current issue, Navy Work Utilities type II (Urban) or similar brand new issue type III These are tan and green mottled blob type patterned. (Cuddle bear was right about fleet personnel wearing the camo blue) The type II & III are worn by Navy expeditionary forces, like SEALS. They are sometimes tasked with things like making a site survey for executive protection details in advance of a VIP visit, and to determine if the route they are planning to use or a place for a meeting has issues like vacant buildings in an industrial area.
Hope this helps, only you know what you felt😎
-Rhino06
sherm784 (19 stories) (27 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-07-06)
Interesting! Thanks for sharing, it helps a lot. So it's unlikely that this was Grandpa, but still strange.
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-01)
I'm not sure what you saw, but the navy WWII working uniform was a denim coloured shirt with dark blue slacks and the dixie up cover (hat). Fatigues are a more modern uniform for the Navy and the Coast Guard. The Army Fatigues are green or camouflage in a variety colours. Navy Camo is blue based.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: