You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: His Name Is George

Real Ghost Stories

His Name Is George

 

I am going to give you a brief description of my home I grew up in for those who may not have been told before. I lived in rural backwoods Maine all my life until moving to Tucson; we had 2.3 acres of land and it was covered in trees and old accident leftovers (i.e. Shoes, bumpers, glass, etc.). Now the road I lived on there was two graveyards, the dates went from undated-1782 all the way to 1995. Now ordinarily yes very, very creepy! What made it worse? I do believe I have mentioned this before, was that there was the creepiness when fog came in, it would never and I mean NEVER go into my neighbor's yards just into mine.

As time went on I have written a few stories that have gone on in that home, there was one spirit that we loved having around. This was George, he was buried in one of the grave sites and yes, we did research on him and found out so much good info! He was the first freed slave in the town I lived in and served in the civil war, had a beautiful family, and was buried with his beloved wife of many years. We did not know anything about him before but when funny things started to happen not bad just as if pranking us and everyone thought it was someone else one day, my mom said, "oh no it's just George." I asked her who he was and she said, "oh he is the man that enjoys our company and visits us often." I was a little unnerved at first but then knowing it was a good spirit did not worry me at all.

Before moving out of my family home, I knew he was a good spirit and he did protect us from many bad, BAD spirits, but I knew I would miss him. To this day I still think of the great things he did to just get a scare or make us laugh, one in particular I will never forget. I was going through a pretty deep depression (before my closet story) and I no longer knew what to do to cheer myself up, I tried everything. One day my radio (unplugged so it should have not been on) played this old blues music (and I LOVE blues music when I am upset) and I could not help but smile and sing along and that kept me in a great mood for a long time. I did not let the fact that my radios turned on without being plugged in bother me after I heard the music because I knew it was George trying to help me.

Sorry if it is a bit scattered I just did the best that I could remember all of this and just remembering that song now even puts a smile on my face.

Blessed Be

Other hauntings by Mannerizms

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mannerizms, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-13)
Thank you Dan, we hear so many ghost stories lately that are scary I thought at least the regulars would like a break as I have enjoyed sharing any and all of my experiences, I really do need to write more, I don't have as many as I would like posted. But Very glad you enjoyed

Blessed Be ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-13)
Mannerizms, This is a great account I also enjoy a ghost story that isn't scary, it's good to hear of the more subtle accounts.
I hope George has passed over but if he hasnt that as you mentioned it isn't always a bad thing, the choice will still be his own in the end.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-11)
I have thought about it, but my mom let me know before she sold the house she made sure he was released and passed over, but she still thinks that he might be following them, not a bad thing huh?

I like my story not being scary, sadly a couple of the other ones are a little on the scary side.

Blessed Be ❤
AllieAllison (28 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-11)
thats sweet! Have you ever thought of going back there? Did you ever say good bye?

Allison
hersweetestdesire (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-11)
I loved this one. Good to know not all ghost stories have to be scary to be entertaining. Have you ever thought about going back to see if he still taunts the residents?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: